Mobile phone - which one??

Lawrence

For which kind of use?

The allrounder is the iPhone. The 3G is a little bit old but works allover fine. Dont try to use powerfull applications like Tom Tom or Navigon on it. This is really slow and you wouldnt be happy with it.

For the most thinks is fantastic: phone, music, internet and some funny apps. Do you use other apple products? Do you use iTunes?

Blackberry is a business product. It do all office things good but that was it. In germany as now Business user you can only forward mails to the phone. Other syncs only via calbe.

The 5230 is a nokia. Good usability but not many Applications.

The main is how much would you like to pais (phone and monthly cost) and what would you like to do with the phone?

I had a privat Blackberry and actual a blackberry for business. For all-day-use it is to basic. The internet is not good looking on it, mail is like an old ASCII-Client, office documents must convert by the server to display it on the phone.

On the iPhone Internet looks like on PC, Mail App is smooth. Only the calendar is a little bit 'tricky'. I am missing a Homescreen which shows missing calls with name or number and and next upcoming events.

With heavy use the battery runs less a day. You should charge the phone every night.

I have tryed the Nokia only in a store. It is good looking, Good phone and Music player but I miss there good internet programs for surfing and mail on it.

Maybe this will help you

Historically, I love the Nokia. Of the 7 phones I've owned over the past 16 years, 4 of them were Nokia. They're built like a rock, and are twice as hard to destroy. Not sure about the flip-smart phones they make now, but every Nokia I had I have loved. I've dropped one of my phones or I should say one of my phones had fallen out of my pocket on several times while riding the caboose of the little tourist railroad I work at on several occasions striking the rail head from 25mph and have been unscathed. The other thing I like about Nokia is the batteries ability over time and battery life (power management) I've yet to have to ever replace a battery. Typical service life for a phone is two years, but my last Nokia lasted four. (A Samsung flip phone was destroyed after three months of use, and I put my old Nokia in to replace it until my time for a new phone came due on Verizon)

As for Crackberries, I'm not a big fan of the interface. I just hate that little mashed up keyboard. My current phone is an LJ enV2 which opens to a QWERTY keyboard that I love. I am still on Verizon and have had mobile web on in it the past. However, I find even with the QWERTY keyboard, the 1.5" screen way to small for any practical web-surfing.  People seem to be strangely addicted to the Crackberries though. I'm not sure I see why, becasue in the past to me the Crackberry looks and operates more like a Palm Pilot with a keyboard more than anything else. (though the Palm Pre and Pixi have a GUI like most new iPhone contenders offer)

Personally, when my contract comes up, I plan to move to AT&T and give up a good bit of coverage that I had with Verizon for an iPhone 3Gs (assuming the 4g is not out by then) this fall. Thanks to Jeff (damn you Jeff) I have an iPod Touch that essentially has replaced my PocketPC and my netbook. While the Tom-Tom GPS apps suck, I found that the real-time map function powered by Google's works flawlessly here and have used it on a buddy's iPhone with better reliability and results than my car's GPS. While not entirely ready to join the rank and files of the Cult of Apple, I am ready to move up to the iPhone and think it has the most use of the three phones.

It took me a year or so of slipping Aaron the apple drug in his tea when here and playing him subliminal tapes chanting apple apple apple, when he was over, but it finally worked! he is now an apple convert. Ha got another one. i get a big bounty on each shrunken pc head i bring into apple, making me rich and thus affording the kumamoto castle i put on reserve...

cheers

jeff

ps yes all you pc heads it is true one night you go to bed a pc zombie and the next morning you wake up with an iphone in your ear and a ipad on your lap and an imac on your desk...

Krackel Hopper

It took me a year or so of slipping Aaron the apple drug in his tea when here and playing him subliminal tapes chanting apple apple apple, when he was over, but it finally worked! he is now an apple convert. Ha got another one. i get a big bounty on each shrunken pc head i bring into apple, making me rich and thus affording the kumamoto castle i put on reserve...

cheers

jeff

ps yes all you pc heads it is true one night you go to bed a pc zombie and the next morning you wake up with an iphone in your ear and a ipad on your lap and an imac on your desk...

No offense Jeff, or anyone on here who ownes/prefers Mac.. but I find this website hilarious!

Caution: Contains Offensive Language

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=macs_cant

hey no offense taken here! Its actually a compliment as when folks have to resort to this sort of response you know its the right thing (na na na na im not listening na na na)!

yes all us mac types spend a lot of time yelling like this, its true. its just hard to watch so much of the world banging their heads into the wall (i see a 1984 spin off commercial in this!).

actually all the mac types looked like total nerds and dweebs before they got macs, then all of a sudden we look cool. ponytails pop out, glasses get small and square, clothing turns all black, birkenstock pop out. was not sposta let that secret out, but you will notice that we revert immediately if we dont at least have an ipod in our pocket. kind of like the star trek episode with mudd's women...

sorry i get pithy on this one after 25 years working on both the dark and bright sides of it... moving back and forth between them makes you cranky.

[philosophy] working in the creative world as well its been hard to watch the slow drain in any real art or design in our culture -- we have become a bit of a xerox of a xerox culture. but it does mean its poised to be able to really do stuff that can stand out and bring it back into our culture. [/philosophy]

cheers

jeff

ok, ok, ok, calm down guys  :grin

I could also get the HTC Hero or Motorola DEXT, no nexus though, they do have a Toshiba TG01

Really just going to use it as a phone mainly, some browsing and a bit of emailing.

Won't be buying a Mac either  :cheesy I'll stick to my pc thanks  :grin

Do you have a chance to a "hands on" with iPhone and a HTC Hero?

Have a closer look there.

iPhone works fine with windows also

Buying an iPod Touch does not make one a convert.

ha real success, he doesnt even know he is converted!

ha ha ha ha ha skinny pony tail guy walks away laughing diabolically!

jeff

Buying an iPod Touch does not make one a convert.

ha real success, he doesnt even know he is converted!

ha ha ha ha ha skinny pony tail guy walks away laughing diabolically!

jeff

I don't own an iPhone yet :p

Went for the HTC Hero in the end, so far so good, but much to learn yet.  Will probably spend the next couple of weeks working out how to use it and seeing what apps are worth downloading.

Darren Jeffries

Lawrence,

Do let us know how you get on with the phone.

I personally have a iPhone 3GS 32GB and swear by it. It's the best phone i have had.

I wouldn't have anything else.

CaptOblivious

Yay! I love my android phone (I'm posting from it now as I lie in bed)! If you have any questions about your new phone I'm happy to help out, just PM me.

Went for the HTC Hero in the end, so far so good, but much to learn yet.  Will probably spend the next couple of weeks working out how to use it and seeing what apps are worth downloading.

Darren Jeffries

Yay! I love my android phone (I'm posting from it now as I lie in bed)!

Ok..... too much information. :laughing4:

Yay! I love my android phone (I'm posting from it now as I lie in bed)!

Ok..... too much information. :laughing4:

OMG!!! Don, are you surfing trains from the web again!? So addicted he mobile searches from bed!?  :laugh:

CaptOblivious

Hey, I tell you what: It's nice to be able to check one's email and the weather, and the forum, first thing in the morning without having to remove the blankets!

Hey, I tell you what: It's nice to be able to check one's email and the weather, and the forum, first thing in the morning without having to remove the blankets!

Actually, I can't argue with that. Sadly, I do the same thing from my iTouch in bed, the shower, the drive to work, at the drive-thru, and then there's the iPod...  :laugh: