I'm going to be in Singapore. Should I bring my n scale train funds?

kmcsjr

Hi.

I was in Singapore several times and haven't seen any N-Scale train. There is a Japanese department store at Bugis which has a lot of Tomytec plastic trains and Thomas and friends stuff.

you better check out the real trains in Singapore the MRT Network is very advanced the North East Line and Circle line as well as the LRT lines are fully automatic.

The Malaysian train is very outdated but gives you a nice retro feeling. If you have time i suggest to take the train to KL over a weekend.

And of course Singapore and Malaysia are famous for the different foods you can get. Eating out is very affordable and the choice is one of the biggest worldwide. Don't miss out eating the king of fruits  :grin

Singapore is a place to eat and shop for clothings not n scale.

In other words, if Singapore is a place to shop for n scales, then Hong Kong is a heaven with at least 5 well known hobby stores that sells them.

Hi.

I was in Singapore several times and haven't seen any N-Scale train. There is a Japanese department store at Bugis which has a lot of Tomytec plastic trains and Thomas and friends stuff.

you better check out the real trains in Singapore the MRT Network is very advanced the North East Line and Circle line as well as the LRT lines are fully automatic.

The Malaysian train is very outdated but gives you a nice retro feeling. If you have time i suggest to take the train to KL over a weekend.

And of course Singapore and Malaysia are famous for the different foods you can get. Eating out is very affordable and the choice is one of the biggest worldwide. Don't miss out eating the king of fruits  :grin

This is basically what I did on a stopover on the way back from chasing Chinese steam in 2007. I spent a few days riding all the MRT and in the middle of it all caught the day train up to KL, spent three days railfanning there, then caught the overnight sleeper train back to Singapore. KL has an interesting collection of mainline and transit systems.

I love KL transport...so many variety of transport.

Though I hope they are finally taking delivery of more Bombardier's Mark II trains soon!  Talk about overcrowding....

This is one of the trains I made sure I rode when I was there, built in Queensland, Australia.

I did see an N scale layout. There was a model railroad club in a room at the old KL station, there was no one there but I took a photo through the window.

post-218-13569924330184_thumb.jpg

post-218-13569924330591_thumb.jpg

post-218-1356992433114_thumb.jpg

CaptOblivious

Wow, that looks like my friend's layout from elementary school.

I don't know what those tank cars are, but everything else is Japanese, including the EF210 sitting in the street ;D

Wow, that looks like my friend's layout from elementary school.

I don't know what those tank cars are, but everything else is Japanese, including the EF210 sitting in the street ;D

The tank cars looked like Bachmann or Model Power. It looked like they were planning a HO layout in the next room, someone was scratchbuilding a nice looking model of KL station in styrene.

post-218-13569924357672_thumb.jpg

post-218-13569924358197_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Even if you don't get up to KL the Malaysian Railways (KTM) station in Singapore is worth a visit, it's like a little pocket of Singapore that's been caught in a time warp.

post-218-13569924358688_thumb.jpg

post-218-13569924359106_thumb.jpg

post-218-13569924359506_thumb.jpg

post-218-13569924359865_thumb.jpg

post-218-13569924360258_thumb.jpg

post-218-13569924360659_thumb.jpg

i dated a simng f0r 7 years so i can say in all the time i spent there i could not find trains for the life of me there. even mags were tough to come by. pla-rail was my best bet.

JR 500系

Hi!

I'm probably too late in replying this, but you need NOT bring any funds to Singapore for N gauge... It's almost dead here... We only have a hobby shop at Adelphi Shopping centre in the city selling HO scale trains, non-japanese... But i think it's not cheap so online is still a better choice...

Also to add, SG has, in my opionion, the MOST un-realiable subway system ever. Ever since becoming 'commercial' and 'private-owned' to a company which only us locals know the major share holder behind is truely the government, the subway has like broken down almost 3 times in a week, and at peak hours. Despite that, they continue to increase and increase fare prices, and report almost millions of PROFIT each year. Can you believe that? Never have i heard of a profitable PUBLIC transport... Also, to so-called end up the matter, they just fired the ex-CEO (who happens to be some retired army personal) and replaced with a new one, only to fire him again due to the breakdowns and the next one comes up to the chopping board to be blamed off more. The maintanence funds which were susposed to be used for maintaining the trains have been happily 'ABSORBED' into the ALREADY FILLED pockets of our ministers... Can you imagine our trains do not run on pantographs but actually extract voltage from the tracks below, and they can actually say that the overhead cable of the train burnt off hence resulting in breakdown due to power failure to the entire train system... How dumb is that, who were they trying to fool... Now they start pointing fingers at the previous government for buying inferior trains 20 years ago...

Now they are going to buy 800 new buses. In my mind, the next thing they're going to say is 'due to the increase in driver's minimum wages and fuel cost, we have to increase the fare by XXX' ....

Now that N500 hijacked the topic: didn't they close that railway connecting to Malaysia a while ago? I remember reading something on it...

JR 500系

Oooppsss ...

Yap. The railway initially belonged to Malaysia, but was recently entirely bought over by Singapore, in exchange for 3 golden plots of land inside Singapore. Malaysia then developed shopping properties in these 3 plots of land, while Singapore destroyed all the railway tracks (including a very vintage steel railway bridge!) but retained the original railway station (situated in Tanjong Pagar, another prime area) and intent to convert to a museum...

Remembered a MAD rush for train tickets for the FINAL journey from Singapore into Malaysia on rail... So now officially there are no more railways in Singapore, except for a lousy Metro line which we all HAVE to live with unfortunately...

• Like 1

I completely agree with JR500のぞみ and what he said about Singapore's transport system。I am a Singaporean and also have an interest in n scale J trains. There is not a single n scale train shop in Singapore. the only J trains they sell is Pla-Rail by takara tomy. So, I go to Japan and buy all my stuff and visit my grandparents.

Oh, JR500 のぞみ, the vintage steel bridge is around at bukit timah. I stay around there and walk past it often. Its now a popular photo taking spot.

E6系 they sell it at Isetan kids section, Takashimaya toys section, Toys' r us and some random toy shops in china square shopping mall

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I'm using Taobao international to purchase my metro models and tram. So far i got the Changchun light rail display and Shanghai metro line 2,3,6 and the latest line 16.