Tomix - New Releases

1 hour ago, Kiha66 said:

I'm tempted by the Oha 50 series coaches, they look quite nice.

They are nice. I have a dozen of them, 50 and 51 series, and I'm very happy with them. But I could always use a few more in No.15 Blue. 😊

spacer.png

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
5 hours ago, marknewton said:

They are nice. I have a dozen of them, 50 and 51 series, and I'm very happy with them. But I could always use a few more in No.15 Blue.

Looks amazing!  Are the tomix HO couplers compatible with the kato knuckle ones?  The only HO locomotive I have is a kato DD51 (I'm hoping to find a kato D51 someday!) and I don't want to have to get a tomix loco just to run them.

Edited by Kiha66

Glad these are being reissued. Possibly in relation to the ED78 release. They are lovely models. Although I’m not a huge fan of the very basic interior molds and the large contact strips for the Tomix lighting. I’m sure they could have made this a little neater. Anyway I have the 51s due to a very attractive 2nd hand price. I will need to pick up some 50s too.

1 minute ago, Kiha66 said:

Looks amazing!  Are the tomix HO couplers compatible with the kato knuckle ones?  The only HO locomotive I have is a kato DD51 (I'm hoping to find a kato D51 someday!) and I don't want to have to get a tomix loco just to run them.

My coaches came with #5 Kadees which seem to be standard on Tomix HO coaches.(Kokis and Takis come with plastic couplers) Alternatively you could add these but all my Kato and Tomix plastic HO couplers couple without issue.

• Thanks 1
Das Steinkopf
16 hours ago, nah00 said:

Older Yamato Transport containers! A late Christmas present! Just wish they came with transfers for the KoKi and containers so getting multiples didn't get you the same numbers. 

It would be nice if they provided alternate numbers but I can't complain too much as they could have used a KoKi 107 or KoKi 106 for this set, I'm just glad that I will get to add another KoKi 104 to my fleet which has ample numbers of all of the other KoKi 100 Series variants but only two of the KoKi 104's at the moment, the only thing I am lacking is a two car consist of KoKi 105's other than that I have everything else.

2 minutes ago, katoftw said:

Is that the original skyliner? Cream colour?

Sorry that I wasn't clear enough. It's the current AE Keisei Skyliner. Blue/White color from 2009.

On 1/10/2020 at 5:49 PM, Kiha66 said:

Sorry to reply so late, I missed seeing this. All of my Tomix pass cars came fitted with Kadees, even the 50 series cars I got many years ago when I first started my Japanese obsession. They will happily couple with Kato plastic knuckles.

All the best,

Mark.

• Thanks 1

"Sorry to reply so late, I missed seeing this. All of my Tomix pass cars came fitted with Kadees, even the 50 series cars I got many years ago when I first started my Japanese obsession. They will happily couple with Kato plastic knuckles."

I was about to ask the same thing. Thanks!

• Like 1
On 2/1/2020 at 11:11 PM, Yavianice said:

Tomix will produce the AE Keisei Skyliner, to be released in July.

MA just announced a rerelease of the AE Keisei Skyliner.

22 hours ago, disturbman said:

MA just announced a rerelease of the AE Keisei Skyliner.

lmao guess they got scared after Tomix's announcement and now want to cash in as much as possible before they can't sell it at all anymore.

I don't even have to guess which release will be the more expensive one though. :^)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
5 hours ago, Suica said:

lmao guess they got scared after Tomix's announcement and now want to cash in as much as possible before they can't sell it at all anymore.

Tongue in check comment?

I don’t think MA are that reactive. They probably have been planning this for a while, and Tomix only announced this a few days ago. This July will be the 10 years anniversary of the start of service of the Narita Sky Access Line and the Skyline.

From what I have seen, Tomix was planning a July release and MA for a June release.

Edited by disturbman
20 hours ago, disturbman said:

I don’t think MA are that reactive. They probably have been planning this for a while, and Tomix only announced this a few days ago.

I really wouldn't be so sure about that. Maybe the Japanese part of MicroAce actually is efficient in what they do. There really is nothing new about this release except for the car numbers. Other than that it's just a combination of the first and second Skyliner they released. Send your production plan to your Chinese factory and that's it. 

8 hours ago, Suica said:

I really wouldn't be so sure about that. Maybe the Japanese part of MicroAce actually is efficient in what they do. There really is nothing new about this release except for the car numbers. Other than that it's just a combination of the first and second Skyliner they released. Send your production plan to your Chinese factory and that's it. 

Fine if they actually own their own factory (there was a rumour a while back that they were trying to set one up, but I don't know what the status is), otherwise, going from what I hear about other manufacturers outsourcing to China, they'll probably have had to carefully plan in advance for available production slots.

But without confirmed information we can only speculate.

yes unless you own your own factory its a real crap shoot even with factories you have used a lot. My design partner use to have this issue with products made for clients, factory would just go poof or get some other contract and no longer return calls (or plans, dies, etc at times as well). Even with big name clients that did a lot of overall business with many factories, they would still go poof. Requires having an in country agent to keep on top of things and even then one time they went for a random check in at a factory and it was like a month after the last visit and the place was totally stripped empty. it was never clear exactly what happened but hold everything was not happy as the partially paid for run was no where to be found.

its a constant planning and monitoring game. now throw in covid19 and im sure it wont be a fun year to iron things out.

im sure of all the companies tomix would have the best leverage with tomy as parent company and a lot of production.

jeff

New releases officially announced. Quite a few interesting sets, I was surprised to see the 485 Series K60 unit.

Keisei Skyliner AE
https://www.tomytec.co.jp/tomix/products/img/20200213-1.pdf

200 Series Tohoku/Joetsu Shinkansen (F organization)
https://www.tomytec.co.jp/tomix/products/img/20200213-2.pdf

485 Series K60 unit (and a few EF81)
https://www.tomytec.co.jp/tomix/products/img/20200213-3.pdf

KiHa 40-1700 (Grace of Hokkaido)
https://www.tomytec.co.jp/tomix/products/img/20200213-4.pdf

E233-7000 (Saikyo Line, Kawagoe Line)
https://www.tomytec.co.jp/tomix/products/img/20200213-5.pdf

• Like 3

The AE skyliner was just too attractive to pass... and I was quite amazed at the price point... It looks reasonably priced for a full 8-car set at about 3000 yen for car... 

That 485 series K60 Dolphin is indeed a surprise! The Kiha-40 is pretty attractive too... Way too many nice trains yet too little money to buy them all...   😞   

Edited by JR 500系
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
9 minutes ago, Sheffie said:

From the image with the KiHa 40, there were also images of what look like TTrak boards. Can anyone translate that?

You can just look it up on the tomix website and run it through google translate.

Seems Tomix wants to make it more attractive for people to build their own TTrak (or similar) boards. Awesome! Though, not sure if you can import it, since it's wood and all. Not to mention heavy. Might be best to just make your own.

https://www.tomytec.co.jp/tomix/products/n/8024.html

Edited by Yavianice
1 hour ago, Yavianice said:

You can just look it up on the tomix website and run it through google translate.

Seems Tomix wants to make it more attractive for people to build their own TTrak (or similar) boards. Awesome! Though, not sure if you can import it, since it's wood and all. Not to mention heavy. Might be best to just make your own.

https://www.tomytec.co.jp/tomix/products/n/8024.html

These, or very similar items, have been part of the Tomix range for decades.

Yeah I’ve wondered exactly when the Tomix bases came out and if it predated Ttrak or was an early clone. They have been around at least 15 years or more. Tomix even did a little booklet on them. Where are the Richs with their full set of Tomix catalogs! ive seen a number of nice layouts done with them over the years.

jeff