Kato-Lemke 2010 high speed train sets line up

to2leo

Martijn Meerts

The European model train market is much smaller than the Japanese one, so European models get manufactured in lower quantities, which means they need to sell for more to turn a profit.

(That, and the European brands still think they make far superior products than other brands, and thus need to charge more .....)

I wonder if the Kato/Lemke TGV Thalys in the new livery will be the Thalys PBA? I am hoping so as I really want the second-gen TGV's to come out in N gauge.

No, is another one PBKA (is the old set with new livery)

if you want download....

http://www.eyro.ch/downloads/news10/kato_hobbytrain_2010.pdf

Maybe in the future (so we can buy PBA, Reseau, Atlantique, RD600...it's a dream  :grin  and finally La poste and IRIS320???)

ciao

Massimo

I see, thanks for the link. If Hobbytrain/Kato make the IRIS320, I will definitely add that unit to my collection :grin.

The price is getting up there yr over yr but it still costs less than when you buy them new in Japan. 

Pre-owned prices obviously will be at least $30-50 dollar cheaper but you have to take your chance as they are not common and are usually available as limited edition.

Still the price for the IC2000 set is at least 129.50 Euro cheaper than buying them individually.

Okay, the prices are out. 

H25201 ÖBB Railjet 4-tlg., Spirit of Vienna inkl. Taurus, Ep5/6

H25200 ÖBB Railjet 4-tlg., Spirit of Vienna, Ep5/6

Set offers: 294.11 EURO

Hmm, almost 300 EUR for a 8 car set. Not cheap, but compared to the price of Fleischmann, Roco and other manufacturer prices, it seems to be OK.

In my upmost honest opinion, I find the Hobbytrain/Lemke/Kato european range good value overall as I paid £171 in total for my Kato/Lemke RENFE AVE S-100 set which is a bargain compared to the Fleischmann sets which cost a lot more. Though having said that, you do get high quality models from the Kato range where the windows do not fall out of the power cars unlike what I can say for Hornby where their quality control leaves a lot to be desired. Also it is one of the reasons why I appreciate N gauge :grin.

I just picked up the 25106 when I was in Paris this summer.  A beautiful set....absolutely stunning.  Unfortunately, there's a problem.  For likely reasons of prototypical accuracy, Kato has really made the floors of these passenger cars low to the ground.  Its so bad that at the slightest bit of unaligned track (or, for that matter, the Unitrack road crossing/rerailer piece!) the bottoms of the cars 'catch' on the rails causing either uncoupling or derailment.  Annoying.  I read on YouTube that someone suggested inserting a piece of plastic above the bogies to give them a bit more elevation.  Seems like a smart idea to solve this problem.  Anyone here heard of this or any other solutions?

I just got mine too, though I was too late to get 25107 to complete the set.  Feeling like Eurostar Add-on set all over again.

Yes, the cars are very sensitive, unfortunately I am at the same predicament as you.  The closest I can find is a German forum though I have no idea what they have as a solution since I cannot read nor google translate to the point that is instructional.

I did attempt to request translation at Trainboard...

http://www.trainboard.com/grapevine/showthread.php?t=116355

I just got mine too, though I was too late to get 25107 to complete the set.  Feeling like Eurostar Add-on set all over again.

Oh no...I thought it wasn't released yet! Argh!

I did try the solution that I read on YouTube, and cut some small circles of styrene (really, small washers would probably do the trick), removed the bogies, fit these plastic 'washers' over the snap connector for the bogies, and then replaced the bogies (with the added styrene giving about 1 to 1.5mm of additional height) which seemed to stay on (just barely) but were elevated enough so that the cars stopped dragging on the slightest 'hump' in the track.  I'm feeling much better tonight after doing this trial.  :cheesy

Bummer about the 25107....I guess the cars, or at least the essential cab-control car, will be released separately at some point. The full set really looks great from the YouTube videos I've seen!

The individual cars from the 25107 set should be available back in March.  Unfortunately, they are delayed once again until November, according to my trusty online hobby store from Germany. 

As a general rule of thumb, the European Kato products are announced every Feb but you only have a small window of opportunity to pre-order them to guarantee the pre-order price and shipment.  I missed this because I was on vacation in Australia and HK.

The very popular IC2000 has been a long awaited model and Hobbytrain has decided to only do 500 sets of 25107 for reasons beyond me.  I hope the popularity of this set will lead to a re-release, though it might be wishful thinking.