Completely off topic but...

Darren Jeffries

Darren Jeffries

This is totally not train related but... One of my other huge interests is Buildings and in particular new constructions.

At the moment the two most fascinating developments for me are the Palm Islands developments in Dubai and the Burj Dubai building.

The Palm Islands are a fascinating idea of expanding the city without encroaching on more natural land and without replacing sand for concrete. And why not use the sea? After all the earth is 2/3 covered in water.

The Burj Dubai project is also fascinating, not least because it will be the worlds tallest building with 162 floors and standing over 800m tall. It will have triple decker elevators and many new improvements to ensure a repeat of the 9/11 disaster does not happen in the event of a terrorist attack.

I highly recommend having a look on wikipedia at these two.

Does this make me an official geek? :P

CaptOblivious

Does this make me an official geek? :P

Not hardly! If, on the other hand, you were going to scratch-build them for your UAE Railway layout, that would be a different story...

I find anything that man builds of this magnitude interesting. I've seen old footage of workers building the Empire State building and the Washington Bridge, and you just can't believe how they did it. Did you know it only took them 13 months to build the Empire State building and most of the construction workers were American Indians. When you see these guys suspended by just a cable across the Hudson River ( while building the Geoge Washington Bridge) eating lunch, you ask yourself how they did it especially without the aid of modern equipment.

So no, you're not a geek.