Tomix - New Releases

22 hours ago, katoftw said:

10956473b2.jpg.5770a98a5d5906a0c0d13c20b359124f.jpg

What are these actually depicting?  Looks like and oil/fuel depot and a city?  Which city?

The castle looks like a decent representation of Nagoya Castle and the tower is Nagoya TV Tower.  I guess it's Nagoya Dome at the right. The high rised buildings are maybe only generic reprentations? The skyscrapers that dominates the Nagoya skyline today are all fairly new and I presume didn't exist when this piece of art was made.

Does anyone recognise that shark fin shaped structure?

Edit: Some day I migh learn to spot mistakes before pressing the submit button, but it's unlikely...

Edited by MeTheSwede
4 minutes ago, MeTheSwede said:

The skyscrapers that dominates the Nagoya skyline today are all fairly new and I presume didn't exist when this piece of art was made.

The locomotive was just unveiled, I thought the "artwork" has been made for the occasion.

Maybe they just ignored all skyscrapers because Nagoya Castle must be the tallest and most important building. 

And yes it works, putting Nagoya Castle on it in such a prominent place makes it a tempting buy... 😅

On 2/9/2023 at 11:44 PM, Kamome said:

City of Aichi (Nagoya?) and Industrial area of Mie prefecture according to this Twitter post.

This is assumedly how they got Aimi 

Aichi-Mie

Tomix article explains the head mark is not included on the model which seems a missed opportunity. 

When you look at the photos shots in service, this head mark is not on the locomotive. It has been put there probably for the rollout and one or two runs, no more. Anyway, it could have been offered by Tomix as option. 

JM. 

Because it's a DMU and is self-propelled irl. It avoids having an helper loco on the other side as is usual on SL trains. Imo, for what it is, it's not über expensive. The special livery models by Tomix are always more expensive than their regular sets.

Interestingly, the motorized car come "with a speed adjustment mechanism for cooperation with C58 type".

Edited by disturbman

I would guess the same setup as they fit to their powered KaNis and relations, there's a tiny potentiometer to adjust so it doesn't fight the loco.

Latest Tomix announcement includes a re-run of the Yumekukan, presumably nudged by Kato planning it in HO. Kind of expected they'd either do that or offer the three unique cars in the First Car Museum series.

another E7..... 🤔

92530   E7系北陸新幹線基本セット(3両)     10,780                 
92531   E7系北陸新幹線増結セットA(3両)     8,470                 
92532   E7系北陸新幹線増結セットB(6両)     18,040

total 37.290

98530     E7系北陸・上越新幹線基本セット(4両)     (予)16,720
98531     E7系北陸・上越新幹線増結セットA(4両)     (予)12,100
98532     E7系北陸・上越新幹線増結セットB(4両)     (予)15,840

total 44.660

20% more for whats? just some windows blinded, black stripes on the rooftop and a couple of M13 motor (sincerly I don't see any miracle with this motor type compared with the oldest, it's gold plated?).. and maybe Made in China or Vietnam?

I'm start to be tired....😤

14 minutes ago, disturbman said:

10 years and raw material price increase.

and 10 years old mold already used 6 times so the mortgage has been paid I think (E7 and W7 standard set, E7 And W7 special release - same as the first set but in a single box - E7 Toki and now...)

I don't think the price for 200-300gr of ABS pellet change so much, the first releases are made in Japan, the last are made, China and for what I can see the quality is going down (molding quality, paint, errors ...  comparison for me is simple, I just need to remeber where I stored the boxes and open them to see)

just a comparison with Kato, the last 300 series have a similar price but is a complete new project and 16 cars set (made in Japan), the next 500 series based on the old mold but with some mold improvement mantain a similar price

Kato 500 Nozomi from Hobby Search for 16 cars

1999 > 29640 JPY
2006 > 30590 JPY
2023 > 31050 JPY

time passed for both....

1 hour ago, disturbman said:

10 years and raw material price increase.

Not just raw material, literally everything gets more pricey. Wages, taxation, the rent of your building or tax on the ground it stands on in case its your own. I dont really think you can compare anything, model train or not, with prices from 10 years ago.

For sure, but this discussion forgets that Japan has been in an almost 0 inflation buble since the 80s crash. Though it's seen an increase now. And, in any case, as much as inflation has been non-existent in Japan, it has been present around it.

We are not economists, but I think there is enough information available that it should be obvious to everyone that there is a pressure on model prices at the moment. Other manufacturers have been raising their prices due to material and wage increases. It's true for Micro Ace, and it's true for other non-Japanese manufacturers as well.

Micro Ace as been particularly badly hit I think. They seem to have raised their prices the most. And I believe that Kato is also seeing low price increase as well, but they manufacture in Japan and could have secured their materials before the recent increase in prices.

Anyway, I don't find the "Oh, my god, price increase!" very interesting. It doesn't bring anything. That conversation needs to be framed in the larger, regional and worldwide economic context. Then it can be analyzed.

Edited by disturbman
  • Like 1
8 hours ago, disturbman said:

Because it's a DMU and is self-propelled irl. It avoids having an helper loco on the other side as is usual on SL trains. Imo, for what it is, it's not über expensive. The special livery models by Tomix are always more expensive than their regular sets.

Interestingly, the motorized car come "with a speed adjustment mechanism for cooperation with C58 type".

I get what it is in real life. But will anyone run the kiha not attached to the loco?

Good that it comes with one of those adjustable helper motor units. I didnt see that detail.  Solves the concern of poor running of two conflicting motors.  Which was why I mention what I did.

3 minutes ago, katoftw said:

But will anyone run the kiha not attached to the loco?

I'm considering it 😁

4 minutes ago, katoftw said:

Which was why I mention what I did.

I see. One had to read quite between the lines on that one 😉

4 hours ago, disturbman said:

For sure, but this discussion forgets that Japan has been in an almost 0 inflation buble since the 80s crash. Though it's seen an increase now. And, in any case, as much as inflation has been non-existent in Japan, it has been present around it.

Deflation has been the issue in Japan since the late 1990s. Products would come out and stay on the market for  years with only the occasional rerun. Tomix and Greenmax structures are a good example of this.

Here is an example of Japan versus EU versus US inflation.      https://www.worlddata.info/asia/japan/inflation-rates.php

More recent train prices seem to be driven by what the market will bear, upgraded new design costs and licensing than inflation. 

DAAAAAAAAMMMMIIIIITTTTT!

Another new steam locomotive? My wallet will hate me... but I must have. A true-scale, ready-to-run C58 has been on my wish list of locomotives I would love to have for some time. Now it's here along with one of the most unique trains I've seen (and cannot ride as it'll have retired by the time I travel to Japan in May!).

I also noticed that the Nagoya Rinkai Railway DD55 diesels are on offer; having seen two of the second-series units back in 2019 while heading to SCMaglev, I may have to justify one for the holiday memories and some new KoKis for it to play with. Prototype photos follow for DD55 213 (left) and what I suspect to be DD55 215 (right), taken from an Aonami Line train on my iPod camera as I headed back from Kinjofuto:

IMG_2260.thumb.JPG.ceff892fa213a75922097788baeeafbb.JPG  IMG_2257.thumb.JPG.d9602d6efad65fbe4a203718da15fdca.JPG 

According to Japanese Wikipedia, the DD55 (second series) was created when NRR took over eight DD13s from the Japanese National Railways and the JNR Liquidation Corporation between 1980 and 1988. Today only a few are still running, as JR Freight has now provided new HD300s to take over the work. Now, when's Tomix finally going to do one of those I wonder?

Alastair

Edited by ED75-775
Pictures do not cooperate...
  • Like 2

Hi guys!

I have seen that Tomix is going to release the Yumekukan set (https://www.tomytec.co.jp/tomix/products/n/92792.html).

However, it is not very clear what needs to be bought to have the complete formation for the train, as it is related to JR Hokutosei (Tomix 98835 and 98836).

Do you know if you need to buy the 98836 expansion set, or instead buy single carriages?

Cheers 🙂

Tomix pictures shows that you would need to buy three individual cars, two 9532 (25-100) and one 9531 (25-200), to make their described consist.

• Like 1
On 3/24/2023 at 2:17 PM, disturbman said:

Tomix pictures shows that you would need to buy three individual cars, two 9532 (25-100) and one 9531 (25-200), to make their described consist.

But doesn't it look like there is no motor car in the whole formation? I mean, I have been researching, and looks that you need to buy the motor car separately. I found there was a Tomix 92950 set with a red EF81 included with the Hokutosei logo, but seems to be already sold out... why couldn't they explain this a bit better? :S

2 hours ago, Shinjinkun said:

But doesn't it look like there is no motor car in the whole formation? I mean, I have been researching, and looks that you need to buy the motor car separately. I found there was a Tomix 92950 set with a red EF81 included with the Hokutosei logo, but seems to be already sold out... why couldn't they explain this a bit better? :S

That's clearly a loco hauled train. The motor is in the loco.

Most people buying older retired model set known a few details about train. Hence no need for heavy beginner style details.

But I think the diagrams provided are self explanatory, even if in Japanese.

Edited by katoftw

Just got notification from Amazon JP that the TOMIX 98817 Nishikyushu Shinkansen N700S 8000 Series Kamome has shipped.  So other should be getting notifications as well.  Hopefully no issues like the E4 Max.

@Shinjinkun I invite you to look closely at the twitter announcement Katem posted a few posts above yours. Tomix announced two Hokkutosei locomotives alongside the coach sets.

If you google the name of the train, you will also see that it was pulled by a wide variety of locomotives, EF65, EF510, as well non-Hokkutosei EF81 and DD51.

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, Bob Martin said:

Just got notification from Amazon JP that the TOMIX 98817 Nishikyushu Shinkansen N700S 8000 Series Kamome has shipped.  So other should be getting notifications as well.  Hopefully no issues like the E4 Max.

Me too! Cannot wait! Been a while since my last new train