Calatrava's Lyon Satolas TGV Station

disturbman

A quite good show about the Lyon's third TGV station, Satolas located on the LGV Méditérannée and in the perimeter of Lyon's airport. This station is actually not som much used but could see a rise in use in the futur. It'll be soon connected to lyon by an express tram line privately operated.

QUite interestingly, those video show cast both the "orange" TGV and ones in the new (for the time) SNCF livery.

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yH-Fda04ULA

Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhgxdVehxRA

Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P48myE6EYmA

• Like 1

He designed the main stadium at the Athens Olympics and some of the structures at the Barcelona games. His work is unbelievable!

He designed the main stadium at the Athens Olympics and some of the structures at the Barcelona games. His work is unbelievable!

in addiction the new medio padana high speed station (not yet built)

http://www.infobuild.it/mecgi/drv?tlHome&mod=modRProgettoSheet&IDMENU=6&MENU_INDEX=2&UID=45882

BTW the company that won the contract to build this station is the same company that built the cover structure of Athen stadium, her name is CIMOLAI Spa from Pordenone, my city.

if someone is curious...

http://www.cimolai.com/site_eng/index.php?option=com_wrapper&view=wrapper&Itemid=27

ciao

Massimo

And the new Liege main station, amazing building.

Heh--when we went through the old Liege station in 1992, it was pretty scabby, and there was a graffito visible from our car that said "USA Go Home."  :grin

That was a fascinating set of videos....now I really want one of these in N scale! Wouldn't it be cool to have a model of this?  This could make for a very cool module....

calatrava and gehry are the only two real artists out there doing anything in architecture. gehry goes organic and calatrava the mathematical. his wings entry pavilion at the Milwaukee art museum is probably one of the best pieces of architecture in NA. truly stunning and a perfect inside out design where it ends up creating a wonderment for art as you enter the building and get you into wanting to experience art. so little of that in art these days. so much is xerox of xeroxes, cold, and devoid of any art spirit. hopefully calatrava will keep going, he is still fairly young! hoping he gets into tent structures eventually as his mathematical approach using that medium could do some pretty cool things (as well as gehry doing something organic with that as well!). i see gehry as a sculptor more than an architect really.

cheers

jeff

As much as I love Gehry's work I really have the feeling his style is getting old. I grew tired of those waves and deconstructivism. Like if he couldn't renew his ideas. At the end, I think I prefer situationists like Nouvel or the more classic approach of Portzamparc.

Mudkip Orange

calatrava and gehry are the only two real artists out there doing anything in architecture.

What an annoying statement. Every major city has at least a few local architects who are doing AWESOME things, they're just usually houses/small office buildings/other structures you won't hear about on a national website.

did not mean to say that there are not a lot of folks out there doing great work. its just with the really bold pushing things out there into something with art to it the field is pretty dead. things from the likes of piano is doing are being hailed as big art, but are just cold boxes. if you look at design and art history we are in a real lull right now, especially in the us.

sorry, im very opinionated in this and this is probably not the place to have this discussion. happy to take it off line with anyone.

cheers

jeff

I never really cared much about architecture (past about the 8th century or so...), except for an interest in "green" architecture. My job's more about where *not* to build things, rather than how. (Even though planning schools are often contained in architecture schools, which is weird for us non-urban planners.) It's only recently, because of modelling, that I've had to pay attention to buildings more, so that I can build some stuff for our layout.

My only "favorite architect," Malcolm Wells, unfortunately passed away last year.

It's amazing how many of those young unhappy hipsters (urbanites who love buildings, one would think) have clearly built their masterpieces outside of towns--in farmland, woods, deserts, outer suburbs.

[/rambling]