Tomix - New Releases

[Commercialization Features]

- Body-handrail-truck new production

Deck side of the tail lights lighting ceremony

· 601 onward of hand brake 緊解 display device to reproduce the appearance that there is

- Body see-through representation

- Various containers sold separately can be installed

· JRF logo 突放 prohibition such as printed

- Handrail handle Installed

- Vehicle number (Koki 106-674) printed

- Car number can be changed transfer sheet included

HELLO!!!!!  Pay attention to the final line.  Wish Tomix would do that with all their Kokis.  Shame every other Koki 106 is out of stock currently.

Just announced via an unofficial channel (friend) and almost immediately confirmed by a more official channel (Tetsudō Hobby):

Railway Collection No.22

12115746_1700795140153693_58938221259965

Some very very interesting DMU in this one:

• JNR KiHaYuNi 15 (Normal windows) 国鉄キハユニ15(一段窓)
  • JNR KiHaYuNi 15 (Bus windows, metropolitan colour) 国鉄キハユニ15(バス窓・首都圏色)
  • JNR KiHaYuNi 16 国鉄キハユニ16
  • Kishū Railway KiHa 603 紀州鉄道キハ603
  • Yubari Railway KiHa 253 夕張鉄道キハ253
  • Okayama Harbour Railway KiHa 7002 岡山臨港鐵道キハ7002
  • Okayama Harbour Railway KiHa 5001 岡山臨港鐵道キハ5001
  • Kōjyaku Railway KiNi 12 江若鉄道キニ12
  • Shimabara Railway KiHa 2006 島原鉄道キハ2006
  • Kaya Railway KiHa 08 加悦鉄道キハ08

Quite unusual designs, with the Shimabara unit in fact a repainted JNR KiHa 20. The KaYa KiHa 08 is actually a rebuilt coach with cab ends and a motor.

From my collectors point of view, none of these are interesting, as none of them has ran on the Kantō Railway, which is surprising. Kantō used to collect almost all available DMU from any closing railway for its own use, but of these, none is present. Maybe the secret release will be one?

The Yubari Railway KiHa 253 and Okayama Harbour Railway KiHa 7002 appear to be single-cab units, but are in fact dual cab units:

oka_r_7002.jpg

So, if you need some extra DMU for your fun 1970s ~ 1980s branchline, here are some good candidates!

• Like 2
Das Steinkopf

[Commercialization Features][/size]- Body-handrail-truck new production[/size]Deck side of the tail lights lighting ceremony[/size]· 601 onward of hand brake 緊解 display device to reproduce the appearance that there is[/size]- Body see-through representation[/size]- Various containers sold separately can be installed[/size]· JRF logo 突放 prohibition such as printed[/size]- Handrail handle Installed[/size]- Vehicle number (Koki 106-674) printed[/size]- Car number can be changed transfer sheet included[/size]

HELLO!!!!!  Pay attention to the final line.  Wish Tomix would do that with all their Kokis.  Shame every other Koki 106 is out of stock currently.[/size]

So it looks like you will be breaking out of your cycle of purchasing Koki 50000's and Koki 107's, mind you I think you have probably got every car number that has been produced of those two types. I am quite happy that they have the decal sheet to give a variety of car numbers, I will definitely be purchasing two of them to add to my expanding fleet, plus there is hope in the future with Greenmax bringing out kits of the Koki 106's and Koki 104's. I also noticed that Tomix is re releasing 2778 Koki 104 (without container), I jumped the gun a few months back and bought one for a bit above the normal retail price as they were getting extremely hard to find, if only I had waited to pick one up for the discounted price.

50000s with gray bogies is being re-released also.  most of the kokis have a 2 year cycle.  but hard to wait sometimes when you really want something.

Edited by katoftw
Das Steinkopf

50000s with gray bogies is being re-released also.  most of the kokis have a 2 year cycle.  but hard to wait sometimes when you really want something.

Yeah I couldn't help myself and placed a pre order with AmiAmi for two of the Koki 106's, I also bowed to temptation and placed a pre order on a Koki 50000 as well, afterall I have to have some company for the Wamu 380000 as she sits abandoned in rotten road.

In case anyone's interested my wife picked this up the other day:

tomytec autumn 2015 1

tomytec autumn 2015 2

tomytec autumn 2015 3

Hmm, to see full sized version go to the gallery, click on each picture, click again so it pops up, then use the browser's "view image" option...
Edited by railsquid

I just paid my AmiAmi invoice for the Railstar.  It was on pre-order for an incredible (incredible to me, anyway) 15 months.  It will be worth the wait, though. 

• Like 1

Was originally slated for December 2014 for re-release.  But if got put back a few times.  Mine in on its way also.  Only MicroAce has longer wait times for pre-orders. haha

• Like 1

A little heads-up for a little surprising release (at least for me personally) for December. As a part of a three-part DMU set, Tomix releases a two-car Fujikyū KiHa 58 set with a quite rare car included. This is Fujikyū KiHa 58003: http://www.tomytec.co.jp/tomix/products/n/92172.htm, which is a bog standard KiHa 58, but modified to have two driving cabs. This unit ended its career at the Arita Railway from 1976 until 2002.

A double cab KiHa 58 however wasn't very rare, as there were sub-series derived from the KiHa 58 types, like the KiHa 53-200 and KiHa53-1000. A cold weather version (Hokkaidō) was the KiHa 53-500, which was a sub-series from the KiHa 56 types.

I've always been interested in the KiHa 58 types a bit, with the double cab-versions in particular. Just because it's odd to see express dedicated rolling stock as single car units, especially coming from the JNR era.

With the other double-cab types in mind, as well as the Arita Railway version, I'm kind of hoping for a single-car release, as well as KiHa 53 variations. :)

P.s. it seems it's a re-release from 2012, but very interesting nonetheless!

Edited by Toni Babelony

Interesting that it's a unique car and it looks popular enough to warrant a re release. Btw. the double cab express unit makes sense if it's meant to be used in a 2+1 car formation, as it allows the extra car to be added to either end of the double car set without using a turntable. Imho many of the kiha40 variants were also used in solo + pair sets with only the pair running during less crowded periods and the solo in times with very light passenger loads (this was possible even during the same daily timetable). For fixed 3 car or larger sets, cabless middle cars make more sense and they were also in use.

Btw. the double cab express unit makes sense if it's meant to be used in a 2+1 car formation, as it allows the extra car to be added to either end of the double car set without using a turntable.

Actually not the correct reasoning. Fujikyū decided to have a double-cab version, as they owned only three KiHa 58. Two single-cab (KiHa 58001 + KiHa 58002) and one spare that got rebuilt to a double cab (KiHa 58003). This because Fujikyū ran these actually in 1+1 formation. The double cab was made because it could be used whenever one of the single cab units was out of service.

I think I have to offically switch to Tomix tracks due to wanting more modern layout with concrete ties..  Now the have 4 different radi in curves for mainlines, plus a fifth C541 for branches.  And straights in 70, 99, 140, 158.5 and 280.  Only missing 18.5mm, 33mm and 72.5mm.  Which will probably follow, but can just get wide track versions and cut down.

10356053k.jpg

Edited by katoftw

Yap.. I switched all my tracks to Tomix too (but to the WIDE ones) because of the ability to attach rails to the WIDE tracks which makes it an added realism...

Also, Tomix controllers are more friendly to our Sillypore voltage of 220-230v, rather than the need to step down to Kato's 110v...

For me controllers aren't the issue.  Simple plug convertors solve most issues.  And aftermarket transformers are plentiful.

For me, it is the variety of track pieces that makes me wanna do the switch.  Both do an excellent array of wooden tie track pieces.  And if you wanna model something pre 1990s, easy done.

But in the past, concrete ties have been hit and miss from both manufacturers.  With Tomix's lastest releases, they have removed most of the hit and miss.  Kato is lagging very far behind.

Edited by katoftw

Tomix just unveiled their new releases for March/April 2016, as well as a few models they plan to produce next year:

http://www.jp-ngauge.info/ngi/2015/11/tomix2015112016-931b.html

http://www.tomytec.co.jp/tomix/index.htm

Some of them are already open for reservation at Hobby Search.

Among the new releases, for me the 103系 variations (Yamanote and Saikyō-sen 10 car formations, and the Kansai area 6 car formation) are the most interesting (immediately pre-ordered both a 10 car Saikyō-sen formation and a 6 car Kansai area formation... one can never have too many 103系 formations).

But what really grabbed my attention was the announcement that Tomix is in the process of developing a new model of the 200系 H formations, finally!

For those who are unfamiliar with the H formations, allow me a 

The 200系 H formations where a result of the continued increase in passenger traffic on JR East's shinkansen network (back then limited to the Tōhoku and Jōetsu Shinkansen) after the J.N.R. split in 1987, as well as JR East's ongoing re-organizing of their legacy 200系 fleet (which only consisted of E formations (E1~E29) F formations (F1~F21 and F51~F58 (consisting of former E formations E30~E36 (F51 and F53~F57 had the original 'round nose' style as used by the 2000番台~1500番台 end cars, while F52 and F58 had 200系2000番台 end cars (two 221形/222形 pairs delivered in 1986 and 1987 respectively), with the 100系 based 'shark nose')). As the remaining E formations still consisted of un-modified 0番台 cars limited to a service speed of 210km/h (as opposed to the 240km/h service speed of the 1000番台 and later, as well as the modified 0番台 cars of the F51~F58 group), they where the first group of formations to be re-shuffled.

Though passenger numbers where increasing, especially after the Tōhoku shinkansen extension from Ōmiya to Ueno was opened in 1985, the different usage of both the Tōhoku and Jōetsu Shinkansen in comparison to the Tōkaidō/Sanyō shinkansen (the Tōhoku/Jōetsu shinkansen gave people living in cities close to Tōkyō, like Utsonomiya and Nasu-Shiobara, but too far away for a normal commute, the possibility to commute to Tōkyō within a reasonable time frame. JR East's shinkansen network, has therefore always served as much as a high-speed commuter network as it did a long distance network, which is why it has a true rush-hour at peak moments both in the morning and evening. The Tōkaidō/Sanyō shinkansen by comparison has always had a larger spread of passengers during the day (it too had it's own rush-hour, but much less extreme then the Northern shinkansen had, especially during the 90's early 2000's)), led to a need for shorter formations than the then standard of 12 cars (Both E and F formations consisted of 12 cars in an identical composition, the only difference was the 240km/h capability of the F formations versus 210km/h for the E formations). As such JR East started with the formation of the shorter, 10 car G formations (originally seven 10 car formations and a single 8 car formation) in 1987. In 1988 the 10 car formations where shortened again to 8 car formations, with a further 10 G formations formed between 1988 and 1991. The eighteen G formations could eventually be divided into three sub-groups: G20~G28 where eight car formations containing a 215形 green car, G40~G48 (minus formation G45) contained both a 215形 green car and a 237形 buffet car, while formation G45 contained only ordinary cars (221形/226形(x3)/225形(x3)/222形). The G formation cars where never modified for a 240km/h top speed and would remain the only 200系 cars with this limitation left after 1992/1993, the G formations where all retired between 1997 and 1999.

While the G formations, and in lesser extend the K formations (K21~K31 (originally 8 car formations K1~K11 formed in 1992, became K21~K31 after extension to 10 cars in 1997) and K41~K51 (formed in 1997)), where formed in part to provide the right capacity outside of peak hours, and for services with lower passenger demands, the H formations where meant to capitalize on increased passenger numbers, as well as providing the Tōhoku shinkansen with a flagship vehicle, an equivalent to the 100系 which had just started to appear in larger numbers on the Tōkaidō and Sanyō shinkansen (X formations (X2~X7 + prototype X1, built between 1985~1987, JR Tōkai), G formations G1~G50 built between 1988 and 1992, JR Tōkai) and V formations (V1~V9 built between 1989 and 1991, JR West)), the result where the H formations.

​Though one of the the most visible differentiatiors of the H formations versus the E/F/G/K formations where the 'shark nose' 221形/222 end cars of either 200番台 (H1/H2/H5/H6) or 2000番台 (H3/H4), the history of the 'shark nose' on the 200系 goes a little further back. With the introduction of the first prototype of the new 100系 in March of 1985, after 21 years of only the 0系 as the face of both shinkansen (though spread over three sub-types, the final 0系 car would only be delivered one year after the 100系 prototype formation X0 (later X1)the Tōkaidō and Sanyō shinkansen finally got a new and more modern flagship. Though the 200系 was not that much older then the 100系 (first pre-production prototype of the 962形 delivered in late 1978, first production formation (E1) delivered in October 1980, with the last formation (F21) delivered in April of 1985), there was a desire to apply the new 'shark nose' design of the 100系 on the Northern shinkansen as well. For this purpose J.N.R. ordered two sets of 221形/222形 end cars, Kawasaki Heavy Industries delivered both pairs (221/222-2001 and 221/222-2002) in March of 1987. Aside from the 'shark nose' they where identical to the 2001500番台 end cars (the 1500番台 only encompassed 221形 and 222形 end cars, adding one extra row of seats compared to the 0番台/1000番台, otherwise they where identical).   

Both sets where placed in one of the F51~F58 formations, 221/222-2001 where used to form formation F58 while 221/222-2002 where placed in formation F52, the replaced 221形/222形 cars of which (221/222-31) ended in 275km/h capable formation F91.

Though no new 2000番台 cars where produced after this, they weren't actually the final 'shark nose' cars for the 200系. With JR East taking over the Tōhoku and Jōetsu shinkansen in April 1987, and the ensuring reorganization of the available formations, it was inevitable that there would be leftover cars. A number of those cars (all 225形 and 226形) where rebuilt into 221形/222形200番台 end cars, using a new nose section, they where technically identical to the 2000番台 cars. the first 200番台 cars where rebuilt in 1988 (221/222-201) and where placed in newly formed formation F42, in the end 7 pairs would be rebuilt (221/222-201~207).

Another factor that formed a catalyst in the creation of the H formations was the final extension of the Tōhoku shinkansen from Ueno to Tōkyō station, which was completed in 1991.

All six of the original 13 car H formations (H1~H6) where delivered between April and July of 1990. Composed of the same car types as the E and F formations the only difference was the inclusion of a double decks 249形 car (based on the 149形 of the 100系 all si where built by the Tōkyū Car Corporation) as car No.7. The 249形 cars where built from carbon based steel which was unlike the rest of the 200系 cars, which where built from an aluminium alloy (they where actually the first shinkansen series to be built using aluminium, done to minimize the extra weight all the snow proving measures added. the 100系 reverted back to ordinary steel), given that the 249形, and later the 248形, where designed after their 100系 counterparts was among the chief reasons for this change. Formations H1/H2 and H5 where using 200番台 end cars, while H3 and H4 used the two 2000番台 pairs (H3 got 221/222-2002 while H4 got 221/222-2001). As the final 200番台 cars hadn't been converted yet, H6 retained her old 'round nose' end cars (221/222-34) at the time of her introduction.

The 13 car formations where always meant to be a temporary solution, and with the delivery of the first 248形 double decks car (based on the 148形 this time, all six where built by Nippon Sharyō between December 1990 and March 1991) in December 1990 JR East started the formation of the intended H formations. With the 237形 buffet cars rebuilt into 225形200番台, and the inclusion of an extra 225形/226形 the final sixteen car H formations where born in July of 1991 (the only true sixteen car formations to be used by JR East). The 'round nose' end cars of formation H6 (221/222-34) where also replaced with newly converted 200番台 end cars 221/222-204 in early 1991, the surplus 'round nose' end cars where used for newly formed formation K30. As the H formations where intended to be used on a few faster 'Super Yamabiko' services JR East also increased the maximum service speed of the H formations to 245km/h

With the H formations in service JR East could finally start their new 'Super Yamabiko' services between Tōkyō and Morioka, in 1991.

The glory days for the six H formations where rather brief, as the first two E2系 prototypes where delivered in 1995, with production of the E2系 J formations starting in 1997

The H formations where slowly relegated to less important services on the Tōhoku shinkansen (as far as I know they where never used on the Jōetsu shinkansen), and with the eventual introduction of the E2系1000番台 J formations (formations J51~J75) starting in 2002 their fate was sealed. The six H formations where retired from regular service with the spring 2004 timetable revision alongside the last surviving un-renewal-ed 200系 cars of the F and K formations, a result of JR East's wish to introduce DS-ATC on their shinkansen network outfitting the ageing 200系 formations was deemed too costly (the eleven renewal-ed K formations (excl. K25 due to her derailment) did received DS_ATC equipment during this period), only F19 (test train for DS-ATC) and K31 (replacement for renewal-ed formation K25) where kept aside after this.

H1/H2 and H5/H6 where scrapped in 2004, while H3 and H4 lost their 248形/249形 double decks cars, their 215形 green car and one 226形 shortening them to 12 car formations, JR East retained both formations for special charter work (F19 was also retained for the same purpose). They where finally retired in May 2005, and scrapped in August of the same year. One double decks car was retained for preservation, 249-5, but she was eventually scrapped in 2010, alongside three other surviving 200系 cars from the first 200系 production formation, E1, later F30 (222-1, 226-1 and 215-1 where scrapped, fortunately 221-1 and 237-1 are preserved at the Shinkansen maintenance facility in Sendai).

In the end, only photographs and video footage remains of the H formations, and the other 'shark nose' 200系.

Anyway, that's another wall of text about the 200系 shinkansen (did I ever mention I love 200系? nah thought so). needles to say I'm exited to see Tomix releasing another 200系 model (can we get a G formation or un-renewal-ed K formation next, please?), and I'm glad to see there is finally a change for an accurate and up to date H formation model (the previous Tomix model was too inaccurate, one of the reasons I never tried to get my hands on one).

and for those interested, some footage:

This one contains a lot of F, K and G formation too... really miss this time period.

Shot in 1990, note the single 249形 and 13 car formation (first formation in the video)

• Like 9
Das Steinkopf

Hopefully they will add more variety to the 313 Series other than the 313-5000, I would like to get some of the 2 car formations such as 313-300 or 313-3000.

It would be nice if there was some more modern DMU's on the list as well such as a KiHa 25, given they have the same cab front of the 313 Series they already have part of the tooling done for it.

• Like 1

Hopefully they will add more variety to the 313 Series other than the 313-5000, I would like to get some of the 2 car formations such as 313-300 or 313-3000.

It would be nice if there was some more modern DMU's on the list as well such as a KiHa 25, given they have the same cab front of the 313 Series they already have part of the tooling done for it.

A JR Central man eh?