Location, location, location!

Enwhycentral

Enwhycentral

Being new to this forum, I'm probably repeating something that was done already but here goes.

I think it would be interesting and possibly helpful if we had a list arranged by location for each member.   I've been a loner in this hobby my whole life, but would love to visit and/or share with someone else so inclined as long as they were amenable and didn't live too far away.

For a start, your specific address wouldn't be necessary, only a general location.  In that way, if you find someone in your general vicinity, you might want to send them a personal message and see if they would like to get together to share our hobby in person.

I'll start by saying that I live in Northern Westchester County/Hudson Valley in New York State and I welcome anyone fairly close by to let me know where they live.

Link to Google Maps:  http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&msa=0&msid=100997545950408500469.0004834263313eee5e644

CaptOblivious

A nice idea, Enwhycentral. I'll bite:

St Louis MO, halfway to everywhere (and hence convenient to nowhere).

Martijn Meerts

Venlo, The Netherlands, where N-scalers is more of a rarity than living dinosaurs just about ;)

This is a first for the forum and a nice idea. I live in Locust Valley, Long Island. What I'm curious to find out is if we have any members who come from Japan.  

kevinrandell

I just taken up a posting in Tokyo, Japan.

Being a newbie a well. I am in the process of selling off my (extensive) HO British rail collection back in Australia to fund my crossover to n gauge Japanese rail.

Is there a club in Tokyo that people catch up at??

Cheers,

Kev

A map would be nice and cool to see where we all are from :)

Anyway, Bonn Germany. In half a year back in the Netherlands. Probably Den Haag (The Hague) or near that city.

Hi!

I'm the first (and the last) from Pordenone in Italy (Friuli Venezia Giulia region - northeast)

WHERE ???

near Venezia (Venice) 75Km far, 10Km from NATO/USAF Aviano Air Base, 15Km far from Valvasone base of Jacuzzi Europe (yes, the Hidromassage inventor was born in Friuli  :grin, headquarter of Zanussi (now part of Electrolux), a good place for eat, and for good music (past year in Udine 50Km far, with Madonna and Bruce Springsteen, this year with AC-DC and Iron Maiden) and 35Km far from Rivolto Air Base of "Frecce Tricolori" acrobatic patrol

(not bad for a so little place)

sorry, I speak like a tour operator  :grin

Martijn Meerts

I tried to add a pin, but as usual with Google, user friendlyness isn't top priority ;)

Accidentally added 2 points (not even pins), and I can't delete or edit anything =)

Darren Jeffries

Ive added mine, Marti, i notice your streetview picture, how did you get that up there?

CaptOblivious

I tried to add a pin, but as usual with Google, user friendlyness isn't top priority ;)

Accidentally added 2 points (not even pins), and I can't delete or edit anything =)

Fixed.

Darren Jeffries

Wow Don, who would have known, you live right in the middle of Busch Stadium.... Must be great for free games!!! :grin

Venlo, The Netherlands

Hey, I was within about 40 miles of your house! OK, granted, it was 18 years ago, but.... :-)

We were getting to the end of our Benelux railpasses by that point in the trip.

EDIT:

, where N-scalers is more of a rarity than living dinosaurs just about ;)

Maybe so, but you have a really nice 1:1 station nearby!

Martijn Meerts

Ive added mine, Marti, i notice your streetview picture, how did you get that up there?

It was already there, guess the Google camera car has visited us at some point in time... The black car you see in street view is actually my father's car =)

Venlo, The Netherlands

, where N-scalers is more of a rarity than living dinosaurs just about ;)

Maybe so, but you have a really nice 1:1 station nearby!

There's 2 of them nearby, Blerick and Venlo. I actually live in Blerick (old Roman settlement, used to be called Blariacum), but it's been part of Venlo for a long time. The train station in Blerick still has the old maintenance depot, but it hasn't been used for a LONG time, and is in a really sorry state. Close to the station is also a military base, which is no longer in use either, and will actually be partially destroyed to make room for other things.

A bit further down is the Venlo station, which is quite large considering the size of Venlo. Reason for that is that all rail freight to and from Germany used to go through Venlo, so there's quite a lot of passing tracks, storage tracks, maintenance facilities etc. etc.

Unfortunately, quite a while ago (I can't remember when even ;)) they decided to tear down the old station building and replace it with an ugly modern (at the time) "thing"...

Sorry about this but how do you go about adding a "pin" and saving your location? I was able to get to locate my house though.

Darren Jeffries

It was already there, guess the Google camera car has visited us at some point in time... The black car you see in street view is actually my father's car =)

Yes, it has our street too... but no piccie showing up... strange.

CaptOblivious

Wow Don, who would have known, you live right in the middle of Busch Stadium.... Must be great for free games!!! :grin

It's funny, I just zoomed out, and put the pin down about where it looked like the arch was, or at least the middle of downtown. Amazingly, it ended up right at first base (in the new stadium, not well represented in the map; the 3d view only shows the old stadium, which is slightly offset from the new one).

To post a pin, click the "edit" button, find your hometown, then click the button in the map that looks like the Google Maps pin icon. Then click in the map to place your pin. A speech-balloon-like-window will come up asking you for details. If you get it wrong, click on your pin, and choose "delete" in the lower left of the speech balloon thing that pops up.

I must be dumb, using the above link I can't find an edit button. I'll have another try this afternoon after our club meeting.

CaptOblivious

I must be dumb, using the above link I can't find an edit button. I'll have another try this afternoon after our club meeting.

You might have to have a Google account to do that. If not, I can always add you myself.

Bernard, I just added you to the map.

You might have to have a Google account to do that. If not, I can always add you myself.

Don - Thanks again. I don't know what I was doing wrong, after I did the edit icon and located myself on the map then I had problems... :confused3:

That was it, I created a Google account and I am on the map now.

I wonder if the link to the map could be put at the start of the thread so no one misses it if they quickly scroll through.

Im fresh to the forum by only a few days and this is my first post! I've added my location too. I just received in the mail today my first Kato set, N700 M1. The first of many pieces, I have big plans to come. :)