Kanjiyama - An N gauge Japanese Terminus Layout

Claude_Dreyfus

Claude_Dreyfus
Now for some visitors...there seems to be a limit to the number of photos I can link to a thread...

This DF200 was an early purchase and does not really fit with the area I am modelling. It is, however a lovely model. It is caught here waiting to leave the yard.

IMG_0707_zps2716f1b6.jpg

IMG_0705_zpsc9d8536e.jpg

This is a Kato C62...I need to fit those detailing parts!

IMG_0711_zps169bd9d0.jpg

Had a bit of play with some electric locos as well... All this lot are Kato, and from left to right they are a DD51 in blue livery, an EF16, and EF210 (I would argue this model has the best motor of any Kato product) and finally the DF200...

IMG_0712_zps693e7097.jpg

Finally, an overall view of the whole layout. The shed is actually less cluttered than this photo would suggest!

• Like 8
Claude_Dreyfus

Kanjiyama had its first outing of the year to a small local show. I am happy to report that the layout performed really well; especially bearing in mind it has not been used since last October. There are many pictures of the layout on this thread already, so below are a couple of slightly unusual views...

Arrival_zps29cf660d.jpg

A KiHa110 arrives at Kanjiyama with a service from Kofu.

Bus_zps725a04e8.jpg

Meanwhile a local Fujibus heads towards Kanjiyama and its connection at the station. Perhaps it would make better progress if the driver had not disappeared... 

Town_zps58a3a7a2.jpg

Yet, somehow it makes its connection to the station...

KiHathroughthewindow_zpsa55b948a.jpg

Finally loaded, the KiHa110 departs for Kofu.

• Like 3
Claude_Dreyfus

Ha ha, very good!

There aren't too many pictures of Kanjiyama in its entirety...so here it is. The posters on the front gives some basic details of the layout, as well as a rough guide to some of the stock operating (the right-hand poster).

Layout_zps9212c39d.jpg

Part of the 'What can you see running today?' poster is here...

Poster_zps53c507f3.jpg

• Like 2

Very good idea. I always wondering why the Hungarian model clubs do not use these information sheets, visitors on a model show rarely know what is happening and what type of trains do they see (if those are not the typical Hungarian trains). So I made a promise for myself: if I will be a train show with my layout, I will do the same, or almost the same that you did.

I do use them, also for japanese trains. But in the future, the text should be bigger and longer though. Still some people don't bother to read it (like parents) and when they see a blue electric boxcab with two pantographs, they say 'Look it's Thomas!'. :)

Claude_Dreyfus

Very good idea. I always wondering why the Hungarian model clubs do not use these information sheets, visitors on a model show rarely know what is happening and what type of trains do they see (if those are not the typical Hungarian trains). So I made a promise for myself: if I will be a train show with my layout, I will do the same, or almost the same that you did.

Feel free to use this format. I have them as word documents, so if you are interested sometime in the future let me know and I can send you a copy to play around with.  

Claude,

I just looked at your Kanjiyama site. Very nice presentation both of the railway and the website. I hope you have a successful show season.

Dave

• Like 1
Claude_Dreyfus
As the weather was nice today, I did a few of those little tasks I have been putting off for ages. These included reworking the fence along the front of the layout - it was really crooked before, and was driving me nuts! Also I touched up some of those little gaps in the rock faces that only become apparent when photographing! Finally, I get rid of the dreadful brush marks on the concrete.

As well as doing these little jobs, I took one or two photographs as well...

Station1_zps839bc031.jpg

Departure1_zps978765c5.jpg

Departure_zpsf1a2876e.jpg

KiHaE131_zps89dece9c.jpg

KiHa40Station_zps0c562bc8.jpg

KiHa40_zps045864ff.jpg

OverallYard_zps12b56d50.jpg

Shops_zps88500fdb.jpg

Houses_zps6a937c5a.jpg

• Like 4

Yes, this looks really good! Can i ask for a trackplan and/or an operational plan? I just can't really imagine how you operate the layout during shows.

Claude_Dreyfus

I have a track plan below...

post-109-0-19758200-1395011212_thumb.jpg

It is a simple design, but still gives plenty of operational scope...

Edited by Claude_Dreyfus

Thanks! Now i see that there is a fiddle yard. It's so well hidden, that i didn't even think it was there. And this means you are running as a point to point shelf layout with one fiddle yard dedicated to the local line while the other can be shared between the local and jr east trains. Turning a loco hauled train is still possible but looks like a good switching job. Nice!

Very nice Claude! There's a certain very serene, peaceful and rural feeling to it, and I like it! The mountain back-drop scenery also adds to the feeling. Nice! 

It may sound a bit whiny, but it's actually JR West and not Western. ;)

And, when you whine, it is nice to do it properly. It is written JR Eastern. So your sentence should appropriately be: It may sound a bit whiny, but it's actually JR East and not Eastern. ;)

:p

Claude, it is really a nice track plan. I had something in my head along those lines for quite a while now.

• Like 1
Claude_Dreyfus

Thanks all...

Don't worry about the whinging; I just seem to have it in my mind JR Eastern, not JR East!

The fiddle yard is situated underneath the hillside behind the yard. It is small, but fortunately there is not too much traffic on Kanjiyama!

Claude, your British, so jr eastern sounds more proper!

Besides maybe that's their mythical rail line!

Jeff

Claude_Dreyfus

Kanjiyama went out to play today at a local show; it is out and about again next week as well. 

This time it was pretty much faultless, with only a couple of minor tinkerings with a truculent point to deal with. A few pictures below...

IMG_2974_zps2dc03f26.jpg

The DE10 pulls into Kanjiyama with a rake of sand hoppers. These are the latest addition to the Dreyfus stud - arriving from Japan yesterday (Friday). They are still squeaky clean, so will need some attention sooner rather than later to tone the brightness down. 

IMG_2975_zpse2400615.jpg

Overall view of the sand train, which will now be the standard freight train on Kanjiyama. That baseboard join really bothers me...I'm going to have to do something about that.

IMG_2980_zpsc644dd32.jpg

The former Tarumi railcar departs from Kanjiyama. Note the perspex screen at the front has gone. It was annoying me and getting in the way, so was removed. The more exposed road vehicles at the front have been glued down to prevent them from going walkies!

• Like 6

The layout looks awesome and has this great local atmosphere hanging around it.

A few suggestions on improving the looks a little is to weather the platform a little with cracks and plants growing out of it a bit more at the ends. This really reflects the contemporary local station, once used by long passenger trains and now served by short DMU only.

Also, have you thought about having a small steam train service? Just a little C11 or C12 with two or three coaches to attract tourists.

Claude_Dreyfus

Thanks for the suggestions...I will certainly investigate modifying the lesser used parts of the platforms - I'll take a look at some pictures.

For specials, I have recently acquired a Kato C56, which can be put to use. It had a little run at the show yesterday, mainly to check the cylinders fitted in the platform; I do have a Kato C11 as well.

I also have a set of Suro 81 carriages in blue livery...would these coaches be okay for steam specials?

Thanks for the suggestions...I will certainly investigate modifying the lesser used parts of the platforms - I'll take a look at some pictures.

For specials, I have recently acquired a Kato C56, which can be put to use. It had a little run at the show yesterday, mainly to check the cylinders fitted in the platform; I do have a Kato C11 as well.

I also have a set of Suro 81 carriages in blue livery...would these coaches be okay for steam specials?

No problemo!

I think for steam specials you can use whatever you want. The Mooka railway at my parents in law runs C11 and C12s with 50 series coaches in brown with a white stripe, which is non prototypical, but still looks good.

The train is pulled in Shimodate (start station on the JR Mito line) from the depot in Mooka by a DE15 with the SL on the other end, which then leaves the DE15 behind. At the other end of the line in Motegi, the SL is turned on a turntable and ran around the coaches. Returing in Shimodate, the DE15 pulls out of the siding and transports the SL back to the depot in Mooka. No run-around scheme is used in Shimodate, since there are no facilities for that.

The track plan of the Mooka Railway might help out a little with visualising:

070421_01.gif

• Like 1

A few suggestions on improving the looks a little is to weather the platform a little with cracks and plants growing out of it a bit more at the ends. This really reflects the contemporary local station, once used by long passenger trains and now served by short DMU only.

This layout has done that in quite a nice way:

http://kscafe.main.jp/sougoumokei/reiautosyoukai/reiautohonnmatieki.html

http://kscafe.main.jp/sougoumokei/fotogyara/fotogyarari.html