Tomix - New Releases

20 hours ago, Shinjinkun said:

On a completely different note, I am also interested in the Mizukaze train (tomix 97912). I think probably happens the same thing with Tomix-Kato versions. Kato limited edition has been discontinued since 2019, and the f* scalpers are selling it for 600€+ all over ebay... Is it possible that Tomix will re-release the train somewhere in the future (I'm not in a rush, really...).

Finally, the last one I am looking for is the Kyushuu seven stars, nanatsuboshi. Is there any version planned or released that I don't know about?

Wow @Shinjinkun you have picked all of the exclusive sets which have so far only been released once.  The Tomix Shiki shima may encourage another run of the cruise trains from both manufacturers but it’s hard to say. Kato are proabably less likely to do a re-release than Tomix but never say never. 

The sets weren’t the cheapest when released, around ¥40,000, but avoid the scalpers selling at double the price. On Mercari most 7 stars sets are around the ¥50,000 mark which is not unreasonable. Look at Yahoo auctions too. Second hand Japanese stuff is often well looked after, but a trip to Japan would be the best way to get the deals! 

11 hours ago, Kamome said:

Wow @Shinjinkun you have picked all of the exclusive sets which have so far only been released once.  The Tomix Shiki shima may encourage another run of the cruise trains from both manufacturers but it’s hard to say. Kato are proabably less likely to do a re-release than Tomix but never say never. 

The sets weren’t the cheapest when released, around ¥40,000, but avoid the scalpers selling at double the price. On Mercari most 7 stars sets are around the ¥50,000 mark which is not unreasonable. Look at Yahoo auctions too. Second hand Japanese stuff is often well looked after, but a trip to Japan would be the best way to get the deals! 

Yes, indeed, @Kamome, is really unlucky they were released only once. The actual reason is because around 2018-2019 I was still living in the UK, and in 2019 I moved back to Spain. I had to cancel all pre-orders and start behaving in "low budget mode". Also, around that time, I wasn't into full n-gage trains (only had b train shortys). I like those three (shiki-shima, mizukaze and nanatsuboshi) because they are the deluxe trains I will probably never be able to ride in...

Even 40 or 50k is far too much for me at the moment. I am still struggling with deciding if buying the tomix kit or not... :S

@Shinjinkun, I think a lot of us can relate. It's not easy to block so much money without knowing exactly if your financial situaiton will allow you to pay for the pre-order.

You can always pre-order the basic set and then wait to buy the add-on, it will help you spred out the costs over several months.

But do consider YJA if your finances are weak. They are a good source. Sets are usually in incredible shape and the sellers are very upfront about any issues, or even overly cautious to list items as "junk". I once bought a set that was listed as "junk" because the pantograph had popped out. Otherwise, the set was in mint condition and never run. The fix was easy. The other advantage is that proxies give you the possibility to store your items for at least a month, which can help dilute the costs. Win an auction one month and then ship it the next. You can further dilute the cost by chosing SAL and paying import duties two months later.

My recommendation would be, observe the prices of your wanted sets on YJA for a month or so. See how much they actually sell for and then decide if you can pay for them or not, or if you prefer to pre-order the Tomix. You have a few months to pull the trigger on this.

Edited by disturbman
  • Like 3
23 hours ago, Shinjinkun said:

I know zenmarket, I already bought a couple things from there. Regarding buyee, I will take a look. The problem I see is that I could have problems with local customs if I were to buy through those platforms. Amazon is safe because they use IOSS, so it arrives home without stopping in customs. The issues of living in Europe with the new legislation...

Zenmarket is registered into IOSS as well so you just pay it directly just like you are used with Amazon. Had some bureaucratic problems with one package in the beginning when IOSS was introduced but since then there was no problem using both DHL and EMS.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, disturbman said:

@Shinjinkun, I think a lot of us can relate. It's not easy to block so much money without knowing exactly if your financial situaiton will allow you to pay for the pre-order.

You can always pre-order the basic set and then wait to buy the add-on, it will help you spred out the costs over several months.

But do consider YJA if your finances are weak. They are a good source. Sets are usually in incredible shape and the sellers are very upfront about any issues, or even overly cautious to list items as "junk". I once bought a set that was listed as "junk" because the pantograph had popped out. Otherwise, the set was in mint condition and never run. The fix was easy. The other advantage is that proxies give you the possibility to store your items for at least a month, which can help dilute the costs. Win an auction one month and then ship it the next. You can further dilute the cost by chosing SAL and paying import duties two months later.

My recommendation would be, observe the prices of your wanted sets on YJA for a month or so. See how much they actually sell for and then decide if you can pay for them or not, or if you prefer to pre-order the Tomix. You have a few months to pull the trigger on this.

Yes, I understand what you mean. However, I don't like auctions very much... that uncertainty really kills me XDDD in the past I was used to bid on ebay, using snipping sites, but ever since ebay started being overrun by scammers, I stopped buying from it, apart from safe and cheap things.

I agree that usually, products in Japan are nearly mint. I used to buy a lot in Mandarake, for instance, and never had an issue with it.

The point here is, were I to buy the whole model in Amazon JP right now, it would cost me:

Items:¥34,518

Shipping & handling:¥2,513

Import Fees Deposit:¥10,689

Order total:¥47,720

Holly molly, that's a real kick in my face... T_T That's 340€!

I know it is not an unusual price, but I find it quite expensive, as I am mostly going to use it for display. 😞

13 hours ago, katem said:

Zenmarket is registered into IOSS as well so you just pay it directly just like you are used with Amazon. Had some bureaucratic problems with one package in the beginning when IOSS was introduced but since then there was no problem using both DHL and EMS.

Yes, @katem, I remember now that I read something about zenmarket using IOSS, but thanks for confirming it. It gives peace of mind knowing it. I will take it into consideration.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Shinjinkun said:

The point here is, were I to buy the whole model in Amazon JP right now, it would cost me:

Doesn't Amazon say that if the import fees are less than the deposit they return the difference to you?  (And if they never get the paperwork from the shipper that shows the fees they return the whole deposit).  Ordering from Amazon JP to the US we don't have the "Import Fees Deposit" but for the first time I noticed it ordering from Amazon US and shipping to my Brother in Law in Kobe (Gudetama T-Shirt of all things for his BDay).  We had previously, a month or so ago sent some nice kitchen goblets (glasses) to my Sister in Law in Kobe for her birthday from Amazon US and they didn't collect any fee at that time so this was new to me this past weekend when we ordered the t-shirt.  So I clicked on the Info buttons about it and read all the conditions.

I assume the import fees also includes VAT and stuff?  Amazon, at least with the import fees statements on Amazon US says that they won't come back to you for more if their estimate deposit is too low.

Edited by chadbag
5 hours ago, Shinjinkun said:

Just remember, that's the price of a single DCC Euroloc, and for that price, you get a full 10-car consist.

Same feelings here. 340€ in Japanese content can get you far more in return than any European offers, even considering shipping and VAT.

I wouldn't be in a shopping spree if it wasn't for that.

7 hours ago, disturbman said:

Just remember, that's the price of a single DCC Euroloc, and for that price, you get a full 10-car consist.

Sorry, I don't know the terminology very well. What does "dcc euroloc" mean?

2 hours ago, Giugiaro said:

Same feelings here. 340€ in Japanese content can get you far more in return than any European offers, even considering shipping and VAT.

I wouldn't be in a shopping spree if it wasn't for that.

I never bought anything in Europe, so I am not aware of the normal pricing 😛

By the way, I just checked amazon, and the tomix train is sold out... so that answers it... no train for me 😛

40 minutes ago, Shinjinkun said:

Sorry, I don't know the terminology very well. What does "dcc euroloc" mean?

A European locomotive that contains DCC capability.  Ie, a Minitrix/Trix, Fleischmann, or other Euro brand.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, chadbag said:

A European locomotive that contains DCC capability.  Ie, a Minitrix/Trix, Fleischmann, or other Euro brand.

Ahhh, thanks for the clarification. Now I get it 😄

• Like 1

So they made a carbon copy of Micro Ace's latest version, also the AE7 with panto monitering on 2nd car, but for 8000-ish yen cheapr.

http://www.microace-arii.co.jp/release/pdf/A7371.pdf

Point, set, match to Tomix...

Weird though they just didn't offer it as an upgrade kit with the specific part, a jig and a decal sheet.  Say like the air-con units on top of a EF66.

Edited by katoftw
On 6/24/2022 at 12:29 PM, katem said:

TEC STATION has released Keisei Electric Railway AE series (Skyliner, 7th consist) 8-car set (Tomix 93567).

The differences to the ordinary set (Tomix 98694) are

• car numbers are printed (AE7)
  • different operation number printed (AE07)
  • overhead wire monitoring device on the roof of the 2nd car (just like real AE7-2 has)

Ohh, nice.

Is it different from Tomix 97936?

Big announcements by Tomix: GV-H100, E1, DD51 & Chikuho Main line 50 series ordinary express, AT-700, KiHa 35 & 36

Edited by disturbman
  • Like 1

The HO Kumu 1000 look interesting, especially with the Seino trucks to make an unusual early JR freight consist. The 2 car set comes with loading ramp parts. The trucks are being sold separately but should be excellent models on their own and with the Koki 104s and early 18D and JOT UR4 containers being released, should make some nice consists.

Also Tomix following MAs lead with the Chikuho 50 series coaches.

Edited by Kamome
  • Like 1

I have since searched for further information about Kyushu based haulier, Kurume Transport and their "piggyback" trucks. I haven't as yet managed to find any information about them, nor whether this company actually used this technology at the time.  The livery posted by Tomix is their modern truck 7, 10 livery so this may actually be a fictional mock up. Seino had these piggyback trucks which Tomix are releasing. The green and red banded livery of  Fukuyama Transport was pretty common according to photos but perhaps they couldn't secure a suitable license with them. There were also a number of other users like Meitetsu Transport as well as lesser known logisitics companies like Niigata Unyu, Kintetsu and Footwork Express.

I would hope Tomix wouldn't decide to churn out fictional models if indeed Kurume didn't adopt the piggyback service but it would be nice to confirm whether this was the case or not. I am quite interested in adding some of the these wagons to my fleet as they could be weathered up quite nicely with truck loads. The truck models seem to have rubber tyres and turning wheels so would look great on the train. The 2 pack Kumu 1000 sets also have a loading ramp inclusion. The cost is similar to that of the Tomix Koki and the trucks a little more expensive than containers, but nice models in their own right.

• Like 1

ill definitely be putting in an order for the E1... though the price is quite steep. HS1999 has a preorder price of over 43000Y for the combined sets even though theres only 12 cars vs the 16 car N700S etc....😐

Edited by cplchanb

I'm happy they are going to release the Kiha 40-1700 JNR Colour for the Kushiro Depot Anniversary in N as well!

Might get the JR West Kiha 47s too as I already have them in the yellow Hiroshima line livery for my Yamaguchi Line stuff

• Like 1

Three months after MA, Tomix announced it's own Izukyu 3000. MRSP difference is about 5k in favour of MA, if one doesn't notice that the Tomix is 8-car long, when MA only announced a 4-car formation.

Edited by disturbman
  • Like 6