Tomix - New Releases

Jeff, it was already present in 7007 catalog from 1982 (the oldest in my collection), collecting old catalogs, books and magazine is not so expensive if you have somebody in Japan that help you with shipping, shipping cost for standard overseas shipping are cheap but require 2-3 months and it's not so dangerous because aren't items good for thiefs
I bought over 30 years of old JRF magazine.... 🙂

• Like 1

Thanks! That’s really interesting, it predates Ttrak by a couple of decades! Ttrak would have been a better name for Tomix track modules...

so surface mail is still happening? I saw it taken off most all the shipping options quite a few years ago. It’s gone from shipping options out of the us these days!

cheers

jeff

I've recently acquired the Tomix Station on Flyover.  It, like the Kato Overhead Station, is completely lacking in elevators.  So far, I've found two sources for elevator parts.  The Tomix Urban Platform Upgrade kit has the upper end of an elevator rising from the platform, and the Pedestrian Deck has a full elevator tower.  Are there other options tucked away in other kits that might be handy for kitbashing?

It seems a bit rude for out little plastic travellers to have nice new modern stations but with such limited accessibility.

Ciao Jeff,

yes, "surface" option appear still available (sorry, my last used books shopping are dated 6-7 years ago, no more recent news)

https://www.post.japanpost.jp/int/service/i_parcel_en.html

well, is not really so cheap because of weight result (1 year of JRM magazine is around 3--4kg), each yearly cost me total around 50-60€
(a big help from my friend Taisei from Sapporo and Naoto from Shizuoka - yes, "Mr.Nao" from Rainbow Ten, we became friends when I helped him during her job trips for Aoshima)
of course, shipping was all at my risk of lose or robbery
(no tracking, variable time 2-3 month, no claim, just pray and hope... that's the reason because a shop  can't offer this option, just your friends)

ciao

Massimo

Edited by jappomania

Ciao Massimo,

last surface mail I did from japan was like 10 years back, it took about 10 weeks. 

I looked into trying to send over like 150lbs of old Japanese train magizines to our sister club in iwate a few years back and it was gone for an option to send from the USA.

kind of likes the romantic old notion of ship transport for it...

hi to Nao San, tell him we miss rainbow ten! Some of my early purchases from japan was from rainbow ten two decades or more ago! Also miss hobbyworld.

ciao,

jeff

18 hours ago, Cat said:

I've recently acquired the Tomix Station on Flyover.  It, like the Kato Overhead Station, is completely lacking in elevators.  So far, I've found two sources for elevator parts.  The Tomix Urban Platform Upgrade kit has the upper end of an elevator rising from the platform, and the Pedestrian Deck has a full elevator tower.  Are there other options tucked away in other kits that might be handy for kitbashing?

It seems a bit rude for out little plastic travellers to have nice new modern stations but with such limited accessibility.

I've always assumed that they're built into the structure in the Kato ones. There isn't any obvious link between the upper level of the station building and the platforms on the deck above it either, which I explain with an access corridor hidden in the thickness of the deck plates.

In their defense most Japanese train stations don't have wheelchair facilities, or if they do, only specific and sometimes well hidden exits. I just pretend the underground tunnel is wheelchair accessible, as you can purchase underground access points also to put in your station square (tomytec produces them).

• Like 1

More accurately, the Tomix/Kato station designs date from the days when elevators were not common.

I don't have figures to hand, but for the Tokyo area at least my subjective impression is that most stations are ”barrier free", i.e. with elevators and/or ramps and other related facilities (toilets, wide ticket gates etc.).

• Thanks 1
24 minutes ago, railsquid said:

More accurately, the Tomix/Kato station designs date from the days when elevators were not common.

I don't have figures to hand, but for the Tokyo area at least my subjective impression is that most stations are ”barrier free", i.e. with elevators and/or ramps and other related facilities (toilets, wide ticket gates etc.).

Here we go, as of Heisei 29 (2017) ca. 90% of stations with over 3000 daily users were "barrier free", which includes elevators and ramps; that will cover most stations in urban areas and of the type represented by the Tomix/Kato station designs.

https://www.mlit.go.jp/common/001265219.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For our kitbashing projects, both Mito and Katsuta stations were rebuilt c.1994.  They both have elevator and escalator access from outside ground level up to the ticketing concourse level.  Google platform views inside Mito station are limited, but looks like there could be elevators behind the big wide staircases.  I have not seen platform views inside Katsuta.  But, elevator access up to ticketing isn't much help if you can't get down to the platforms.

1 minute ago, railsquid said:

Schematic view of Mito Station:

https://www.ecomo-rakuraku.jp/ja/station_map/水戸/

Can't find one for Katsuta, but from the Wikipedia page it looks like a modern rebuild so reasonable to assume elevators.

That's really helpful, thank you!

Since they were rebuilt at about the same time, I'll go with similar styles for getting to the platforms at both.

800系 again ?  :tongue9:

one of the smallest Shinkansen fleet on duty and one of the biggest in N scale....
more models than real trains, after the couple of waku-waku (thanks to Nariichi!) I think I have enough...

maybe is better one 700系 Sayonara/last run like the previous series

Kyushu is the king of wrapping trains.

The CAT 800系 will be the 11th livery the 800系 had according to Wikipedia, not counting the base livery variations. But only the Waku Waku ones have been modeled. I don't think it's likely the CAT will be modeled, since it doesn't have a wide fanbase appeal. Will probably appear as decals though like most liveries.

Variants of the 800 Shinkansen so far (with youtube links):

Edited by Yavianice
added youtube links
  • Like 1

It seems to have slipped past this thread, but apparently Tomix will be releasing 205 series models based on the Tomytec versions (see e.g. https://railf.jp/news/2020/01/09/180500.html). It will be interesting to see what they come up with, as the options for a 205 series with modern tooling at reasonable prices are limited. Would be nice if they do one in Chuo-Sobu line colours, the Kato ones go for silly prices.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, railsquid said:

It seems to have slipped past this thread, but apparently Tomix will be releasing 205 series models [...]

YES! YES! YES! 

Edited by Socimi
On 2/29/2020 at 10:22 AM, railsquid said:

It seems to have slipped past this thread, but apparently Tomix will be releasing 205 series models based on the Tomytec versions (see e.g. https://railf.jp/news/2020/01/09/180500.html). It will be interesting to see what they come up with, as the options for a 205 series with modern tooling at reasonable prices are limited. Would be nice if they do one in Chuo-Sobu line colours, the Kato ones go for silly prices.

Initially a Yamanote Line later version.

Basic set (6 cars): https://www.tomytec.co.jp/tomix/products/img/20200312-1.pdf

Add-on set (5 cars): https://www.tomytec.co.jp/tomix/products/img/20200312-1.pdf

Model images in the PDFs are computer-generated.

Also: 2020 August ~ October release poster: https://www.tomytec.co.jp/tomix/information/img/pdf/poster20312.pdf

Edited by railsquid
10 hours ago, bill937ca said:

Wow! That’s beautiful. I have to preorder this!!!

Edit: Does it say on the poster when this will be available. I don't see it anywhere for pre order. 

Edited by gavino200
  • Like 1
23 hours ago, gavino200 said:

Wow! That’s beautiful. I have to preorder this!!!

Edit: Does it say on the poster when this will be available. I don't see it anywhere for pre order. 

Yap I totally agree! I am so getting this too! Looking at it, it sorts of reminds me so much of the GSE... 

I think the release date isn't out yet... I assume it should be somewhere in October or so? 

Glory to the Arigato 700 set and yes it will be my first Arigato set (after missing so many others) and my first full 16-car consist simply because I don't have a 700series and what better to get one that is a special run!  🙂

• Thanks 1