Kanjiyama - An N gauge Japanese Terminus Layout

Claude_Dreyfus

Beautiful pic with the sunlight on it! Makes me wanna start on my modules again!

Unfortunately Continental Modeller is almost impossible or way too expensive to get here because it isn't sold in the bookshops.

Alan W Aitken

Hello, My first post.

I have read all the way through this tread and i have really enjoyed what i have seen.  I am about to start a Japanese N Scale Layout myself, and this has been a big help.

Very well done on a cracking layout, and i hope to see it at a show some time.

Regards

Alan

Claude_Dreyfus

Thanks for the comment, and good luck with your project...the slippery slope into Japanese model railways! I do a few shows - albeit mainly in the South of England - so you  never know...

Don't hesitate to share more pictures with us.

I'll post some more pretty soon...

Beautiful pic with the sunlight on it! Makes me wanna start on my modules again!

Unfortunately Continental Modeller is almost impossible or way too expensive to get here because it isn't sold in the bookshops.

I was able to grab a nice evening, and it is amazing the difference some natural daylight makes to a photograph. I sense I'm being a bad influence here! 

Congratulations : Looking forward to buying the October CM.

Thanks! The article has been with them since April time, and has been timed for the October edition to mark our club's 50th anniversary. Hopefully the article will be worth reading!

I was able to grab a nice evening, and it is amazing the difference some natural daylight makes to a photograph. I sense I'm being a bad influence here!

I was inspired by Japanese modellers to do the same last year, was pretty amazing!
Claude_Dreyfus

Unfortunately I have just heard that the CM article has needed to be moved back by a month, so will now appear in the November issue (due out in mid-October). Not too upset; just one of those things...

In the meantime...a few more pictures...

Tarumi_zps8eeabe81.jpg

The Tarumi Railway railbus rests by the fuelling road.

KiHa120Arrival_zps14db06ee.jpg

A KiHa120 arrives at Kanjiyama with a Kanjiyama Line service.

Tunnels1_zpsc514c22a.jpg

A KiHa 110 arrives at Kanjiyama with a morning train from Kofu.

• Like 3
Claude_Dreyfus

Today I was sent the draft copy of the Continental Modeller article; it will be six pages, with lots of photographs and a very well drawn track plan; infinitely better than anything I could produce. I am really pleased with the presentation, so hopefully it won't disappoint when published. I am also very pleased to see that Kanjiyama is one of the front cover photos (one of the smaller ones, but no matter). 

As part of my preparation for its next show at the end of the month, I have been adding various little bits. An additional telegraph-type pole has been erected (with attached street lamp), a phone box and vending machine have taken root at the station, a new fence is appeared and some children's garden play things have also cropped up by one of the apartment blocks. Little things maybe, but their gradual addition gives a little more visual interest.

The layout was at the Gaugemaster Open weekend in early September; sharing a row of layouts including UK, 1980s Australia and Epoch 1 Bavaria...all in N Gauge! Kanjiyama behaved well, with only the knuckle couplings on the DD51 being a regular source of irritation - they kept catching on the point frog...despite continual fiddling.

A couple of pictures from the show below...

KanjiyamaOverall_zpse99be008.jpg

Kanjiyama_zpsa248c14e.jpg

Finally, and as part of a concerted effort on my part to 'get with' modern social media, Kanjiyama has its own Twitter account! Occasional ramblings (subject to précis to 140 characters or less) will no doubt be coming forth at a regular basis until I start to forget about it... Link below in my signature...  

• Like 8

Absolutely fantastic layout Claude!

The amount of landscaping you've got in a relatively small space is really something to be admired.

Looking forward to reading about Kanjiyama in CM :)

Always enjoy seeing new pictures of the layout, and it seems you have an infinite variety of DMU stock. I should have ordered my E130 when I had the occasion, now it is a bit late. It really stands out along the Kiha 48 and the Kiha 110.

It looks like the Umineko is not fitted with TN couplers. 

Claude_Dreyfus

Thanks. I have tried to have a varied selection on show, but the E131 is certainly popular is it has more than a passing resemblance to the BR class 156.

The Umineko unit is yet another victim of me not getting around to do stuff...hence the standard couplers still being fitted.

Oh yeah. I know that, I have at least two boxes of TN couplers around, not mounted. They have been like that for months. Though it makes quite a huge difference to the look and feel of the model to have them fitted. You should do it if you have them, it takes around 2 to 5 minutes to install for a 2-cars set.

Edit: Nah, I actually had three and a half boxes of TN couplers lying around. This discussion pushed me to upgrade a couple of sets.

Edited by disturbman
Claude_Dreyfus

Picture not showing for me, but I picked up a copy of the magazine at Birmingham New Street earlier today :)

Great stuff!

Read it tonight...it'll help with the jet-lag...

Would this be the first Japanese layout that has featured in CM? I look forward to that issue finally reaching the shores of The Antipodes (about a month more).

Would this be the first Japanese layout that has featured in CM? I look forward to that issue finally reaching the shores of The Antipodes (about a month more).

There have been others, they only average about one every two or three years though.

I subscribe online, the digital issue was available a couple of days ago.

Edited by westfalen

Thanks. I have just subscribed, and the layout is a beauty!

"they [Japanese layouts] only average about one every two or three years though" About the same as Z scale.

Claude_Dreyfus

Thanks all.

Yes, Japanese layouts do crop up from time to time. There was even a Japanese Z gauge earlier this year.

Congratulations Nick, it's great to see a member of our community in print. CM is one of only three magazines I buy regularly, it always has something to interest me, but a Japanese layout really makes it worthwhile having.

All the best,

Mark.