Nankai 50000

Guest Bernard

Guest Bernard

Okay Bill or anyone,

I think this is the most unique train I've seen. Do you know any thing about it?

Also how do you post you videos instead of a link but full screen?

Ooops, it looks like it came up full screen, I wonder what I did wrong?

Darren Jeffries

Okay Bill or anyone,

I think this is the most unique train I've seen. Do you know any thing about it?

Also how do you post you videos instead of a link but full screen?

Ooops, it looks like it came up full screen, I wonder what I did wrong?

This is the airport express i think... looks more like a cylon than a train !!! (battlestar galactica humor :P)

This was available from Microace some time ago but was a limited edition and BIG BUCKS!!! if you can find one, you are one of the lucky few...

Edit... I see you are talking about this in another post.... 22,000 yen is not a bad price at all if you can get it.

Guest bill937ca

Here's some more info Bernard.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nankai_50000_series

http://pics.livejournal.com/feorag/gallery/0002xaxx?page=1

Looks like it'd make a good train for an evil emperor in old of the old Buck Rogers movies!

Here is an old thread from Skycraper City on Japan Mass Transit with many train photos.  The white train near the top is an Odakyu Romance Train. Photos of the 50000 are further down.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=194709

Guest Bernard

I forgot to ask you, is the Nankai 50000 still running? It doesn't look that old of a train.

I agree, it reminds me of something out of a Jules Verne novel or a 50's Sci-fi movie.

Tomorrow I have another train I found that I'm curious about. Be prepared, I'm calling the thread, "See if you can stump Bill."

Guest bill937ca

It only went into service in 1994.  Should be around for 30-40 years.  I don't think it will "age" as there is nothing like it!  I read that two fares on this train were cheaper than the JR fare for one to the airport.

Darren Jeffries

It only went into service in 1994. Should be around for 30-40 years. I don't think it will "age" as there is nothing like it! I read that two fares on this train were cheaper than the JR fare for one to the airport.

Wow Bill. is there anything you don't know about JR? I certainly know where to come when i need info. Maybe you should put together some sort of Wiki on the subject.

I would be glad to host it here.

Guest bill937ca

It only went into service in 1994.  Should be around for 30-40 years.  I don't think it will "age" as there is nothing like it!  I read that two fares on this train were cheaper than the JR fare for one to the airport.

Wow Bill. is there anything you don't know about JR? I certainly know where to come when i need info. Maybe you should put together some sort of Wiki on the subject.

I would be glad to host it here.

I really don't know that much.  But Nankai is a private railway not JR.  That is a very important distinction which I will do a thread on in a day or so. One of my links was a translated Japanese Wiki page.  Your Google searches can be enhanced by learning a bit Romaji as it relates to railroads and searching with that word.  Then you can translate the Japanese pages with a machine translator. I'll tell you a little more about that also.  It's not perfect, but better than nothing...... Another method is to go to the links page of a Japanese web site and look at the links until you find something interesting...  Then machine translate  and/or bookmark it.

You can also Google for the Electric Railways of Japan: Interurbans--Tramways--Metros.  These were three volumes written 20 plus years ago, but some of the few English language books written on Japanese railways.  JR commuter lines are also covered, but not the intercity lines. I got all three volumes last summer from various sources by searching on Google. They are small volumes like the old Light Tramway with maps but with photos but packed with info.

The Nankai is one of my favorite trains it reminds me of a Jules Verne novel.

How many members have this train in their roster?

As I'm new to this, I don't have one, but what an amazingly bold piece of design, its fantastic!

G

Oh man, do I want that train! I am so hoping that Microace does another release!

Me too and one of the members here found one for me on ebay and was it's starting price high!

I see $499 at Newhall station....of course they don't have it at that price, which is good as it would probably tempt me!  :laugh: 

Are there any other trains with this style in Japan, particularly that haven't made it into N Scale yet?

I see $499 at Newhall station....of course they don't have it at that price, which is good as it would probably tempt me!  :laugh: 

Are there any other trains with this style in Japan, particularly that haven't made it into N Scale yet?

Sadly, New Hall is about 20% over what any of direct distributors in Japan like HobbySearch or HLJ would sell it at.

Martijn Meerts

Can't remember what I paid for mine. I have the limited edition that comes in a wooden box, so it was a bit more expensive because of that.

Can't remember what I paid for mine. I have the limited edition that comes in a wooden box, so it was a bit more expensive because of that.

That's alright Marti, I just want the train, you can keep the box. :grin

That's alright Marti, I just want the train, you can keep the box. :grin

I've the wooden box too

It's not so hard to find in Japanese used market, around 19000JPY the normal plastic box, +1500 the wooden

I've sold one in plastic box because the difference between the 2 trains is very little (it's not the same train, only the cars number and a little mark near the door differ)

Until now no news about re-release...

Ciao

Massimo

Massimo - Let me guess, you have the Nankai too?

off course, it's a little bit difficult to explain what I collect (I need bodyguard at the end....), excluding metropolitan train like 101, 103, 205, 209, and similar all the rest like me, specially diesel locos and strange train like Rapit 50000, normally I have complete set like the original (like the TOMIX special set Asakaze, Ginza, Tsubame etc....), the bad things is that I don't have a layout until now :-(

Rest of my old collection is now on sale but are HO TGV's from Lima (Orange PSE, La Poste second type, Duplex old mark, P01 tilting, Thalis PBA and PBKA all complete whit intermediate cars) and some FS italian locos (if someone need.....but the price is in Euro)

In addiction I have a little collection of N scale Taiwan trains (and a lot of AMTRAK to sell)

if someone need help or infos about old releases, ask me before, maybe avoids taking cheat (ebay sellers, bad shops etc....)

(photos after my old Nikon come back to assistance center..)

ciao

Massimo