Belgium train crash

bikkuri bahn

Mudkip Orange

Wow!

If you check out Google Maps, Buizingen is just a couple km north of where the high-speed Thalys line merges into the "regular" rail network for the last 10 miles to Brussels. I would think that any line where high-speed rail meshes with commuter trains would at least have some kinda ATS. What's up with that?

Depends, high speed trains could be limited to a sole pair of tracks in this mesh. In such a configuration, the entire corridor wouldn't need to be fully equiped.

From what I've read, the signaling system suffered a power loss. Which, in combination with a non redundant security system lead to the crash. I understood that signals are not repeated in Belgium so it is easy to miss one in bad weather and that the implemented TBL only control approach speeds, not stops.

The trains should have stop after the signaling system went off but nothing warned their conductors. Awfull story, I'm allmost surprised this didn't happen before.

I'm also amazed this made the news in Japan.

According to the Belgian paper Le Soir, one of the trains in the collision was not fitted with an automatic train stop device, which would have activated should the train pass a red signal. Apparently full implementation of such positive train control systems won't occur until 2013.

source (French lang.):

http://www.lesoir.be/actualite/belgique/2010-02-15/catastrophe-ferroviaire-a-hal-753780.shtml

A driver missing a red signal, (I say 'missing' because no train driver deliberately 'ignores' red signals), is a common cause of crashes because it doesn't bring into question the railway administration or integrity of the signaling system. This could well be what happened because it does from time to time, but I'll wait and see what an official investigation reveals rather than initial comments by the railway management, politicians or journalists who shouldn't be speculating on causes before an investigation.

Politicians and journalists in particular shouldn't EVER make any comment on railway accidents, as they know nothing whatsoever of the subject.

Cheers,

Mark.

Reuters doesn't seem to have any news about the investigation yet, but there is an article (without any real helpful explanation or analysis) saying that train drivers in Wallonia are/were on strike in reaction to the crash.

It'll be interesting to hear if what Vincent heard about a signal power failure was true. Hard to believe there's no backup or automatic shutdown if the signalling system isn't working...

Anyway, all details aside--this is a horrible event.

Reuters who accounts for about 75% of my photojournalism work over the past ten years is state run (or so they self proclaim) and tend to be overly conservative when it comes down to speed of information vs accuracy compared to all the other wire services. They'll be the last horse to cross the line, as a matter as to not to disseminate inaccurate information early like the AP does.

...and that's great with me, especially with something like a crash analysis. I just thought their explanation of the reasons behind the driver strike could have been a bit more detailed for those of us who aren't familiar with Belgian public-sector unions. :-)

It'll be interesting to hear if what Vincent heard about a signal power failure was true. Hard to believe there's no backup or automatic shutdown if the signalling system isn't working...

It looks all pretty confuse right now. Everybody is shooting at everybody in Belgium. They are looking for the perfect scapegoat. We will have to wait to be sure of what happens.

For the moment, it appears that the SNCB failed to comply a certain justice ordnance issued in 2001 after a similar crash. SNCB should have then equiped it's train with an automatic brake feature by 2007 but some trains still aren't equiped.

QR has already produced a poster showing pictures of the crash telling train crews this is what happens when you pass a red signal.