Construction thread on a Japanese layout (link)

NGT6 1315

Hi Guys:)

today I have changed my station a little bit or even converted a trial basis.

how you find the idea?

img2039j.jpg

img2038fy.jpg

• Like 1

It looks nice and natural to me, but what is the function of the small loop on the right of the station entrance? The first station layout was better IMO.

The benefit of this design (beyond any operational complexity a stub terminal adds) is that you can run two trains continuously on the double-track while stabling several in the station and in the extra tracks to the left. I think there is more capacity is this design than in the original.

And I'm guessing from the "head shunt" track on the right you're looking at running coaching stock with separate locomotives (i.e., older prototypes for Japan, or non-Japanese stock). But I'll admit I'm also puzzled by the throat track arrangement leading into the station.

It would be helpful to know what your goals were with this change in design (or if they were just "I like stub stations").

I will admit, to me through stations feel more Japanese, and I'd thought you were going for Japanese-outline. But there probably are prototype stub stations in Japan with tracks that run past them (Tokyo's Shinkansen terminal may qualify, although I'm not clear on the details of that track plan).

I'm Back: D

So what has been going on, after the trial of the tracks from the last time and put your comments, I went back to the first plan (the other was the only reason because I'm more of the fairways).

So what has been going on?

I have changed the right side of the station, at least the switch area. The train station was just a dead-end track branching to the branch (which will eventually expand once).

The system finally got its legs: D

and now a few pictures, I hope you like it.

img2289u.jpg

img2284q.jpg

img2285r.jpg

img2287y.jpg

img2286v.jpg

Patrick

• Like 2

Looks good.  And the tracks at the end of the platform look much better now. Simpler, and allowing the kind of moves I would expect there, at least on the main line and for the siding with the freight cars.

But it looks like trains from the branch can only get to one track (the one nearest the same side as the branch). Is that correct, or am I missing something?

Darklighter

But it looks like trains from the branch can only get to one track (the one nearest the same side as the branch). Is that correct, or am I missing something?

I suppose you are missing the missing double slip.  :grin

I suppose you are missing the missing double slip.  :grin

By "one track" I meant one of the two tracks entering the station at the far end.  It looks like all three tracks reachable via the double-slip still connect to the outer track of the loop (although there's no good photo of the far end of the station, so maybe that middle track connects to both and just bypasses any platforms.

It seems like service to/from the branch can only be via one platform in the station, and that one platform doesn't have access to both tracks at both ends of the station.

Darklighter

By "one track" I meant one of the two tracks entering the station at the far end.  It looks like all three tracks reachable via the double-slip still connect to the outer track of the loop (although there's no good photo of the far end of the station, so maybe that middle track connects to both and just bypasses any platforms.

It seems like service to/from the branch can only be via one platform in the station, and that one platform doesn't have access to both tracks at both ends of the station.

Oh, now I see what you meant, and I guess you're right.

I'am Back: D

@ Ken's just for you I've reworked it once: D

Now I log back at last times, after a long wait, timelessness through labor pain and now even a small step forward. The plan is now so glaring now final:

japanebene1.jpg

1 - As you can see I have the station including a small museum railway hub supplemented (or even an old diesel - Bw). Even now goes off on a branch line to the DKW back where I can integrate it well into the landscape. The Fiddle Yard is now scheduled finish missing (though still soft, but rich fürn begin four tracks) and then home to over 8 tracks, which can be occupied four of them with two trains.

2 - Here a view on the main and back. good to see is the back walls of the U-profiles are inserted into the segments and I have fixed bolts and wing nuts, so that the system is transportable.

3-4 - here are two full view or left half and right half. Good to see that the left turn module has been primed and the Shinkansen route there is now the main line spans.

5 - Now again the view of the exit turn right, so it should fit:)

6 - View of the turning module is in primer (was not yet dry)

7 - and last but not least even a look underneath, which are so far only the cable switch, then added the control, lighting and power supply cable I'd gone under it look

What do you think?

Patrick

post-290-13569924698857_thumb.jpg

post-290-13569924699453_thumb.jpg

post-290-13569924699993_thumb.jpg

post-290-13569924700556_thumb.jpg

post-290-13569924701117_thumb.jpg

post-290-1356992472908_thumb.jpg

post-290-13569924730071_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Looking good, and I like this branch arrangement better.

The museum is a nice touch. It's a license to put anything you want on the layout, regardless of era or origin.

Shinji - the layout looks great! Two questions, which turntable are you using and the viaduct line, is it a complete continuous line or a point to point line?

Hello Bernard,

Thank you, the hub is one of Tomix for manual operation, but is still exchanged for one of Tomix Electric (only needs to save a little money T_T). The Shinkansen route is a Continuous, should really only one parade route will be the later times extended by one station (future husband on a different plant part: D)

such a small update: D

1 - The idea of the locomotive park or exemplar-Bw Museum is now definitively, so also is the BW bit changed and become bigger:

2 - Currently, about 20 houses are on the test system .... 40-50 will follow

3 - View of Downtown Level 1, the first structures are already sample, and the first traffic test run can be seen

4 - and as a delicacy of the skyline at night, well at least the eye-catcher in my version of Tokyo * g *

Patrick

post-290-13569924734213_thumb.jpg

post-290-13569924734812_thumb.jpg

post-290-13569924735399_thumb.jpg

post-290-13569924735968_thumb.jpg

• Like 2
SubwayHypes

Holy Shiesen!!  Where did you get that tokyo tower I WANTS ME ONE!!!

also, i love your layout.  I like how there is a hidden yard behind the track.

One thing, the green bus in this picture is Tokyo only, so you would not see them in the layout!

img0948bh.jpg

Either way, love your layout, i cant wait to see how it turns out!

• Like 1
Claude_Dreyfus

Ditto for the Tower....that looks very impressive! Would love to know how to get one of those!

Layout looks very promising...looking forward to seeing how this develops.

Hey Guys,

there is some news from me this time just to come on I need your help: (

right now I'm making it the suburbs or to cultivate, therefore, set up the whole house, etc, only I'm not satisfied with the result, you have your ideas, perhaps I could place the houses that the authentic look?

The red line is used to me really as a marker so that the houses are situated only until then to be able to show more landscape:)

If the step is done the fun begins, and I'll show today evening more photos;)

Patrick

post-290-13569924907488_thumb.jpg

post-290-1356992490811_thumb.jpg

post-290-13569924908828_thumb.jpg

post-290-13569924909485_thumb.jpg

You didn't say why you aren't satisfied with the current appearance, but I'll throw out some suggestions.

1. You have a broad open area down near the tower. You could use this for either a park or a pedestrian/taxi/bus plaza serving the station, or you could use it to create a congested residential area with a maze of narrow one-car streets.

2. Vary the kinds of structures in different areas. For example, put some small (2-4 floor) office buildings and department stores near the station itself. Businesses like to locate where there is pedestrian traffic (and railroads often own that land, and own the store buildings, leasing them to tenants).

3. Do other things to break up the uniformity of houses (parking lots, gas stations, a restaurant), but do that with restraint if you want to keep the overall appearance of a residential area. Remember that Japan often mixes businesses, light industry, and housing in the same area. Often two-story buildings will have residences or separate businesses above a business. Another thing to consider is a school. You don't need the whole school, just a portion of an athletic field with a wall around it and some figures of children in school uniforms to give the right impression.

4. Consider varying the kinds of houses in different portions of the scene. Have one area with newer, multi-story single-family (i.e., more expensive) suburban houses, and another with older single-family houses and multi-family apartment buildings, perhaps with more businesses mixed in with the older houses.

And it might help to put down some large sheets of white or gray paper temporarily, and draw streets, sidewalks, and markings for structures you don't have yet, to help visualize what it will eventually look like.  Some people can do that in their head, but I've always found it necessary to have something to look at.

@ Ken I were anxious not so the city looks relaxed but everything really close together, like it happens in big cities of Japan:)

I once implemented the tips, and how you can still see buildings currently lacking are already 70 buildings on site.

Where space is at the Great Shinkansen viaduct still come out two apartment block and follow in the city even more houses with big city flair, I hope you can imagine now how it will look like me, who has only suggestions:)

Patrick

post-290-13569924945715_thumb.jpg

post-290-1356992494747_thumb.jpg

post-290-13569924948297_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Hey Guys,

after a long time, there is some news. : D

yes because on Saturday the 3rd July with us in the city's summer festival is the model Pürner, and just as plants are also exhibited, I am represented by two plants:

first, a TT system for models of the German Federal Railways and just my plant N Tokyo 2010th

But as the last few weeks have been devoted to the TT system, I now had in a very short time, the N system working out for the most part (and the time is running on and on). Therefore I want you to show what the last 16 hours at the plant's happened.

My biggest problem remains the city, I'm just not pleased with the action of the city, I will not really Japanese or city before moderate. So I now sometimes begging for help just the presence of the buildings (last post) is really the right way, I have only one day half for it: cry:

Patrick

post-290-13569925000674_thumb.jpg

post-290-13569925001249_thumb.jpg

post-290-1356992500181_thumb.jpg

Patrick - You really did a lot! What I like is how you worked the Unitrack into the scenery, ballasted it and blended it with the ground cover. Nice work.

Thank you: D

Now times pictures from today ...... I really can not remember, I am quite ready to complete design oO so far has been created since Tuesday out of nowhere, I hope you you can imagine how I feel. : D

Okay, that's all I'll make more tomorrow as the plant is built, I'm curious how people react * g *

Patrick, who is having trouble now with the city

post-290-13569925006756_thumb.jpg

post-290-13569925007622_thumb.jpg

post-290-13569925008253_thumb.jpg

post-290-13569925008832_thumb.jpg

post-290-13569925009449_thumb.jpg

post-290-13569925010026_thumb.jpg

• Like 1
CaptOblivious

This has come together amazingly quickly, and is top-notch work, too! I'm very impressed. It looks like a lot of fun to operate as well.