Kiha 40 original orange makes its return: JR Hokkaido

bikkuri bahn

bikkuri bahn

A Kiha 40 unit based in Kushiro, repainted in its original JNR orange colors, made its debut on Sunday. This color was phased out in favor of the current (boring, IMO) white and green stripe scheme by 1994.  It will operate on the Nemuro Main Line.  Two additional units will be repainted in the orange (nicknamed kaki iro or tarako iro- persimmon color or roe color, respectively), by the end of April, and may range as far as Takikawa, presumably diagrammed for the long distance Takikawa-Kushiro local service.

picture from newspaper website, at Kushiro Station:

http://www.hokkaido-np.co.jp/news/photonews/220723.html

Kiha 40 in 1986, at Shibecha Station, along with kiha 22 units.  This station on the Senmo Line was once an important junction with the now abandoned Shibetsu line.  The soft focus almost makes this seem like a 8mm film, but with sound.

And they began with the unit number 777.  :cheesy

Well, it seems there is more and more train being repainted to JNR era livery. I found too the white and green stripe scheme boring but I'm not sure the kaki iro is much better.

Aren't they just?

I really like the Kiha 40s, even more in their original paint.

Cheers,

Mark.

bikkuri bahn

Something to look forward to when I'm up there in August.

Should you have the time (and inclination), these repainted units have a good chance of turning up on train 2429D, the local between Takikawa and  Kushiro, which I believe has the longest route running time in Japan, at 7 hours and 45 minutes.  I once rode this train the whole length of its route more than ten years ago.  Last year I just rode it just between Takikawa and Obihiro, which includes the most scenic stretch through the Karikachi Pass.  Long distance locals are pretty rare nowadays, it makes for a nice experience, though it can get monotonous if you're not prepared.

*I think the stopping train with the longest route mileage is a local on the Sanyo Main Line in western Japan (Shimonoseki-Okayama??)

Something to look forward to when I'm up there in August.

Should you have the time (and inclination), these repainted units have a good chance of turning up on train 2429D, the local between Takikawa and  Kushiro, which I believe has the longest route running time in Japan, at 7 hours and 45 minutes.  I once rode this train the whole length of its route more than ten years ago.  Last year I just rode it just between Takikawa and Obihiro, which includes the most scenic stretch through the Karikachi Pass.  Long distance locals are pretty rare nowadays, it makes for a nice experience, though it can get monotonous if you're not prepared.

*I think the stopping train with the longest route mileage is a local on the Sanyo Main Line in western Japan (Shimonoseki-Okayama??)

I don't think I'll get the chance this trip but I have ridden it in the past for at least part of the way. I used it from Furano to Shintoku in February 2006 when I spent a week filling in the remaining lines on Hokkaido I hadn't ridden. The photo shows the train in question at a rather cold looking Ochiai on Feb 18, 2006. I love riding the locals when I have the time, you stop at each station instead of flashing through so fast you miss it if you blink.

post-218-13569924273025_thumb.jpg

• Like 1