Another old JNR era soldier retires

bikkuri bahn

bikkuri bahn

Somewhat overlooked in the brouhaha over the last runs of the night trains Noto and Hokuriku was the retirement of the kiha 52 diesel railcars on the non-electrified portion of the Oito Line in Nagano and Niigata Prefecture.  These will be replaced by JR West kiha 120 units or as I call them, "wafu pacers".  Sometimes newer isn't always better...

Anyway, I regret never having visited this line and riding these trains, but this line is located in a remote corner of JR West territory, basically on the back side of Honshu.  Here is a nice compilation of scenes of kiha 52 units working their final winter.  I especially like the scene at Nechi Station (starting at about 3:34) where you can hear the marvelous knocking sound of the DMH17 engines at idle (also apparent at 6:46):

• Like 2

Too bad. By the way, what is the train we can see the front at the end of the video? A 715?

Almost right, it's a 419. ;)

I had the opportunity to ride the line in 1998 I believe the line had just been reopened after being closed for some time due to flooding. The first video is what I took from the train, the second is a bit of activity in Itoigawa yard while we were waiting for our next train. I'm surprised to hear these old cars were still running 12 years after I saw them. In a way it's good to see JR West investing money in the furthest flung reaches of the system but it's still a shame to see them go. Nice to see that they seem to have been repainted into more traditional paint schemes before the end.

• Like 1