New Project Party?

Krackel Hopper

When I commented on Tomix super-mini, Kato R216 and flex track, I was saying that any of those could be used.  Not that we should pick one of those to use.  I don't think people should be limited to a specific type of track.  Not only for availability and compatibility, but also for appearance.  Someone may want wooden ties, others concrete, maybe someone on here wants to use code 55 rail.. the track should not be limited to a specific brand..

However, I'm not sure if I like the idea of repeating the last theme.  It seems bland..

I agree, the theme needs to be open enough that everyone can accommodate it into their layout/plans, but there still needs to be a theme.  For instance, maybe not a "rural" station, but how about a station theme?  For those people wanting to build a big Kato Viaduct station across the board to those who want to scratch build a country station.  Every layout can use a station.. heck, even a tram stop could fall into this category and we could still have a "theme"...

My personal opinion is every layout can use a rail yard too.. it could be as small as a single siding, or as big as.. well.. as big as your living quarters allows.

Point is, maybe not every layout needs a skyscraper, but a "residents of your layout" theme would allow some people to build skyscrapers or apartments, some to build old country shops and others to build maybe a lone farmhouse.

We can still have a theme and not alienate people because it does not fit their needs.  I'm not saying the last party wasn't a good idea, it was.. but I think some people might not want to participate because it's "just the same old thing.." offering something new, the chance to see several projects.. several different stations for example.. would be a great idea.. and hopefully spur some creativity and discussion on the boards..

I won't say know no to a station theme, I've one to build.  :grin

I would like to ask: in what would you all personally interested? You can pick up several "themes".

Krackel Hopper

I won't say know no to a station theme, I've one to build.  :grin

I would like to ask: in what would you all personally interested? You can pick up several "themes".

I am up for about anything.

I think a station theme might get the most amount of people signing up.. but whatever everyone wants to do, you can more-or-less count me in..

I've got T-Trak modules to make, and I'm sure I could incorporate about any theme we decide into a module.  Even if we restrict the size, I would probably just make it a modular landscape piece that would fit onto a T-Trak module.. heh..

JNS Forum Throwdown: Bridge scene

JNS Forum Throwdown: Station Scene

JNS Forum Throwdown: Freestyle

Those are my finalists, anyone can add to the list.

Once I think there are enough ideas, we can start a poll.

Throwdown: Bobby Flay style!

Mudkip Orange

If the topic is "freestyle" I'm just going to scratchbuild some N scale turntables and a sound system and have "Sushi K" performing for a sold out crowd.

JNS Forum Throwdown: Bridge scene

JNS Forum Throwdown: Station Scene

JNS Forum Throwdown: Freestyle

Those are my finalists, anyone can add to the list.

Once I think there are enough ideas, we can start a poll.

Throwdown: Bobby Flay style!

As long as station can be interpretted as any type of train platform (i.e. an old muscle powered freight station where boxcars are loaded) then those all sound good.

Krackel Hopper

As long as station can be interpretted as any type of train platform (i.e. an old muscle powered freight station where boxcars are loaded) then those all sound good.

I don't see why not.  I think the "station theme" should encompass everything from big city stations, to rural stations, to tram stops, to freight stations.  I think everyone can make their own judgment call on this.  Heck, I would probably even say it fits the category if you were building a factory/warehouse with a rail side loading dock.. a gray area, but probably still on the side of being acceptable for the theme..

I think we can use a theme so all the projects have some remote sign of cohesion in all of this..

Darren Jeffries

Ok, well there seems to be some call for this. So please can i ask those who would like to host this party to PM me with their suggestion for a theme.

No PM's=No Party=No Host