Inaka Layout

Concept Model Trains

Concept Model Trains

After completing three micro layouts for the Tomytec Toyama Portram at the end of last year http://www.jnsforum.com/index.php/topic,1772.msg16688.html#msg16688 I felt like a doing something a little more traditional.  Towards the end of 2009 I started assembling assets for my next layout. Most of the items were Tomytec (platforms, fences, buildings, figures and catenary).  During the year I had seen some interesting old style Japanese layout’s on YouTube and I wanted to build something along those lines.  

I already had a layout in mind that was going to be built with Unitrack. On the forum Jeff showed his track layout for a proposed Tomix folded figure-8.  I was inspired by his design (thanks Jeff!) and decided to use his idea as the basis for my layout.  A copy of the Tomix layout design is below with lines marked out for the road system.

The size of the layout is 60” x 30” and even though it is reasonably small, it looks quite large. I suppose it’s because of all the buildings. It uses a single line which suits my theme of the layout. I got most of my inspiration from lines like the Minomachi, Tagami and Ibi in the Gifu area. The name for the layout “Inaka” (rural small town) was taken from the sign on the Tomix station building.

I built the layout to give me a good view of the whole thing from one position.  Since I wasn’t planning to transport it and show at exhibitions, I really created something that would suit my needs.  It has numerous spots to take photos.  There are about 15 unique areas with different types of features.  I used a mixture of trains on the layout.  They are mostly the Gifu tramway lines and the Enoden line.

The layout took around 100 hours to build.  It’s a temporary layout and nothing is glued down.  Even the figures (over 100) are stuck down with blue tack.  The whole thing is re-usable. As usual I will start work on a new layout after using this one for 3-4 months.  The buildings and scenery will be packed away and used again for some other layout in the future.

I hope you enjoy looking at the photos and videos of the layout.  Let me know what you think as I would be interested in your views.

post-71-1356992448517_thumb.jpg

post-71-13569924485464_thumb.jpg

post-71-13569924485643_thumb.jpg

post-71-13569924486075_thumb.jpg

post-71-13569924486513_thumb.jpg

post-71-1356992448698_thumb.jpg

post-71-13569924487404_thumb.jpg

post-71-13569924487848_thumb.jpg

• Like 4
Concept Model Trains

Here are some videos of the layout. There are more videos of the "Inaka" layout on my channel at YouTube.

Claude_Dreyfus

This is a really interesting layout...plenty of colour and variety.

Must be a lot of fun to operate!  :grin

I remember those videos from when they first came out on You Tube.  That track plan really caught my attention as I was watching the cars go around and around.  I like the effect of all the traditional Japanese structures with the older rolling stock.  Its only a temporary layout!  I wondered how you could create so many layouts. I can understand the desire to start over again.  There are just so many things you can do with Japanese trains and so many products.

Concept Model Trains

Thanks for the positive comments Claude and Bill.  The track plan is quite novel and great for a smaller layout.  Temporary layouts are great for trying out different ideas.  I've got nothing against permanent layouts, it just doesn't suit the way I approach train modeling. The older style Tomytec buildings look much more realistic than the plastic Tomix modern structures. One of the responses to my "Metro" layout videos on YouTube was that the Tomix buildings looked too plastic.  I tend to agree with them.  Overall I find the "Inaka" layout has some character.  Maybe it's because it looks old and has that mystic that is missing from a Unitram layout.

This is one of those layouts that because there is so much planned out, you expect everything to move like the cars and people. You really a nice job capturing an active scene.  :thumbsup:

It looks really inspiring! Especially now that I have my batch of mini-curves in and concentrating on Enoden-style trains. Those Meitetsu ones don't look too bad either. TBH, I really prefer these kind of layouts over Unitrack layouts. You can add so much more creativity on Tomytec products, as they have so much more 'feeling' to it.