Tomix - New Releases

I'm not here to agrue Tomix vs Kato. Like some have turned this it into.

I made a statement about one aspect of Kato's offerings. As someone wanted further clarification on my statement.

Edited by katoftw

Your one sided statement leaves open the comparison of what may be reasonable with manufactures in the biz. Others here were just commenting on your statement.

jeff

On 4/5/2023 at 9:40 PM, katoftw said:

Yes and no.

Kato's laziness towards shinkansen models involves:-

1. Not updating models to today's standards. @disturbman explanation suits.

2. 8 car model incorrect as using 16 car molds. Eva and helly kitty were prime examples.

3. Never even doing some shinkansens from 15-20 year old services.  Railstar, JRW Kodama etc.

Makes sense, appreciate your detailed explanation!

Sorry everyone, I did not intend to trigger a Kato vs Tomix debate. I respect them both a lot, although do wish Tomix were easier adaptable to DCC.

Edited by Aleks
jappomania

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!   4500JPY more for the gift I think 😂 , but depend from the shop discount

it start the same 800系 way of life, more models than real fleet but this time is too easy (probably inside Jr Kyushu there is somebody that think there is not enough writings on this trains serie)

disturbman

Person is called Eiji Mitooka, he is a designer. And this is probably the worst special livery I have ever seen on a Japanese train.

• Thanks 1

This month's poster is up. For layout builders, the new layout planning software with 3D mode and the new curved turnouts with synthetic sleepers might come handy.

• Like 1

Also first ready to run ISO tank containers in HO. Hope this starts the ball rolling for alternative container types.

New gorgeous station! 🚉 And some trains too 🙂 Also Railset D with PX280 with synthetic sleepers.

And it almost instantly sold out on Hobby Search lol. Always a ringing endorsement.

But the idea of having a station on an embankment is interesting, especially if you build up the terrain to different levels on each side.

I like the fact that Tomix have given multiple options to use the station and footbridge elements. I do like the idea of steps up to the platform rather than a regular ground level track and footbridge over the top.  I'm a little undecided about the embankment pieces as usually this kind of construction would be on the side of a mountain cutting, only necessitating a single sided embankment. The twin sided double rail could be used to good effect in urban settings with multiple train companies crossing over each other but not sure this station would match that environment. I'm sure there is an exact example of this type of twin sided rail embankment and station design somewhere in Japan.

I'm also quite happy about the Keiyo Rinkai KD55. These little DD13 type engines just look great shuffling some cargo.

Edited by Kamome

I too slept on that station. As it's vaguely of interest to me. Though for my application it would be set up single-sided on the embankment. However as I've set my embankments up for double height single track, the platform will work, but the access steps not so much. I'd also need to source more embankment to use the full-length platform.  Would also mean that I'd have an even longer module to build, I so far have a straight 1.12m long embankment and bridge to work with

On 7/24/2023 at 1:49 AM, bill937ca said:

Tomix 3240 and PC Wide Rail.

https://www.tomytec.co.jp/tomix/products/n/3228.html

Que? I have all of those parts just assembled as a double-height (P10) single-track embankment. Going by the information.  here https://www.tomytec.co.jp/tomix/products/n/4299.html point 3, specifically calls out that the steps only work with embankments, one embankment unit high (P4). In that state, my P10 high bridge won't join up to the embankments without either lowering the baseboard under the bridge or I turn the embankment into a tetris L and place a block under the station platform section of the embankment. Doing that frees up some embankment pieces and would add space for the platform.

Edit: I forgot how many embankment pieces I have, for I have enough parts to do 6 units of double-height embankment and it currently has 4 WP-140S and 2 WP-140 signals. So I actually have closer to 1.4 meters of straight to design a module for

Edited by Rod.H
SwallowAngel
7 hours ago, katoftw said:

I ain't rushing out to buy the new N'EX. Ewww.

Same here. The black makes a much nicer contrast to the white in comparison to the weird looking silver. Also It seems a bit unnecessary to plaster the train type on the nose, rather than the "N'EX"-Logo and title

On 8/12/2023 at 4:25 AM, katoftw said:

I ain't rushing out to buy the new N'EX. Ewww.

I wont purchase the new version of N'EX I really don't like

Moreover ... are they thinking of tourists or train fans ? N'EX on front doors was useful to indetify it in a blink. E259 font ... I won't say anything about it ... to make sure I'm not starting an unuseful controversy. 

It's definitely less useful, but that's just the continuation of what was done on the E353, which already have the series number in largish size on the front. I could see it spread to other trains, like some sort of lowkey Mitookism.

Edited by disturbman

Tomix upcoming release info is out

https://www.tomytec.co.jp/tomix/information/img/pdf/poster230914-2.pdf

https://www.tomytec.co.jp/tomix/information/img/pdf/poster230914-1.pdf

https://www.tomytec.co.jp/tomix/information/img/pdf/poster230914-3.pdf

Is anyone collecting the Disney Waku Waku 800s? Do we need any more?  I often see a lot of them in the used sections of railway shops.

• Like 2