DC Sound generators

Kabutoni

In the past I had a diesel engine sound module/kit that I could connect between my controller and the rails, which increased the revs when I increased the power. A very simple principle, but now I'm having a hard time to find such a module online for a reasonable price. The module I had was not very large, about 4 cm long and 1 cm broad. Not that it matters when you're not planning on installing it in a train, but still, it was not very large.

Anyways, I'm planning to hook this up and synchronise it with my ordered Tomytec controller and connecting it to a speaker system, as I'm running Diesel trains mainly. Is there any type of a cheap diesel engine sound generator available online? Preferred is of course the sound of a rough sounding 6-in-line engine for DMU.

These are some of the diesel sound generators I've found, but there are unfortunately no samples of the sounds they produce...

http://www.alwayshobbies.com/Store/Model-Boats/Sound-Generators/Robbe-Large-Diesel-Sound-Generator

http://www.talkingelectronics.com/AllKitsWithPics/AllKitsWithPics.html

Interesting, I also have been thinking about DC sound, but I had come across something completely different...

At my local hobby store they sell steam, diesel and steam+diesel sound boxes (the single type ones sell for $49 CAD, or about $45 US). However they are not the small hidden or standalone units like you have there. Instead they are maybe fist sized units like a small controller that connect to your power supplies AC output and to the track (with alternate wiring for DCC) and in addition to providing sound based on train speed (power going to rails), they have about a dozen buttons for bells, whistles, couplers and all the other things normally found in a DCC sound unit. My only issue with this arrangement is that I'm planning a layout that would have a seperate controller for yard and main line, so I'd have to decide which area received sound (or do something with two units at twice the price).

After a search over Google, I reminded myself of the electronics shop Conrad and found this module: http://www.conrad.de/ce/de/product/225223/Baustein-Dieselgeraeusch-Modul/1207090 It's a module where one can adjust the four potentiometers to ones liking. Very interesting indeed and quite cheap too (€17,95).

The potentiometers (according to the manual) control the following parts:

P1 = Rev-synchroniser (last one to adjust)

P2 = Idling sound (first to adjust)

P3 = Sound-colour (Damping)

P4 = Valve sound

You can make your own engine sound and thanks to the low price, even buy some more to have a different engine sound for each individual train. It's a nice thing to have when you only use diesel trains, but when driving electrics it's a whole different story. Expecially if you want the typical Keikyuu Siemens VVVF-'do-re-mi' sound.