Tomix Point Resistance Measurements

cteno4

Hey,

I told ray, the guy who designed the cool BCD capacitance turnout throw, that i would ask here if anyone has any tomix points and a decent multimeter to do some measurements on the resistance of the tomix coils. He wants the values so he can post a table of capacitor values to work well with tomix points. he has measured kato points in N but could also use the HO if anyone here has a HO unitrak point.

the bcd circuit is a very cool way to both be as gentle as possible on your points while giving you turnout direction with a dpdt switch and/or led indicators as well as the potential for doing ladder and joint throws, even memory!

more over on them over here

http://www.jnsforum.com/index.php/topic,1260.0.html

cheers

jeff

ps no financial thing in this at all, just trying to help him as he has done this cool circuit for free and passes it out to all who ask. very simple, cheap and way cool!

CaptOblivious

I have three point motors. Measuring across the exposed solder terminals on the bottom of the motor yields measured resistances of 7.5, 7.3, and 7.2 ohms. That's just the coils, and doesn't include the lenght of wire, I couldn't get my probes into the jack at the end of the wires.

Capt,

thanks mucho. lead wires should not really matter much. cool all three values are pretty close to the same. ill relay this onto ray and see what he thinks.

thanks very much again! the bcd is fun. i made one up to test and it worked. you can even just wire it up with a simple terminal strip. bout $4 per turnout for parts, but lets you use dpdt toggles to show point directions as well as add led indicators for a panel or even on the layout itself.

cheers

jeff

I have three point motors. Measuring across the exposed solder terminals on the bottom of the motor yields measured resistances of 7.5, 7.3, and 7.2 ohms. That's just the coils, and doesn't include the lenght of wire, I couldn't get my probes into the jack at the end of the wires.

capt,

sorry forgot to ask what the part number was of the points you measured!

thanks

jeff

CaptOblivious

No part nos. handy but they were from the older-style (non-sprung) Finetrack 541mm radius turnouts (I have lefties and righties, and they take the same motors). I can't imagine that they use a different motor for their other turnouts, but who knows?

I'm just reviving this old topic to confirm these resistance measurements, for people who find it in the future. I measured a number of Tomix N-gauge point (turnout) motors and they all had a resistance of 7.2 ohms. As mentioned above, Tomix points of various sizes use a single, standardized snap-in motor design. I measured a few Kato N-gauge point coil resistances and confirmed that they measure 22 ohms.

Frankly, I'm surprised that there is so much difference (about a 1:3 ratio) between the two brands.

Rich K.

• Like 1