Nankai 50000

Guest Bernard

we came in on an adjacent platform so i could walk over to the rapit. the cleaning crew was just stepping off and waited 30 sec for me to get a very fast look before they had to shut the doors and move off, lots of smiles, but had to move on... i think i got one bad picture, ill look. were in a little rush for the plane so i couldnt stand around too long.

cheers

jeff

Guest JRF-1935

Hi Guys,

Pre-ordered mine in Nov 2010 from HS for 15,033 Yen (Micro Ace) - received in Feb 2011 - Recently found out the Beautiful Design is based on a Samuri Helmet, not Jules Verne or Darth Vader  :laugh:  Love this train!

Rich C

• Like 2
Martijn Meerts

There's been a bit of talk about the inspiration for the Nankai 50000 before. Officially it's inspired by a samurai helmet (and therefor also inspired by Darth Vader's helmet, considering that's inspired by samurai helmets as well ;)) but in all honesty, I see much more Jules Verne in it than a samurai helmet.

Guest JRF-1935

There's been a bit of talk about the inspiration for the Nankai 50000 before. Officially it's inspired by a samurai helmet (and therefor also inspired by Darth Vader's helmet, considering that's inspired by samurai helmets as well ;)) but in all honesty, I see much more Jules Verne in it than a samurai helmet.

Martijn

I see the Jules Verne in it also, especially with the rounded windows like the Nautilus, more than the Kabuto.    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kabuto

Darth Vader's helmet design is still an industry secret where the design came from.  Best guess for Darth and C3PO -

http://boingboing.net/2010/12/13/proto-vader-and-prot.html    Note the designer "Vajen Bader"  - interesting -  but the Nankai Rapit is still one of the "coolest" trains in Japan.  Is there any more info on the Samurai Warrior who wore the helmet that inspired the design?  That is something I'd really like to know about.

Rich C

Martijn Meerts

There are many types of helmets, and of course, Vader's mask is a combination of helmet and mask. The mask part could well be inspired by the mask in your link. However, the helmet part is almost certainly inspired by the zunari kabuto.

Vader's helmet doesn't look anything like my kabuto, but then again, mine is a fairly simple footsoldier kabuto =)

Hi everyone, just wondering what train this is? what line(s) it runs or ran on? and does anyone make a model of it? This is the weirdest/coolest thing I have ever seen.

Yeah, this train seems to elicit two reactions: Love or hate!  :cheesy  

I'm in the former camp.... :grin   I believe MicroAce was going to reissue their model of this, the only listing I could find was for the older one.  

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10037236

Correction: They did reissue it. And it sold out damned quick. I was lucky enough to have a chance to play with one belonging to nik_n_dad while I converted it to DCC: It's a good model, and damn good looking.

Can't wait to ride the real thing in October!

Cap'n

Ipicked one up from HS just recently.  I had it on reserve.  Hope you post the how-to guide for the DCC conversion ... it will make my life a lot easier.

Cheers

The_Ghan

CaptOblivious
Hi everyone, just wondering what train this is? what line(s) it runs or ran on? and does anyone make a model of it? This is the weirdest/coolest thing I have ever seen.

Yeah, this train seems to elicit two reactions: Love or hate!  :cheesy  

I'm in the former camp.... :grin   I believe MicroAce was going to reissue their model of this, the only listing I could find was for the older one.  

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10037236

Correction: They did reissue it. And it sold out damned quick. I was lucky enough to have a chance to play with one belonging to nik_n_dad while I converted it to DCC: It's a good model, and damn good looking.

Can't wait to ride the real thing in October!

Cap'n

Ipicked one up from HS just recently.  I had it on reserve.  Hope you post the how-to guide for the DCC conversion ... it will make my life a lot easier.

Cheers

The_Ghan

I didn't take any photos :( But the good news is that it is just like any other Micro Ace install, which is to say, easy once you know what you're looking at :D I'll post some photos when I do my E653 later, because the results will be readily generalizable.

Guest JRF-1935

There are many types of helmets, and of course, Vader's mask is a combination of helmet and mask. The mask part could well be inspired by the mask in your link. However, the helmet part is almost certainly inspired by the zunari kabuto.

Vader's helmet doesn't look anything like my kabuto, but then again, mine is a fairly simple footsoldier kabuto =)

Thanks Martijn

I asked my friend in Japan what the Japanese Rail Fan's think of the design -

Dear Richard-san:

Among Japanese rail-funs, we call it as Tetujin 28-go style, that literally means "Iron Man #28" is a 1956 manga written and illustrated by Mitsuteru Yokoyama, who also created Giant Robo. The series centred on the adventures of a young boy named Shotaro Kaneda, who controlled a giant robot named Tetsujin 28, built by his late father.

Please follow this:

http://www.kobe-tetsujin.com/index.html

:cheesy

Rich C

Ah! I would never have made the connection between the two. I stumble upon it by accident (after walking along the mainline for hours) and I was quite imrpessed by it.

post-156-13569927270535_thumb.jpg

Martijn Meerts

Thanks Martijn

I asked my friend in Japan what the Japanese Rail Fan's think of the design -

Dear Richard-san:

Among Japanese rail-funs, we call it as Tetujin 28-go style, that literally means "Iron Man #28" is a 1956 manga written and illustrated by Mitsuteru Yokoyama, who also created Giant Robo. The series centred on the adventures of a young boy named Shotaro Kaneda, who controlled a giant robot named Tetsujin 28, built by his late father.

Please follow this:

http://www.kobe-tetsujin.com/index.html

:cheesy

Rich C

That robot definitely has a certain element of the Nankai 50000 in it. Or, I guess it should be the other way around =)

Guest JRF-1935

I wouldnt be able to make the Gigantor connection to the Rap:t

Shashinka

I think you missed the "pun" here - There is no connection.  It's a "Rail-Fun" not "Rail-Fan" explanation.  My freind has an extreme sense of humor, and an excellent use of English. 

:laugh:

Rich C