Tomix - New Releases

Welshbloke

That EF81-300 is rather lovely. Am I right in thinking the more expensive "High Grade" version simply has all the detailing parts factory fitted, rather than a pile of sprues to add?

9 hours ago, Welshbloke said:

That EF81-300 is rather lovely. Am I right in thinking the more expensive "High Grade" version simply has all the detailing parts factory fitted, rather than a pile of sprues to add?

As far as I know, the Prestige version have factory fitted parts, but I believe the handrails are painted brass wire rather than just the plastic ones pre-attached. I am also under the impression that the pantographs on the prestige models are metal rather than the very flexible plastic that the base ones are made from.  I have a couple of Tomix locos with pantographs slightly bent from the box that need replacing. Points to Kato for using metal pantographs on all their HO locos.

Imon produce metal pantagraphs and Fuji model handrails if you want to upgrade the non-Prestige versions. Metal parts would equate to about ¥13000 which takes you up to a similar price.

What I don't know is whether these are always standard or whether it differs model to model.

On the DF200 as example, hand rails, coupler release levers, air hoses, signal flares and wipers are metal on the Prestige version. Obviously no pantagraph, but previous Prestige EF81s had metal ones. Everything else is plastic such as the shunters step, whistles, radio antenna. Wipers are metal parts on the basic version anyway. 

You'd obviously still need to add the maker plates, loco numbers and shed allocation.

Edited by Kamome