Kanjiyama - An N gauge Japanese Terminus Layout

Claude_Dreyfus

Claude_Dreyfus

The Tohoku Emotion still looks like a ghost train to me... it's so white-grayish.

It does, but they do seem to keep it clean...certainly in the pictures I have seen of it.

Claude_Dreyfus

A couple of pictures from Kanjiyama's latest outings.

Kanjiyama_zpskuw5gc8r.jpg

A Micro Ace KiHa53 entertains the crowds at Eurotrack.

Kanjiyama_zps78ons98k.jpg

An overall view at Fareham Rotarail.

There is now a break for Kanjiyama until September, when it goes out to play at The International N Gauge show.

In terms of further developments, that is about it. The only sort of 'to do' is the construction of some sort of pelmet to allow better lighting, as well as something a little more satisfactory around layout name and details - fed up with carting lots of bits of paper around with me!

• Like 4
Claude_Dreyfus

Show update time! Kanjiyama has two local exhibitions booked for 2016 now.

First up is the Guildford Astolat club show on 16 January, followed by the much larger Tonbridge MRC show on 20th February.

• Like 1

Claude,

Looking nice as always!

You might check out some of the online print on demand services for doing vinyl banner printing.mwe have one here called vista print (actually think they many be a euro company as well) that does pretty cheap heavy vinyl banners. Quality is decent and price is very good if you catch some of their 40% off. Just stick on with some Velcro bits. Works for larger signs as well as poster info bits and you can just roll them up! Great for signs you might want to hang from the ceiling or behind the layout as you can get them with grommet holes as well.

Jeff

Hope to, but my week on emergency call starts today. So who knows..... Got Clam Jr swimming lesson in Guildford in the morning, if the phone is quiet, We will go after that.

Claude_Dreyfus

Kanjiyama was out to play again today - and again behaved pretty well... Some of the stock was a little stiff, and took a bit of time to get running sweetly, and the customary exhibition change of temperature/humidity meant that the track needed regular cleaning.

Said hello to 'Clam again as well...

Below is a quick snap - a visitor from a far drops into Kanjiyama!

Kanjiyama_zpsmiumk4mj.jpg

• Like 12

Last night I showed my Japanese tutor the photo of your wrapped railcar. She recognized it straight away as she used to read the manga when she was young :D

ゲゲゲの鬼太郎 = GeGeGe no Kitarō

Claude_Dreyfus

Next week Kanjiyama is out and about; travelling up to the one-day Global Rail, organised by the German Railway Society, at Didcot, near Oxford. Didcot is probably best known for its railway museum (the Great Western Society), but being brought up in Southern Railway territory, the GWR is as foreign to me as Japanese trains are to most UK modellers!!

There is an excellent selection of layouts, as well as trade, mainly catering for my German H0 penchant. Anyone attending, do say hello!

• Like 3
Smallrailbs

Yeh photos would be nice. I also like European trains especially Swiss. We dont see alot of European layouts at Aussie exhibitions.....too much Australian stuff. I have boxes of Roco rolling stock and buildings that I hope to build my long planned Swiss switching layout once my current Japanese N is totally finished.

Great looking layout and not over done.

Bernie

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

marknewton

We dont see alot of European layouts at Aussie exhibitions.....too much Australian stuff.

Our famous parochialism at work. When you do see non-Australian layouts at exhibitions they often attract some strange comments from both visitors and other exhibitors. I was chatting with Doug Coster one time while he was displaying his Enoshima layout, when a bloke demanded to know why he was showing photos of trains running through snow with snowploughs. He was absolute adamant that it doesn't snow in Japan.

A number of times when I've been running my H0 scale JNR stuff on my club layout at shows I've been told that they couldn't possibly be Japanese trains, because;

1) Japanese trains are always N scale,

or

2) Japanese trains are all "bullet trains".

And these were comments made by other modellers/exhibitors!

Cheers,

Mark.

Edited by marknewton
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Same happens here in the US at times with the JRM layout. Some older vets have given the big frown a few times. Some US Modelers just walk by the layout as its not US trains. But these are a small minority. Many are interested or once you talk to them they will listen to the facts about Japanese trains and open their minds up!

Jeff

• Like 1
Claude_Dreyfus

It happens in the UK a lot also. If your layout is not UK transition (1950s to 1960's); also known as 'steam and green', then many punters are just not interested. I have heard some corkers from some visitors; "very nice show, but there are just too many foreign layouts" overheard at a show named 'Eurotrack', being a classic example.

• Like 1
Claude_Dreyfus

The show proved to be very successful, and Kanjiyama performed pretty much faultlessly I am please to say. In fact this was probably the most reliable show the layout has attended; which I put down to the hall being less hot and humid.

I managed to get a picture of all the layouts present...although I have needed to use a couple of posts as there looks to be an image limit.

Bad%20Obing_zpsq2m2wx4s.jpg

Bad Obing - 0 gauge 1960s DB

Bahnbetriebswerk%20Bugelshausen_zps6611s
Bw Bugelshausen - H0 epoch 4 DB

Catford%20Vermont%20amp%20Koln%20Beutelm
Catford Vermont and Koln Beutelmieze - 2 for price of 1! US and DB H0

Clara%20Zetkin%20Stadt_zpspm4d6tas.jpg
Clara Zetkin Stadt - East Germany - epoch 3 (nice bit of Ulbricht-era grot!).

Hochstadt_zpsivbqnqzu.jpg
Hochstadt - 0 gauge 50s/60s DB

Kanjiyama_zpsnlb4qyxe.jpg
Kanjiyama - no introduction needed on this thread! Those little railcars (Tomix KiHa 01) are very cute, and performed faultlessly at the show.

• Like 4
Claude_Dreyfus

Part 2

Starker%20Verkehr_zpsn1chyhx6.jpg
Starker Verkehr - epoch 5(?) DB

Stromallee_zps0ra8e3ik.jpg
Stromallee - TT epoch 5 DB

South%20Bohemia_zps3pnm0xuf.jpg
South Bohemia - TTe Czech; very nice landscape

Little%20Hister_zps3imklqzl.jpg
Little Hister - 0 gauge Southern Railway (with some GWR intrusion)

Zevendaal_zpsa0ntia77.jpg
Zevendaal - H0 Dutch

Rheinside_zps6jbcj2na.jpg
Rhineside - TT DB epoch 3-4

Wolpertinger%20Hbf_zpsrklpz4st.jpg
Wolpertinger Hbf - N gauge epoch 5 DB

• Like 2

The show proved to be very successful, and Kanjiyama performed pretty much faultlessly I am please to say. In fact this was probably the most reliable show the layout has attended; which I put down to the hall being less hot and humid.

I managed to get a picture of all the layouts present...although I have needed to use a couple of posts as there looks to be an image limit.

Bad%20Obing_zpsq2m2wx4s.jpg

Bad Obing - 0 gauge 1960s DB

For a moment I thought that was a new bit of Kanjiyama and was confused by the shunter

Kanjiyama_zpsnlb4qyxe.jpg

Kanjiyama - no introduction needed on this thread! Those little railcars (Tomix KiHa 01) are very cute, and performed faultlessly at the show.

I have the Kiha 02s and for their size and wheelbase they are surprisingly good runners.

• Like 1

That's a lot of German layouts.

Also, I fail to see the Dutch in this. I'm only seeing a German express train going through an industrial area that could be anywhere, with some random Dutch freight cars on the left.

Zevendaal_zpsa0ntia77.jpg
Zevendaal - H0 Dutch

That's a lot of German layouts.

Also, I fail to see the Dutch in this. I'm only seeing a German express train going through an industrial area that could be anywhere, with some random Dutch freight cars on the left.

It looks like there's an ex-DR U-Boot in DB livery lurking on the right. The "Zeeman" logo in the upper centre is indeed a Dutch retailer of cheap clothing, but has a large presence in Germany too.