Just another layout

richm1981

Hi, I have been dropping in on this forum for some time because of my interest in Japan and n-gauge. I found out about kato unitrack and how good it was for occasional layouts running on the floor which is what I wanted but I have been inspired by everyone here and have decided to create a permenant layout.

It's quite simple as I don't have much space to work with (139cm X 68cm) and I'm not that creative but I'm enjoying planning it and putting it together bit by bit each time I get paid. I have a V2 Single Viaduct kit which I'm desperate to add but I think it's impossible in the space I have.

My intention is to create an urban commuter line and keep it relatively simple with just a few buildings to give the general impression of a built up area. I have two Joban line trains for it so far.

Thanks for reading.

post-286-13569924170345_thumb.jpg

post-286-13569924170799_thumb.jpg

post-286-13569924171139_thumb.jpg

Good idea. I'm looking forward to seeing how your ideas progress.

A commuter line doesn't have to be big.  There are several lines in Tokyo that use fairly short trains. Consider the Keisei Kanamachi Line, a spur off the Keisei Electric Railway that's single-track for most of its length.  Or the Tsurumi Line, which is double-track but has branches serving industrial areas with single-side stations served by three-car 205-series trains.  Your loop and spur could easily be such a line/branch combo.

Have you considered trying to use the 15-degree crossing to allow your outer loop to reach the second track of the spur? I'm not sure if the geometry would work, but it's worth looking into.

Another line with short trains is the Tokyu Ikegami line with three car sets.  It comes right into the heart of Tokyo and connects with the Yamanote line.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T%C5%8Dky%C5%AB_Ikegami_Line

Tokyu IKEGAMI Line

Hasunuma Station

http://homepage3.nifty.com/Binichi/spot/ikegami/hasunuma.jpg

http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%83%95%E3%82%A1%E3%82%A4%E3%83%AB:Hasunumastn.jpg

Looks good. Have you thought of a crossover to get trains from the sidings to and from the outside loop? With Unitrack though, this would be easy to add if you decide you want it after running trains for a while.

Wow, thanks for all of the responses and information, there's some good idea's for me to think about. Eventually I was going to add a double crossover at the front of the layout to make the outer loop more involved. Like this...

post-286-13569924174222_thumb.jpg

Wow, thanks for all of the responses and information, there's some good idea's for me to think about. Eventually I was going to add a double crossover at the front of the layout to make the outer loop more involved. Like this...

Wow, it's my dinning room table -  I haven't made that exact layout with the inner turnout, but those are the same dimensions I have space for, right down to the double crossing. And I have all the pieces needed....steals richm1981's layout

As it was mentioned above, I also suggest a V7 set (or the crossover) for you, it can increase the possiblities of playing on the layout. Your plan is simple, but you can use 3 trains on it wihout any problem. Just one thought: I would rather put the crossover to the background, so you can build longer station in the foreground.

Thanks IST. Probably a stupid question but I assume you wouldn't find a crossover at a station? I guess if a train was at the platform the crossover can't be used.

post-286-13569924176585_thumb.jpg

Depending on how or if you intend to fix down your track, you might consider moving the level crossing (rerailers) to the other side - both the crossing and the double switch perform a useful function of holding the track at the correct spacing. Having one on each side of the loop will keep it from warping out of shape too much, since it not only keeps the tracks the correct distance apart, the two loops will hold each other in the desired shape when joined like that. You might also want to replace the two 62mm sections with feeders  :grin

Probably a stupid question but I assume you wouldn't find a crossover at a station?

At the platforms I think no. But I am not familiar with the structure of the Japanese stations.

Mudkip Orange

Absolutely, you'd find a crossover immediately downstream or upstream of the platform.

But not usually in the station itself. Although there are exceptions (Overbrook, PA is one, but I don't know of any in Japan specifically)

Looks really nice! I should get on with it myself when I'm back again at my layout.

Are you considering a tunnel or some sort of visual blocking to distract the eye of the loop/tail-chasing illusion?

Thanks again for the comments. I think adding a grass mat somewhere (maybe the left of the layout) to break-up the areas and add a bit of colour would be good.  I thought about adding a tunnel but think the contours would be really steep. i'll look for some ideas on the net.

Some video I put together, no eurodance music though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cfxfqp_ogkg&hl=en_GB&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999

• Like 4