Tomix - New Releases

Hello,

I refer to Tomix 98942 which was released in May.  http://www.1999.co.jp/10304585  

I have been interested in this product for some time and it seem to be widely available.  However, I note that it includes one silver a/c on car 1 and all others are matt grey.

Can anyone explain this?

The car in question, Kumoha 115-318, had its cooler replaced, hence the different look. It is a AU75G model: http://kakeyama.fan.coocan.jp/parts/cooler/cooler2.htm 

Hello Mr EF65-1100,

I note that 115-318 has AU75G cooler, but in real it appears to be made of the same material as other coolers.

JRE115HolidayRapidKamakura.JPG

115-318 is the nearest car.  In real, it appears the same as other cars.  So, why has Tomix made it look so different?

Hello Mr EF65-1100,

I note that 115-318 has AU75G cooler, but in real it appears to be made of the same material as other coolers.

115-318 is the nearest car.  In real, it appears the same as other cars.  So, why has Tomix made it look so different?

I honestly don't really know. Unless Tomix is modelling just a certain time period.

I did find a picture that makes the AU75G unit look a little more shiny:

http://file.jnr.blog.shinobi.jp/1000355.jpg

Not a high resolution picture but I think this colour is where Tomix based its model on.

Doesn't Kato release models that are a bit prototypically incorrect as the Roundhouse line? Does Tomix ever do this?

Does Tomix ever do this?

Mostly in the Tomytec range and usually labeled for the fictious Tomii dentetsu or blank for modding.

On the other hand, the cooler seemed to be a temporary fix applied as a replacement until the set was retired and the reason could be that there were no working spare units from the original type. In this case painting is usually done at the next general service/repaint of the whole set, but if they wanted to salvage the new unit after the set was scrapped, then they might have choosen not to paint it at all. All i could gather is that the set was retired in 2014 and it ran with the new cooler for a relatively short time. Also there is a possibility that the car in question was only used to test the new cooler unit. (it happens with soon to be retired sets to be used as testbeds, since there is no need to restore them afterwards)

Ha!

Hello again,

Yes, I have the answer.  The model is period set at the time of replacement of the cooler.  Thus it is shiny, before the metal has time to oxidize, and the other coolers are grey because they have lost their shine.  Very interesting, but not clearly described by Tomix.  The question now is whether I want such a consist?

• Like 3

Hello, I have some questions about the upcoming powered Tomix Cassiopeia generator car. 

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10163995

The HobbySearch description mentions "equipped with variable speed equipment to match the speed of the locomotive."  

So there is a mechanism to adjust the speed of the generator car to the EF81 or EF510-500 hauling the Cassiopeia consist?  If true, that is a neat feature that I haven't seen before anywhere.  

post-2369-0-02253700-1436118048_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Are there other sets that have powered cars (where the prototype would not be powered) to assist the locomotive?

I think it is quite a smart idea.  Dunno if 2 motor units is really needed to pull 12 cars.  But it is something Tomix does.

I think the real thing only provides power for the train's lighting and aircon, or HEP as the Americans call it, not tractive power to move the train.  I can't think why you would need such a thing in N scale either, I have never had any problems with locos pulling my full Kato Cassiopia train, with the light weight of Japanese N scale cars and traction tyres on all locos it seems an unnecessary expense and complication.  Maybe the Tomix cars roll like bricks.

Tomix cars actually roll very nicely, especially the newer ones with all metal axleboxes, axle tip pickups and real spring secondary suspensions. The problem is usually high grades, when you are trying to pull up a 12 or 16 car consist on a 4 or 8% grade. Then having multiple locomotives could help. On the other hand, Tomix boxcab electric locos are strong and heavy enough to pull 16 cars alone and the cassiopeia diesels should be used in pairs.

My problem with the powered car is that when you switch locos midway, you have to modify the speed setting and this means you have to lift the car up, which makes switching locos by shunting impossible.

On the other hand, having multiple power units for longer emu-s can be nice, since it's easier to make a power car with 100% underfloor drive if the motor is smaller. For consists with separable sub sets, having multiple motors is good if you decide to run them disconnected. (like some of the 103 series sets) Usually there is a choice of powered or dummy extension sets though, so everyone can choose what they like.

8%, that's 1 in 12.5.  Usui Pass wasn't that steep. :wacko:

The problem is horizontal compression. You can selectively compress a 10 km long section into 6 meters instead of 66, but you can't compress the vertical clearence needed to cross one track above another. This is how many layouts end up with very steep grades. (8% is actually more like Hakone Tozan than the Usui) Personally i woud choose to get the unpowered generator car and run with locomotive traction only.

Wow. Those are some pretty radical announcements from Tomytec. They are now entering the realm of World Kogei and other more obscure manufacturers. I welcome the development of smaller power units!

This is exactly the same power unit that was used as power bogie in the 20th train collection open deck cars and the small sticker toy trains. Only the base frame around the power bogie is different. (the 20 meter car had a normal frame where the bogie could rotate, the sticker unit had a rectangular fixed frame and now we have a weighted train collection frame with standard coupler mounts. I think i'm going to buy quite a bit of these small freight trams and the power units.

I like the footbridges.  I knew they where coming, but didn't realize the could connect with the modern station buildings.  Interesting to note, then footbridge has a elevator, but the station building does not. haha

The SL Yamaguchi has tickled my fancy moreso.  C57 w/ red rods + brown Series 12 coaches. Hmmm?

Edited by katoftw

Finally!

A nice multi point overhead bridge that we see oh-so-often in Japan, and it's a nice touch it connects to the entrance of the existing Tomix Overhead station! That is a must get ~

The large bridge is like an extension of the existing foot bridge, but it really doesn't look that big...

What happened to the Shell station is a mystery... The Shell tankers are ready for pre-order but the station is not...

A Kiha-261? Interesting... Only Kato used to have this ..

Also waiting for the high rise buildings. That would be interesting ~

Totally forgot about the Shell Station.  All they have to do is use the yellow Kygnus petrol station and change the decals.  Maybe that is why it isn't up for pre-order so early.  It is just a simple release.