Japanese HOe model collection

acousticco

acousticco

Howdy Folks,

I haven't been terribly active with my N scale Japanese modeling, but I have been working on a number of Japanese narrow gauge models in HOe (HOn30).  I've been buying a number of kits from Modelwagen, World Kougei, Yoshiya Kobayashi, and Aru Models.  The three attached pictures are all Aru kits, which consist of etched brass and white metal castings and are designed to fit on Kato's pocket chassis.  The Aru kits are definitely the easiest build of the manufacturers listed above, some of which have parts so tiny they get stuck under your fingernails..!

None of the models have been painted yet because I want to do some research on painting brass before I get started...

-Cody

post-9-13569921877162_thumb.jpg

post-9-13569921877562_thumb.jpg

post-9-13569921878013_thumb.jpg

• Like 1
acousticco

Also, I should have mentioned the green diesel in the second picture is a kitbashed Mack 15t centre cab from Jordan models that I powered with a Kato mechanism.  I think it looks good with the Aru diesel ;D

-Cody

Martijn Meerts

Looking good ;)

I don't think painting brass requires anything all too special, just make sure you prime them using a special metal primer first (Tamiya has a metal primer in a spray can, it's a clear coat, so pay attention where you spray, don't want to miss any parts.) After that you can use a regular white or grey primer and then either spray or brush on the actual colors.

Not sure the metal primer is even necessary, I've read a lot about people priming models with etched brass detail parts without metal priming the brass parts first.

acousticco

Here's what I've been working on for the past two days; a four wheel boxcar kit and a Kiso Forest Railway caboose, both from Modelwagen.  The boxcar is all etched brass that I soldered together, and the caboose is laser cut wood, which I don't think is too common with Japanese manufacturers but is very well done.

I'll keep this thread updated with my Japanese narrow gauge stuff, if you folks wanna see it...

-Cody

post-9-13569921878433_thumb.jpg

post-9-13569921878949_thumb.jpg

post-9-13569921879353_thumb.jpg

post-9-13569921879746_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Absolutely keep us updated on your progress! The last photos of you holding the train show the perspective of how small the model and all I can say is I would go blind. It really is very small. Nice work.

acousticco

Thanks Bernard,

I'll keep y'all posted! ;D

I've got part of the truck assembled for the caboose, and I've started my first Modellwagen diesel:

post-9-13569921880223_thumb.jpg

post-9-13569921880663_thumb.jpg

CaptOblivious

Those are really something else! How hard is it to put those together, exactly?

acousticco

Those are really something else! How hard is it to put those together, exactly?

I'd say they're up there as far as difficulty levels go, but I think that once you're comfortable with soldering, and if you're prepared to build a jig for almost every join, anyone could put one together.  The jigs I'm using are basically just bits of wood glued or clamped to a disposable work surface (I'm using a small 4x6" block of wood), that you can clamp the pieces to.  Luckily, all the Japanese kits I've assembled so far have had well illustrated instructions, so I haven't come across an instance where I couldn't figure out what to do next based on the photos or drawings, although I do think it would probably be much easier if I knew how to read Japanese...

-Cody

alpineaustralia

I am probably typical in that I travelled on shinkansen iand other trains in Japan and as a result obtained a keen interest in them.

How did you get into these little gems?

what width are the tracks, I assume biger than 9mm.

acousticco

I am probably typical in that I travelled on shinkansen iand other trains in Japan and as a result obtained a keen interest in them.

How did you get into these little gems?

what width are the tracks, I assume biger than 9mm.

I think I have the internet to thank for discovering the Kiso Forest Railway.  I am always on the lookout for interesting subjects and stumbled upon some Kiso models built by Haruhiko Suga (He's got lots of interesting stuff on his website: http://members.jcom.home.ne.jp/sugaharu/indexE.htm ), and it all spiraled out of control from there..!

The gauge is indeed 9mm, which is 30" in HO scale, which is actually accurate for the K.F.R.  The minute size is part of the appeal for me as I love watching tiny trains run through the landscape.

-Cody

Howdy Folks,

I haven't been around much, but I am still working on my HOe models.  I've got the caboose and a pair of logging disconnects close to being finished.  And I've attached a picture of an incredibly tiny German 7 ton diesel that I recently purchased, and while it's not a Japanese prototype, the model was made in Japan.  It runs beautifully for a model only 1.5 inches long.  And since Japan imported allot of industrial equipment before WW2, I can rationalize it being a Japanese engine... ;D

-Cody

post-9-13569921975844_thumb.jpg

post-9-13569921976205_thumb.jpg

post-9-13569921976717_thumb.jpg

post-9-13569921977211_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Greetings all,

I may have ditched my Japanese N scale collection but I'm definitely keeping my Japanese narrow gauge!  Here's my latest finished model; Ashio Copper Company No. 14 which I finished to resemble this one :

It was assemble from a World Kougei etched brass and white metal kit and runs reasonably well.  I just have to find a driver to stuff in the cab...

Regards,

Cody

post-9-13569924415302_thumb.jpg

post-9-13569924415647_thumb.jpg

• Like 1