Tomix - New Releases

18 hours ago, cteno4 said:

scrapple, everything not fit to go into spam! Yes it was the start of our club. I like it, but the gray color out of the package takes getting use to as normally food that color is spoiled! Have not tried the sage, will have to next club annual meeting.

jeff

ps guilty admission, I do have spam maybe every month or two…

I've not had Scrapple, but Spam is awesome fried.  My daughter has taken a liking to it.   (All the salt and fat if you ask me)

It is also the unofficial state food in Hawaii.  They make a form of sushi with it.  Not had it but am assured it is good.

Spam Masubi is basically sushi rice and fried spam with a nori wrap to hold it all together. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spam_musubi it is tasty and makes for a nice little sandwich of sorts.

yes mostly fat and salt and why I rarely eat it. Spam and baked beans were my mom’s oh crap it’s late and we need dinner and nothing in the fridge when I was a kid, so I got a taste for it. It’s good with teriyaki sauce or baked with brown sugar, mustard, vinegar, and cloves glaze. It was a weekly staple in my poorer days of grad school and hence something that’s still fun to have now and then!

spam, spam, spam, spam, lovely SPAM, wonderful SPAM!

cheers,

jeff

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
4 hours ago, cteno4 said:

spam, spam, spam, spam, lovely SPAM, wonderful SPAM!

Do you give a state  of the spam speech???   😛

• Haha 1

I must admit I am a closet spam fan and I do stick up for it when it’s being maligned by friends! Scrapple, well it’s ok but I don’t have the same fond feelings as spam…

jeff

On 9/21/2022 at 8:27 AM, railsquid said:

Some more issues:

Oh dear!

The paint on this example looks very heavily applied, even with the scratches. It looks a bit like they had already painted over some errors, like the original paint was sprayed too thick and dried like sandpaper. Was this release delayed and rushed out?

As for the motor issue, is this a problem in using the Kato Hyper DX? I have an older Hyper D and some non-Kato trains just don't like it. 

No idea really, I already have one Tomix E4 which is enough for my modest Shinkansen needs ;).

Seems someone is unsatisfied with the canned response they got from Tomix to his complaint (in which Tomix requests him to send it to them via pay-on-delivery post and he seems annoyed by the prospect of waiting 2 months for it to be dealt with).

6 hours ago, railsquid said:

Seems someone is unsatisfied with the canned response they got from Tomix to his complaint (in which Tomix requests him to send it to them via pay-on-delivery post and he seems annoyed by the prospect of waiting 2 months for it to be dealt with).

Afaik, which is often how Japanese manufacturers deal with sets that need repairs. But seeing the damage, they should just exchange the unsatisfactory sets if they can. Though I'm not sure they have enough sets to cover the number of faulty sets.

• Like 1

My E4 Final Run arrives Monday.  Hopefully it’s all good, otherwise wonder how Amazon JP handles long distance returns.

My original E4 (92548) wasn’t great quality.  Was the thinnest plastic body I’ve ever seen on a Tomix, severe light leakage.  Had to add liner tape to correct.

1 hour ago, katoftw said:

See it back free of charge and be without it for two months.

Or wait a month or two and they'll send out replacements parts free of charge.

Tomix will send out overseas, for free?  How do they know you have an issue, they don’t service out of Japan AFAIK.

Edited by Bob Martin
15 hours ago, railsquid said:

These automated responses are frustrating and I think all manufacturers would always state your first point of contact should be with the retailer. I’m sure the frustration comes from the fact that the product cannot be replaced at this stage, but for those who’ve been waiting for this commemorative last run set, it’s a bit of a let down. Seems quite an oversight for a large company like Tamara Tomy and I would say the focus was fulfilling orders rather than QC.

I dealt with Tomix customer service myself when my HO gauge ED78 arrived with a broken part. Yodobashi online still haven’t responded to the complaint to this day, but Tomix asked for me to send it to them. I explained sending the replacement part would resolve the problem quicker for me and be cheaper for them.  They were very accommodating and responded to me very promptly. 

Maybe this guy has already faced challenges with the retailer. I know some predominantly online sellers are famed for their non-japanese style of customer service.

It was a sad day when Tomix closed their shop in Omiya and moved to that dinky office in Kanda.  You’d think they’d have a better presence for such a major player.

The Final Run edition isn’t even that great, I just should have done the E4 decal work myself as I did on the E3.  My Tohoku Region (first pic) is a nice thin waterslide decal.  Tomix slaps on some thick paper sticker (second pic).

AC63D198-BFFB-4085-84F0-8CAE82F4C98E.thumb.png.79d7b4676dc6da4500d6b4e21a464c84.png

A6574696-897F-4471-91AA-1070DB7AC8EE.thumb.jpeg.30b009e93e6143127a81961d426ed43b.jpeg

Hi guys!

Do you know how often do they restock normal products like rail sets?

https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/dp/B01LWJJN1C/

I was about to buy it, but then it was out of stock, and is much more inconvenient buying it from other retailers.

I thought that a product like this shouldn't be out of stock as much as limited edition trains, but who knows... 😞

P.D. Let me know if I should have posted this message in another thread, please.

Edited by Shinjinkun

With Japanese trains it’s hard to tell as they keep few things in constant production/stock at the manufacturers. Track is one that usually is, but this being a set may be longer between production runs, so it will depend how much is left in stock at Tomix/distributors. Amazon is also a bit of a squirrelly beast as well with how much they stock and what they regularly restock. I’ve put things in my cart just to bookmark them and I see things pop in and out of stock all the time when I’m in the cart later. It also has a lot of shops reselling on amazon as well so that causes more fluctuations. Use to be amazon was very spotty on what was stocked and restocked themselves, but of late seem to be stocking more items and don’t seem to come and go as much.

I doubt anyone can give you a definitive answer on this one. If it seems well in stock other places give amazon a few days or week if you can if not may need to go to another source if you really need it and soon.

good luck,

jeff

• Like 1

At a quick look this set appears to be available in Japan via the places I'd expect to find it...

From general experience, Tomix track items are released regularly but if a batch of something has sold out (as usually happens just when I need a particular item) it will take a couple of months for the next batch to reach the market.

• Like 4

Tomix shows this item as being in stock / production planned.  

https://www.tomytec.co.jp/tomix/stocklist/detail.cgi?keyword=91026&srchmode=select

Now that page is more for dealers. BUT I did use it a month or so ago to kick start an order with Hobby Search.  They had fewer items than I wanted in stock. I cancelled an existing order and told them it was in stock at Tomix and that I would reorder when it came into stock. I think that was a day or two and I got my sets. Also ordered another within a week. BUT I have been dealing with Hobby Search since 2007!

You can try contacting the dealer and tell them it is in stock at Tomix.

Edited by bill937ca
  • Like 3
7 hours ago, Shinjinkun said:

It is much more inconvenient buying it from other retailers.

Depends why you find the other sellers inconvenient. But if it’s due to Amazon pre-clearance, Hobby Search also offers pre-clearance, at least up to 150€ in item value. And AmiAmi and Railgallery-Rokko offer DHL Express as shipping option, which requests online custom duties payment before delivery.

Edited by disturbman
  • Like 3
9 hours ago, cteno4 said:

With Japanese trains it’s hard to tell as they keep few things in constant production/stock at the manufacturers. Track is one that usually is, but this being a set may be longer between production runs, so it will depend how much is left in stock at Tomix/distributors. Amazon is also a bit of a squirrelly beast as well with how much they stock and what they regularly restock. I’ve put things in my cart just to bookmark them and I see things pop in and out of stock all the time when I’m in the cart later. It also has a lot of shops reselling on amazon as well so that causes more fluctuations. Use to be amazon was very spotty on what was stocked and restocked themselves, but of late seem to be stocking more items and don’t seem to come and go as much.

I doubt anyone can give you a definitive answer on this one. If it seems well in stock other places give amazon a few days or week if you can if not may need to go to another source if you really need it and soon.

good luck,

jeff

Yes, I checked with keepa, and saw that there was a big gap of out of stock for the product between February 2020 to July 2021... that I find quite strange being a regular product. Yes, I know it is available in other retailers, but more expensive and less convenient. 

9 hours ago, railsquid said:

At a quick look this set appears to be available in Japan via the places I'd expect to find it...

From general experience, Tomix track items are released regularly but if a batch of something has sold out (as usually happens just when I need a particular item) it will take a couple of months for the next batch to reach the market.

Yes, I already saw it in other places, but slightly more expensive and, taking in consideration the shipping fees, in the long run is not as convenient. 

8 hours ago, bill937ca said:

Tomix shows this item as being in stock / production planned.  

https://www.tomytec.co.jp/tomix/stocklist/detail.cgi?keyword=91026&srchmode=select

Now that page is more for dealers. BUT I did use it a month or so ago to kick start an order with Hobby Search.  They had fewer items than I wanted in stock. I cancelled an existing order and told them it was in stock at Tomix and that I would reorder when it came into stock. I think that was a day or two and I got my sets. Also ordered another within a week. BUT I have been dealing with Hobby Search since 2007!

You can try contacting the dealer and tell them it is in stock at Tomix.

Ohh, I didn't know about that stocklist page in tomytec site. When you said "try contacting the dealer and tell them it is in stock at Tomix", do you mean contacting Amazon for them to restock? Just wondering about it...

3 hours ago, disturbman said:

Depends why you find the other sellers inconvenient. But if it’s due to Amazon pre-clearance, Hobby Search also offers pre-clearance, at least up to 150€ in item value. And AmiAmi and Railgallery-Rokko offer DHL Express as shipping option, which requests online custom duties payment before delivery.

Well, for starters, Amazon removes all the custom headaches being under or above 150€. I have been using zenmarket lately because at least they offer IOSS (under 150€), so had ordered a few things from Amiami through zenmarket. 

I wasn't aware about Hobby Search offering IOSS. I suppose I will have to investigate that a little more.

Finally, about Amiami and Railgallery, should I suppose that DHL charges for that prepayment?? Because, in the end, I am trying to avoid paying extra for something I should be able to do myself.

Thanks to all for the responses.

1 hour ago, Shinjinkun said:

should I suppose that DHL charges for that prepayment?

Yes, depending on the size of the order, it might be worth it as Ami and RGR are usually (much) cheaper than the alternatives.

10 hours ago, Shinjinkun said:

Finally, about Amiami and Railgallery, should I suppose that DHL charges for that prepayment?? Because, in the end, I am trying to avoid paying extra for something I should be able to do myself.

Usually at RGR, I'm paying with Wise ... Saving couple of % more ... the less you pay, the less the VAT is as it's a stupid percentage. 

My experience with DHL+RGR (I always had orders above 150 €): DHL is doing the custom declaration & collect taxes mainly VAT, charging add fees for that (10-15 € VAT included if I don't mind). Anyway, even the French Post is now collecting VAT, the so-called 'colis taxé', but I really find DHL more convenient as I'm not obliged :

1 - to be there (no prior notice of La Poste, so that you never know when they come)

2 - to be obliged to write a bank check ... as it's not possible to pay online or with a credit card

3 - If I'm not at home to be obliged to go to the post office on saturday morning with all those retired people queuing whereas they have all the week to go to the post office. 

JM.

• Like 1