Wiring Signals for DCC

Bernard

(This was an interesting question posed by Aplineaustralia. I just started a new thread so it wouldn't get lost for future references.)

"On a similar note, has anyone wired up a DCC signal? Kato has an automated signal crossing for DC (which is pricey as...) but it doesn't work on DCC."

Martijn Meerts

It really depends on how you control the rest of the layout. If you're using computer control for example, signals are really only cosmetic, they don't actually influence the running of trains. Generally I would actually recommend using computer control if you plan on having a layout with such details as signals, wiring would otherwise get out of hand fast =)

(not that DCC is necessarily wire-friendly, but at least it's understandable ;))

alpineaustralia

Isnt there simply a system that detects when a train is coming (eg infrared detection) and change lights, operate boom gates etc? I am only talking cosmetic operation here - not linking them up to the operation of switches

Martijn Meerts

Yeah, but that could be done without any DCC at all. A sensor in the track that triggers a relais to change lights or some motor or something to lower or raise boom gates should be quite doable. As long as there's no need to influence trains or track voltages etc. you shouldn't have to worry about whether or not you're running DCC.

(slightly off-topic) Now, I'm not saying that everyone should use computer control, but I have to say, computer control of a layout (even a smaller one) is real nice. For me it's a natural thing as I work with computers a lot, but for example my father initially didn't want computer control, but now that we installed it, he's really happy with it. Mostly because he can finally have much of his collection running at the same time, without having to worry about where each train is etc. Due to his age, he's not really able to keep track of multiple trains going around a layout ;)

I would love to see how you control your trains by computer. Is there a place I can look at a demo?

Martijn Meerts

There's a variety of programs that offer demo versions, most are limited to only allow 3 trains or only so many track symbols on the track plan or so many turnouts etc, but for testing purposes it works fine.

The more popular ones are Traincontroller (http://www.freiwald.com/pages/traincontroller.htm) which comes in both English and German, Railware (http://www.railware.de/) which comes in English and German as well I believe, but the page is German only, and Win-Digipet (http://www.windigipet.de/) which comes in English and German as well.

Of those, Railware is the most advanced, it's used by for example Miniatur Wunderland in Hamburg, which is the largest model train layout in the world (http://www.miniatur-wunderland.com/). It's also the most expensive of the 3. Traincontroller generally gets very good reviews for being both user friendly, and the easy ability to switch a locomotive between automatic and manual controls.

My father uses a program called Koploper, which is free but only available in Dutch. He has about 17-18 trains on the layout on any given time, about 7-8 of those can be moving at the same time. Trains are set up as express, freight, heavy freight, local, etc. They also have routes assigned to them, so certain train types can only get to certain tracks in the main station. Express trains have a 25% chance of stopping at the main station but will never stop at the smaller station, freight trains will always prefer a track not directly next to a platform, local trains will always stop at a station etc. They also have smooth acceleration and deceleration, and there's a small shadow station as well where some trains can be parked. I could put up a post at some point with screenshots from the program, and some explanation of the basics, although I'm no expert in setting up blocks and computer control, my father's layout was the first attempt for the both of us ;)

CaptOblivious

My father uses a program called Koploper, which is free but only available in Dutch. He has about 17-18 trains on the layout on any given time, about 7-8 of those can be moving at the same time. Trains are set up as express, freight, heavy freight, local, etc. They also have routes assigned to them, so certain train types can only get to certain tracks in the main station. Express trains have a 25% chance of stopping at the main station but will never stop at the smaller station, freight trains will always prefer a track not directly next to a platform, local trains will always stop at a station etc. They also have smooth acceleration and deceleration, and there's a small shadow station as well where some trains can be parked. I could put up a post at some point with screenshots from the program, and some explanation of the basics, although I'm no expert in setting up blocks and computer control, my father's layout was the first attempt for the both of us ;)

That sounds really awesome. Too bad it's not available in a language I speak. Do any of the other programs offer this sort of functionality?

Martijn Meerts

All the programs I mentioned support such functionality yes, some even much more advanced than what we did with my father's layout. The reason we went for Koploper was because it was free, and my father only really knows Dutch ;)

Railware for example controls over 1000 locomotives and several thousand turnouts over at Miniatur Wunderland.