3x6 point-to-point experiment

scott

Yes, it's Episolde 12 of "The Modeller Who Couldn't Work On His Layout But Kept Designing More Layouts...."

This week:

Here's another attempt to design a layout using the leftover track I already have. This one's a little weird, but the only new items would be the two turnouts. There's also room for a passing track somewhere along the way in the future. So far I haven't put in any scenic ideas or tunnel locations, but that's next. Obviously the station to the right would require some custom-made platforms....

Pic 1: Trackplan view

Pic 2: RailModeller 3D output

post-151-13569924368392_thumb.png

post-151-13569924368718_thumb.png

• Like 1

That's an interesting plan but maybe, just maybe, you should start to play around with your track. See what you want and like. Anyway, I think this could look good in some sort of a very dramatic mountain landscape.

Yes, it's Episolde 12 of "The Modeller Who Couldn't Work On His Layout But Kept Designing More Layouts...."

There are worse things, I'm sure.  :grin

So, what do you see as the character of this layout? Rural? Village? Urban?  The trains? Freight? Interurban? DMU?

Are the two sets of tracks stations, or is one a yard or interchange with another line?

It's hard to really say anything about the track plan in a vacuum.  It could be anything at this point.  What do you want it to be?

The green makes me think "rice fields, a few trees, and a one or two-car electric rumbling through the scenery", but that's just free association triggered by the color and some of the videos I've seen recently.

Probably small-town/city outskirts on one end, end-of-the-line mountain village at the other. All passenger, as usual. :-)

The two ends are stations. For now, they're just terminals, but they could connect off to hidden yards or visible extensions.

You could try a scenic devider or something like that so you can simulate a trip from one area to another, rather then having passengers at one terminus seeing the train arrive at the other end.

I'm not so sure a scenic divider (in the sense of a large vertical wall) would be a good idea.  There's very little space between the front and rear tracks in most places, so there'd be little left over for the back/right-side scene.

I'd be more inclined to go with disturbman's suggestion of mountain landscape, and use a grade to separate the front-left from the front-right (perhaps with some buildings or trees at the front of the layout to serve as a partial viewblock as well. You have nearly 10 feet of run between the two back-right track segments, so you could easily get 2-3 inches of vertical separation.

And you could do more if you put the upper line in a tunnel where it was close to the rear line on the right-hand side.

Actually, you could just use a tunnel without a grade to do that.  I just dislike the "sheet of plywood" school of scenery.  :grin

Which is not to say I dislike flat layouts. Urban scenery in particular is often quite flat. And Japanese table-top layouts where the scenery is implied more than actual can look quite good. But if you're going to all the bother of doing real scenery, it's something of a cop-out to leave it flat as a board, unless you're modeling Iowa.

Scott,

fun idea. Enoshima has me thinking of something like this, maybe modular/sectional.

i agree with ken, some dramatic hill in the middle might be a better way to handle dividing the two sides. i find backdrops/skyboards dont look right up close, like on ttrak or even n trak. you need some depth to get the effect of a backdrop or it looks just like a wall with a picture on it.

cheers

jeff