Stores in San francisco

grumbeast

Hi guys

I'm in San Francisco on business right now but was wondering if anyone knows of any hobby stores that might carryy any Japanese n scale that I should visit?

Thanks in advance for any advice

Graham

Mudkip Orange

No idea on model train stores, but you are officially lame if you don't at least take a couple hours out of your evening to go photo/video the yards at Balboa Park. Everything is there: Boeings, Bredas, PCCs, various European single-truck trams...

Mudkip Orange

Oh yeah, also: Japantown is in a completely different part of the city than Chinatown. No model train stores there, but if you want some fracking tempura Japantown is at the eastern end of the Geary Expressway. There's a couple mini-malls flanking the "peace plaza", and the rest of the independent businesses are mostly clustered around the north side of the mall/plaza block.

There are two stores listed in MR. I've never heard of anybody out that way carrying Japanese trains.  These guys don't even list Kato.

Francisan Hobbies  1920A Ocean Ave--that is out the other side of the Twin Peaks.

Chan's Trains and Kits--2450 Van Ness St near Union St.  I was in that store about 1990 and they kept the front door locked and you had to be buzzed in.

bikkuri bahn

I wasn't aware hobby shops in the U.S. even carried Japanese prototype models.  I'm originally from the Bay Area, if you're interested in model trains in general and browsing a big book selection covering US RR's, and can get down there, the Train Shop on 1829 Pruneridge Avenue in Santa Clara is recommended.

Thanks for the advice guys

I didn't get out much, but did manage to walk (in the rain!) from the moscone centre to Japantown... and it was worth it!

no trains sure, but some pressies for the wife and I managed to score issues 317 and 318 of Rail Magazine.  Ihave no idea what they're about but I have been getting the gyst of the articles from the pictures (including one especially fine historical article about series 481/489s, and another about a whole bunch of Blue Trains).  There were a few other magazines there, but my dollars were limited so I had to resist :(

I also took some pics of the skyscrapers for reference as we don't really have any in Halifax!

Graham

bikkuri bahn
...and I managed to score issues 317 and 318 of Rail Magazine.

Back in the 80's, when I lived in Los Angeles, none of the Japanese bookstores carried railway magazines on their shelves, but that was before interest in Japan expanded beyond samurais and bonsai trees.  The market then catered to the Japanese community living in America mostly- not a hotbed of railfan activity based on my experience.  I remember as a kid going to Kinokuniya looking for even a single issue of Tetsudo Fan, and always going home disappointed.

I know this is an old thread but all three shops mentioned in this thread are still open. The last time I went to Chan's Trains you still had to be buzzed in but they did have some old Kato 0 Bullet Trains.

I wasn't aware hobby shops in the U.S. even carried Japanese prototype models.  I'm originally from the Bay Area, if you're interested in model trains in general and browsing a big book selection covering US RR's, and can get down there, the Train Shop on 1829 Pruneridge Avenue in Santa Clara is recommended.

It was 35yrs ago and I vaguely could remember being brought by my dad into a small hobby shop in Embarcadero St.  I cant remember if it was directly under the foot of the Bay bridge or near it - but it is there and then that I got my first electric train set. A Tyco Amtrak beginner set.

Just a few days ago, I tried to find out any information thru the net - name of store or exact location, but sadly not much info.  

Hey there

Again, this is an old thread, but I thought I'd update.

Franciscan Hobbies is now gone the way of the dino. Shut down.

ACE HARDWARE in Berkeley is pretty well stocked and is my go to brick and mortar store these days.

A drive up highway 101 about 30 minutes can get you to DOLLHOUSES, TRAINS AND MORE in Novato. They have the best selection for Kato items in N scale I've seen in a brick and mortar store in the North Bay. South Bay is still THE TRAIN SHOP in Santa Clara. A massive drive for sure. DOLLHOUSES is far better for the trip.

Online shops are still my go-to for the hobby. HOBBY SEARCH (http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/rail/) and PLAZA JAPAN on eBay ( http://stores.ebay.com/plazajapan/ ) are still my faves.

Happy hobby time!

Ahhh the old Berkeley ace hardware basement! Kept me going in grad school to just go down and peruse models and trains! Lived a few blocks away. Good to hear its still going strong! Captoblivious now lives very close to there.

Cheers

Jeff