Kanjiyama - An N gauge Japanese Terminus Layout

Claude_Dreyfus

Sad to see this layout go, but so is life. Feels a bit like how I rode the Sanko Line just months ago and that it is already closed now...

• Like 1

Ahh sad to see, but it had a good run and will have a new German life! We are doing our club's layout 2.0 sayonara run in a few weeks, but it will live on as a home layout for one of the members. It's nice to be starting on a new layout. Each time around we learn something and do things better and make our show life easier!

Thanks for the great presentation you have given the forum on the whole cycle of kanjiyama! It's been great to watch and lots of ideas and inspirations from it!

Kudos!

Jeff

• Like 1
Claude_Dreyfus

Certainly will. Currently working out what size the new layout will be...whatever it will be needs to fit into the car and portable enough for me to move single-handedly from the shed.

It will be an exhibition layout.

• Like 1

So sad to see it go... it is such a beautiful project... gotta love that station!

Off topic, I was always thinking of placing tons of people with cameras on thin plastic sheets, so that I can place them on platforms for events like 'Sayonara' last runs or 'maiden' runs for new trains, but never got around doing it....   :P

• Like 1
serotta1972

Today was Kanjiyama's final show, at Abingdon. It's next adventure will be a conversion from Japanese to German, so it will live on. It was a sad day, but we all move on, and a new layout thread will be started in due course when I get going.

Here are a few pictures of the final day.

The 'Sayonara Kanjiyama' special, behind a preserved DF50 awaits departure. The Kanjiyama line's own DD13 brings up the rear.

An E131 forms an afternoon service on the final day.

Local_zpsllpb8ix0.jpg

All quiet on the final day...

Yard - typical railway operations - they send a tamper up the line on its final day!

The final connection

Last%20Train_zpslfzpov8e.jpg

The last train

Sayonara_zpsi869it5n.jpg

The final departure - the last train from Kanjiyama. Sayonara.

The End

Where are the usual crowds during these Sayonara runs? :) Good good stuff, thanks for sharing!

• Like 2

Very nice Photos ! The design of layout is pure neat and well done. The Symplicity is at the service of the scenery. Great atmosphere and very beautifull rolling stock.

Good job, a pleasure to discover this layout.

Thanks !

• Thanks 1
John P Boogerd

I have been reading the Kanjiyama article in Continental Modeler again recently and it has provided some real inspiration for my HO layout to come. I’ve never built a layout so I’ll see how it goes. 

Claude_Dreyfus

Thanks. Glad the layout lives on with providing some inspiration. Funnily enough, it was a 00 layout that inspired Kanjiyama. I had reservations about whether the track plan would keep me interested...especially over a two-day show. It took a two-day exhibition helping a friend with his similar (albeit with a slightly simpler plan) 00 layout to prove that, with a little imagination, something similar could prove to be fulfilling to operate.

• Like 1
John P Boogerd

It is my idea to build a 6x8 layout on a flat table with a double mainline loop. Above that a small terminal station on either side with trains entering a tunnel to descend to the main level for a loop and then up to the other terminal station. I have a single and double KiHa 110 as well as another diesel pair from Endo for this run. I only have 8 feet length to work with so I’ll have to do something about the yard as you have it. Kanjiyama really got me thinking though. 

John,

do you have access all the way around the 6x8 table? Even on the 6’ width you will need to lean in 3’+ to work on center stuff. I’m tall an that’s not easy for me to do for any length of time. Also when leaning innit can be very dangerous to scenery nearer the edges depending on the height of the layout and using step stools requires care, it can also get to be a strain on the back for any length of time.

might look at doing a donut layout with a space in the center you can get into to work on thing and even run train from. Might also thing of instead of one giant table doing some smaller sections that pop together. This is one trick to be able to get access to center areas, but still requires some large leaning as some scenery needs to be done all connected up. Building a large built in layout always temps mr Murphy and having to move at some point and tear it apart. I’ve done that with a friend’s and it was sad.

jeff

I’ve got an 8x4 layout which I can get to the back of, and even though it’s still in the early stages I can already say that I wouldn’t want to work on anything 3’ deep. My first layout was 2’6” deep and that was enough of a stretch. 

John P Boogerd

Thankyou. There will be a space in the Center and I will have access from all sides. My biggest reach will only be 2 feet.  Mostly only 18 inches or so from the outer edges or the opening in the center.  

Edited by John P Boogerd
On 4/5/2014 at 3:20 PM, Claude_Dreyfus said:

Kanjiyama went out to play today at a local show; it is out and about again next week as well. 

This time it was pretty much faultless, with only a couple of minor tinkerings with a truculent point to deal with. A few pictures below...

IMG_2974_zps2dc03f26.jpg

The DE10 pulls into Kanjiyama with a rake of sand hoppers. These are the latest addition to the Dreyfus stud - arriving from Japan yesterday (Friday). They are still squeaky clean, so will need some attention sooner rather than later to tone the brightness down. 

IMG_2975_zpse2400615.jpg

Overall view of the sand train, which will now be the standard freight train on Kanjiyama. That baseboard join really bothers me...I'm going to have to do something about that.

IMG_2980_zpsc644dd32.jpg

The former Tarumi railcar departs from Kanjiyama. Note the perspex screen at the front has gone. It was annoying me and getting in the way, so was removed. The more exposed road vehicles at the front have been glued down to prevent them from going walkies!

FANTASTIC work!!!!

• Thanks 1