Model Railway Shops In Osaka-shi

Guest ___

Hello Mr Darklighter,

Please allow me to assist you with model railway stores in Osaka.  I am familiar with the stores in Den Den Town.  I recommend:

1. Popondetta http://www.popondetta.com/osaka/index.html

2. Volks, just 50m south from Popondetta on the opposite side of the Sakai-suji;

3. Hobbyland Pochi, just 15m south from Volks. http://hobbyland-pochi.net/

4. Kidsland Joshin is another 80m south of Hobbyland Pochi, on the same side as Popondetta.  The top floor is model railway.  Ground floor is children's toy so don't worry.

I visited all about 1 year ago.  I made purchase in Popondetta, which had extensive range of second-hand product, and Volks.

I planed to visit TamTam in Amagasaki but just found out that they closed. However, they opened a new store in Kobe. Is it a large store? Or should I take a Shinkansen and head back to Tokyo/Akihabara for shopping?

Shop at both.  Akihabara is perhpas the bigger overall market for hobby products.  I prefer DenDen town because they seem to have more HO scale stuff, Akihabara caters more to N scale.

Edited by bikkuri bahn

Thanks for the tips, I will visit Den Den Town tomorrow.

Visited TamTam in Kobe a few hours ago and bought a lot of stuff there. The shop is a bit far from the next JR station (approx. a 20-30 minute walk) but in comparison with their Akiba shop they are about equally stocked.

Hi guys

I'll be travelling to japan shortly and staying in Osaka, is there a Tamtam hobby shop located nearby? I had a read of this thread and understand the one in Amagasaki has closed. Unfortunately I can't read their Japanese website to find store locations.

I went to DenDen town last time and found Volks, Popondetta and one other that escapes me. They were good but I happened to stumble on TamTam in Chiba that was right under our hotel and having seen their range in Akihabara it would be good to know if there was one closer to Osaka.

Any ideas?

Regards

Scott

Hi Scott:

The list of Tam Tam stores are listed here: http://www.hs-tamtam.jp/modules/tinyd2/index.php?id=1

Yap the one at Amagasaki has closed. I think the nearest one to Osaka would be the one at Kobe:

庫県神戸市東灘区青木1-2-34 サンシャインワーフ神戸1F

Alternatively, can I suggest Hobbi Land Pochi instead? They have a wide range of train models and accessories, including sales of used models.

http://hobbyland-pochi.net/hpgen/HPB/entries/43.html

There's one in Umeda, right in Osaka.

Hoped that helped!

• Like 2

Hi Scott:

The list of Tam Tam stores are listed here: http://www.hs-tamtam.jp/modules/tinyd2/index.php?id=1

Yap the one at Amagasaki has closed. I think the nearest one to Osaka would be the one at Kobe:

庫県神戸市東灘区青木1-2-34 サンシャインワーフ神戸1F

Alternatively, can I suggest Hobbi Land Pochi instead? They have a wide range of train models and accessories, including sales of used models.

http://hobbyland-pochi.net/hpgen/HPB/entries/43.html

There's one in Umeda, right in Osaka.

Hoped that helped!

Thx for info JR500

I'll be visiting Osaka during New Year, so your info would be greaful since I've decide to stay in Umeda area.

Thanks very much JR500, I'll definitely have a look into that and add it to the list of places to go.

Umeda isn't too far away from where I'll be staying.

Regards

Just spent last week in Osaka, I checked out the hobbyland pochi in Umeda too. I'd recommend the main 3 around DenDen town, Namba. Volks had a good sale on and were the cheapest for new gear compared to Popondetta over the road and Hobbyland Pochi a bit further down.

If travelling via Nipponbashi on the subway lines, head out exit 10 and keep walking in the same direction down the road away from the stairway, you'll pass a pet shop and then need to keep walking about 500m down the road before you'll see the big volks blue building. Look across at the McDonald's and next door is the Popondetta. About 200m down the road on the volks side is hobbyland pochi

Volks has new equipment and a large range on the 6th floor

Popondetta had a large range of new and a modest second hand range

Hobbyland had the largest second hand range, mainly carriages and buses.

Volks and hobbyland pochi opened from 11-8

Popondetta opened from 12-8

• Like 1

To all,

I was wondering if someone could help me with a quick question on the shops in Den den town...

I could have sworn that there was a shop just off the main street, to the east, just north of where the 4 main stores are.

Somewhere near here: https://www.google.com.au/maps/place/Japan,+%E3%80%92556-0005+%C5%8Csaka-fu,+%C5%8Csaka-shi,+Naniwa-ku,+Nipponbashi,+4+Chome%E2%88%929%E2%88%929+%E6%B0%B4%E4%B8%8A%E3%83%93%E3%83%AB/@34.6601711,135.5064157,21z/data=!3m1!5s0x60008d3bb803a065:0xa230d50a1fcc2340!4m7!1m4!3m3!1s0x60008d3bb80fc4d1:0x640a9117cc8f087a!2zSmFwYW4sIOOAkjY1OC0wMDI3IEh5xY1nby1rZW4sIEvFjWJlLXNoaSwgSGlnYXNoaW5hZGEta3UsIMWMZ2ksIDEgQ2hvbWXiiJIy4oiSMzQg44K144Oz44K344Oj44Kk44Oz44Ov44O844OV56We5oi444Kk44O844K544OI44K-44O844Oz!3b1!3m1!1s0x6000e742a9b45321:0xb69027392e31ed9d

I've checked out street view and it seems that all signs have been removed?

Is there a chance Hobbyland Pochi used to be around this corner, but moved on to the main street?

Is there anyone with enough Japanese knowledge (I don't know how to search for "used to exist here" or "moved location") to tell me if there's evidence that the shop has moved or closed?

Thanks in advance.

The Hobbyland Pochi at Nipponbashi is called the No.1 store, so implies there was another store somewhere else in the area.  It was probably closed.  This area sees alot of store turnover, judging from the number of shuttered businesses last time I was there.  It's a slightly seedy area, with a greater concentration of adult DVD stores than hobby shops, and the occasional bum sleeping on the sidewalk, but perhaps (for me) the best place to buy HO scale stuff in Osaka, mainly thanks to the presence of Joshin Kids Land.

• Like 1

bikkuri bahn,

Thanks for the information, it does make sense that this could therefore be 1 of 2 of the shop. Interesting that all searching for Hobbyland seems to indicate its address as around the corner, rather than on the main street... but that could just be the building layout.

Meanwhile, I'm building a blog-post with a current list of model railway shops in the Osaka area here.

If anyone has been to any of them that I haven't reviewed, or has a better review on those I have, then please contribute! Also if you know of any others!

Edited by stevenh
  • Like 1