Kanjiyama - An N gauge Japanese Terminus Layout

Claude_Dreyfus

Japanese layouts are rare in Europe so I'm sure it'll be popular as it will be something most people will have never seen before... 

Will you add a board with some text to explain it's Japan.. :icon_scratch:

Claude_Dreyfus
Japanese layouts are rare in Europe so I'm sure it'll be popular as it will be something most people will have never seen before...

Will you add a board with some text to explain it's Japan.. :icon_scratch:

Yes indeed. The layout will have explanatory notes with it, just to provide more background information. Japanese layouts are unusual in Britain, but there are about 8 on the circuit. Edited by Claude_Dreyfus
Claude_Dreyfus

Is that yellow and blue a real DE10 livery?

Yes it is... It is the livery of one of the Tarumi line locos...hence (I assume) the classification TDE10. It is part of a twin set from Tomix. Freight operations have since ceased on the Tarumi line, so the Kanjiyama line has benefitted!

Edited by Claude_Dreyfus
  • Like 1

Nice looking exhibition table layout there! Very nice! I love that refuelling point! Very realistic!

Yes it would be great to see some lights on the layout ~ Definately eye-catching!

Claude_Dreyfus

So, Kanjiyama has completed it's first exhibition, and I'm glad to say it performed pretty much faultlessly. Still sorting through photos, but here are a couple...with some aliens creeping in at the end!

Station_zps5013c050.jpg

OverallTown1_zps516c29d5.jpg

Railtour_zpsb7883c0e.jpg

Yard3_zps24ab5762.jpg

CEP_zpse5c54532.jpg

• Like 5

Very Nice! Especially loving the roads and the overal rural feeling of Kanjiyama! I like the yellow front DMU and the Kiha-47! Thanks for sharing! Great job!

• Like 1
Claude_Dreyfus

Thanks for the comments!

You are nearly right with the EMU...it is actually a class 411 4-CEP. Very similar to the 4-CIG, but mainly used on the south eastern division, they had the same basic carriage design. As a daily commutor from Sussex, I really do miss the 421s...they are my favourite electric units.

The layout looks great.  The planter (flower garden?) on the platform is a nice touch. The way the ballast around the platforms isn't a uniform color is a subtle touch that adds to the realism.

• Like 2
Claude_Dreyfus
A bit late, but what stuff are you actually using for your trees? They look great!

Lots of positive comments! It is appreciated as the layout theme is not to everyone's taste in the UK; foreign, modern and mainly operated with units...which in itself is fairly unusual for a layout.

The trees are from a number of sources. Woodland Scenics provide the dense coverage, with many of the indivdual trees from a company called 4D Workshop. Convenient for me as they are about a 10 minute walk from my work.

http://www.modelshop.co.uk/category/Landscaping,l.html?sortBy=FeaturedDesc

Claude_Dreyfus

Well, as it is currently set up in the shed, it is amazing what puts in an appearence.

I come from third-rail territory, so although not quite my area, when Farish announced a CEP I had to get one! Also just about visible in the second to last photo is a modern nod to my region...a Southern liveried 2-car DMU. They operate on the only two routes in my region not electrified. Indeed from where I am sitting as I type this (one of our sub offices) I can hear them passing by.

Claude_Dreyfus

I have got my pen out again, this time for the N gauge society. Their latest journal has a 6 page article on Kanjiyama...with more articles being promised. Time to spread the word again!

Claude_Dreyfus
Took the opportunity the other day to go out to the shed and have a play!

A few snaps of the Kanjiyama line's DF50 - complete with headboards(!) - as it makes its way from the yard to the platform to collect its short rake of hoppers.

IMG_0735_zpsc3cd0c8d.jpg

IMG_0729_zpsdaea0d1a.jpg

Once collected, we head out of the station towards our final destination. The wagons are some of the premium Kawai products. They were initially quite the divas - especially over the points - but some minor tinkering around has made them run beautifully.

IMG_0738_zps9d347baf.jpg

The signals are Greenmax kits, whilst the funny little orange things are trimmed down, modified and repainted platform cameras; intended to replicate the warning lights for passengers using the foot crossing.

This is a view from the yard access siding, as the DF50 heads up the Kanjiyama line.

IMG_0747_zpsde3982c0.jpg

The afternoon suns streams in on a KiHa40 resting at the fuelling point, which as mentioned previously, has had to be hand made from the various bits and pieces I have, as nothing suitable was available commercially. The road tanker was a lucky find - managed to get it from an ebay shop in the UK - as this colour scheme is now long out of production. Only minor weathering was needed for this Tomytec model

You see? Even us Japanese modellers have to make our own stuff sometimes!   ;)

The DD51 in the foreground is resting in the loco spur having brought the hoppers from elsewhere on the JR network.

IMG_0748_zpsd80ed2c6.jpg

Another view of the station, with a Micro Ace KiHaE131 on the JR Eastern lines, whilst a fellow MA model - a KiHa53 - rests in the Kanjiyama line platform. That fence is still rather uneven...need to do something about that...

IMG_0761_zps2c090baf.jpg

Departing from Kanjiyama are a pair of Tomix KiHa120 railcars. These are fairly recent acquisitions - bought in time for the first exhibition the layout's completed state. It consists of one powered and one trailer car, and runs beautifully...

IMG_0763_zps1db29284.jpg

• Like 5