Sayonara (Good-Bye) Series 500 - Nozomi

February 28.

Two SAYONARA trains were run.

first.

500Series SHINKANSEN NOZOMI 16cars formation.

We get impossible to look at 500Series at Tokyo station.

However, 500series is used in SANYO SHINKANSEN (Shin-OSAKA to HAKATA) KODAMA.

second,I think that there isn't familiarity for all ............

HANKYU 6300 Series 8cars Formation.

4cars Form is operates in ARASHIYAMA Line.

I'll miss the 500's the most, though at least they will run in the new formation west from Osaka.

What's left of them once they reduce the consist and scrap the surplus cars.

Mudkip Orange

It's weird to think of any part of those trains being scrapped after only 15 years of existence.

Slowly, the era of trains with reasonable-sized windows comes to a close...

That's the flip side of rapid adoption of new technology; early obsolescence of the old.

But I'll miss the 500 Series too. I'd hoped to ride one if/when I ever got to Japan, and that's looking unlikely at this rate. And the duckbill trains may be more efficient (and quieter) for high speed, but they're seriously ugly (at least to me).

It's weird to think of any part of those trains being scrapped after only 15 years of existence.

Slowly, the era of trains with reasonable-sized windows comes to a close...

I remember seeing them when they first entered revenue service in 1997, they were only doing one Tokyo-Hakata round trip a day to start with, things have come full circle. I must try and finally get a ride on one while I'm there later this year as we are staying a few nights in Kokura, being odd units in the Shinkansen fleet I can't see them lasting very long even in Kodama service. The 0 and 100 series hung on for a while but there would have been a larger stock of spare parts to keep them going.

Watching these Sayonara videos it's almost as much fun watching the railfans as the trains. Those guys at the front who at the last second hold their cellphone up in front of you would get a few choice words of advice if I was there.

That's the trend, just look at the 253's. There's a lot of older stock in the JRE system I would think could be displaced by the ex-Narita Express trains such as JRE 185's. They have more mileage than the 253's do. The rail network one would think would be able to take a 253 somewhere in Japan, but what ya goin' to do?

(Note, I use the 185-253 as an example only of replacing much older rolling stock with stock half its age, not to debate whether or not the 253 would be suitable to replace 185's or any other rolling stock.)

That's the flip side of rapid adoption of new technology; early obsolescence of the old.

But I'll miss the 500 Series too. I'd hoped to ride one if/when I ever got to Japan, and that's looking unlikely at this rate. And the duckbill trains may be more efficient (and quieter) for high speed, but they're seriously ugly (at least to me).

This just the last run of the full Series 500.  The shortened version will continue to run on the Sanyo Shinkansen.

The 500s don't do anything for me, but I'm sorry to see the Hankyu 6300s go. I like them!  :grin

Cheers,

Mark.

bikkuri bahn
Those guys at the front who at the last second hold their cellphone up in front of you would get a few choice words of advice if I was there.

Hear hear!  An example of the lack of etiquette among "railfans" nowadays- most likely recently jumped on the bandwagon.

CaptOblivious

I was wondering if anyone here would pine for the lost Hankyu's…there is something quite striking about the 6300's, and I think Hankyu rolling stock is undervalued by us at this forum (including by myself).

The 6300's where the first Japanese trains that caught my eye, and where my second purchase (maybe I should grab the add on set before Kato decides to stop producing them ).

I was wondering if anyone here would pine for the lost Hankyu's…there is something quite striking about the 6300's, and I think Hankyu rolling stock is undervalued by us at this forum (including by myself).

Hankyu is a very interesting railway.  Especially the Juso Station and the six track main line into Umeda.  Not quite as much as some JR locations, but a very impressive operation.

Not by me, Don!  :grin

I'm very partial to Hankyu, ever since I picked up the Yamakei book on the railway. Their subsidiary railway Noseden is also a firm favourite.

All the best,

Mark.