"foundations" for tunnel portals?

It looks like most or all of the pre-made tunnel portals we have are too low for extended pantographs, by 1/3 to 1/2". Short of scrapping them entirely, the only thing I can think of is to build 1/2"-tall "foundations" for each side of the portal. Has anybody tried this?

I'm a bit concerned that this could look really odd--as if somebody had to come back and dig out low tunnels to fit bigger trains!

Coincidentally, I've been looking for prefab tunnel portals as well lately and also noted they are too low for catenary, thus didn't buy any. Therefore I'll make them myself. Probably from foam or a similar material. Gives also more satisfaction in the end. ;)

Don't give up yet.  I though of you yesterday when I saw the current issue of MR.  There is a photo of double stacks containers entering a double track tunnel portal at the beginning of part 3  of the Salt Lake Route.  Unfortunately, i don't know which portals they used or if they scratch built them.  That could probably be done easily with WS styrofoam.  It can be cut, sanded with a drywall sander and painted. WS 1/4" foam is easy to cut and work with and also is a good town foundation when colored with ashpalt Top Coat.

Thanks, Bill--we probably have something similar in the basement somewhere.

Once the snow clears out (July?), I'm planning to get some pipe to make "modern" portals at least for the "main" line.