The truth about Don's roster

CaptOblivious

CaptOblivious

Disturbman's edit: this conversation followed a comment from Scott posted in the "Avatar thread".

Those pages make me feel better about our, um, mixed roster.  :grin

I'm a little confused, but then, I'm not usually terribly aware of subtlety. Could you explain?

Sorry--I just meant that you seem to have a mixed selection of regions, rather than a really tight focus on one line or location. Nice to know that I'm not the only one doing that...

:grin That's not going to pleased our Captain, you obviously were oblivious to the fact that Don is collecting trains passing by Tokyo's Ueno station.

The word you're looking for is "clueless." "Oblivious" is also good, though. "Ignorant" comes to mind, with a dash of "stupid" and a healthy helping of "conspicuously and publicly incorrect." All of which, combined with a tendency to mouth off freely, means I have a serious case of foot-in-mouth disease.

Just a normal day for me. Sorry, Don. I'll try harder to avoid cluttering the forum with inane chatter.

CaptOblivious

Well, and a キハ110, which doesn't go anywhere near there. And some freight, which passes at its closest down the Joban Line north of Ueno. So it is a little mixed. But just a little ;D Everything on my wishlist can be seen at Nippori (I've shifted slightly from Ueno, to include Keisei stuff, but I still envision building a model of Ueno). Or Minamisenju (where the aforementioned yard is).

The word you're looking for is "clueless." "Oblivious" is also good, though. "Ignorant" comes to mind, with a dash of "stupid" and a healthy helping of "conspicuously and publicly incorrect."

Nope, "oblivious" was the right word. It was nicely refering to Don's nickname and making some kind of miror effect with "obviously".

All of which, combined with a tendency to mouth off freely, means I have a serious case of foot-in-mouth disease.

I'm pretty sure I don't want to see, or imagine, how a grown up man can put his foot in his mouth. That's some wicked yoga-powered-magic that might not be to my liking.

Just a normal day for me. Sorry, Don. I'll try harder to avoid cluttering the forum with inane chatter.

I love inane chatter, that was make the world such an interesting place.

And it was not so inane since we now know that Don was defeated by the demon and had to move up north, near a locationthat will allow him to collect more trains. Time to update the mental files.

By the way Don, you are a seriel station-modeler. First Akihabara, then Ueno, Nippori and maybe Minamisenju. Something is fishy here. :p

CaptOblivious

I am a serial modeler, aren't I? Here is what I imagine my dream layout would be like: A stretch of Tokyo from Akihabara Station north (skipping Kanda) to Ueno, Nippori, and Minamisenju+Sumidagawa freight yard.

I love this photo from member Kitayama; I've seen many photos of this grade crossing, and I feel inspired by it. The tracks overhead are Keisei:

http://bae.se/kitayama/photos/k_en_tokyo_15.htm

Anyway, this means that I have two pieces of rolling stock that don't fit into this theme: A Tomytec Meitetsu モ1030, that I bought just to have something suitably old-fashioned for Shogatsu (and there may be more to follow it), and my キハ110, which I bought just because it looks good. It does look good! And it was my second model and first DCC conversion, so I can't bring myself to part with it. I did part with an EF66 that I also bought because it looked good, but it didn't fit with my theme (now in Alpine's hands). I haven't seen any evidence that JRF uses EF65-1000's on any of the lines I'm modeling, and so I may end up selling that one too, to replace it with an EF64-1000 (common on Joban line).

So my roster isn't quite so mixed as maybe even I thought it might be.

So, that said: Any suggestions on what I need to be adding to my wishlist?

This discussion raises a question I have about the culture of Japanese rail modelers and how active the Legion of Prototypical Diligence (the LPD) is in this are of the hobby? 

This discussion raises a question I have about the culture of Japanese rail modelers and how active the Legion of Prototypical Diligence (the LPD) is in this are of the hobby? 

The Legion?!? Here?!?

[sound of receding feet]

I am a serial modeler, aren't I? Here is what I imagine my dream layout would be like: A stretch of Tokyo from Akihabara Station north (skipping Kanda) to Ueno, Nippori, and Minamisenju+Sumidagawa freight yard.

I love this photo from member Kitayama; I've seen many photos of this grade crossing, and I feel inspired by it. The tracks overhead are Keisei:

http://bae.se/kitayama/photos/k_en_tokyo_15.htm

Anyway, this means that I have two pieces of rolling stock that don't fit into this theme: A Tomytec Meitetsu モ1030, that I bought just to have something suitably old-fashioned for Shogatsu (and there may be more to follow it), and my キハ110, which I bought just because it looks good. It does look good! And it was my second model and first DCC conversion, so I can't bring myself to part with it. I did part with an EF66 that I also bought because it looked good, but it didn't fit with my theme (now in Alpine's hands). I haven't seen any evidence that JRF uses EF65-1000's on any of the lines I'm modeling, and so I may end up selling that one too, to replace it with an EF64-1000 (common on Joban line).

So my roster isn't quite so mixed as maybe even I thought it might be.

So, that said: Any suggestions on what I need to be adding to my wishlist?

Considering your dream layout I think these may appeal to you Don.

http://miraikoro.3.pro.tok2.com/study/mekarauroko/RailWay_01_Tokyo_cross01.htm

http://miraikoro.3.pro.tok2.com/study/mekarauroko/RailWay_02_Tokyo_cross02.htm

http://miraikoro.3.pro.tok2.com/study/mekarauroko/RailWay_04_Tokyo_cross04.htm

http://miraikoro.3.pro.tok2.com/study/mekarauroko/RailWay_05_Tokyo_cross05.htm

and the Ueno subway depot  :grin with that fabulous third=rail level crossing.

http://miraikoro.3.pro.tok2.com/study/mekarauroko/RailWay_07_Tokyo_cross07.htm

CaptOblivious

The Legion?!? Here?!?

[sound of receding feet]

I don't think that one makes a legion…

Oh, the LPD are active but they don't buy 9 mm gauge plastic trains by Kato, Tomix, MicroAce, Greenmax, B-Train Shorty or Tomytec.  They buy brass kits built to varying gauges and scales from World Craft or other craft suppliers, some of which are individual hobby shops. Check out the models reviewed in any Japanese model train magazine and you know what I am talking about. Its also quite possible the LPD are collectors rather than model railroaders.

I don't think that one makes a legion…

No, that was the sound of me running in fear.  :grin

(Just for the record, I don't think anybody here is a Legionnaire...)