Sankei - "Paper" Kits

Krackel Hopper

Lol! Yes have to be careful where you put it. I also use a marker Over the etched numbers as some are a bit hard to read. You can always just use the waste forms to figure out which is which just takes more time. Once I tried laying them all out once I cut all the parts out and just set them in the appropriate forms and pulled as needed. But usually I build them on my lap watching tv so not that much room and writing on them lightly with pencil was simpler.

they are addictive. 

jeff

Here's my first build of a Sankei kit [drugstore]. I made a few careless mistakes. Found it challenging to minimize use of glue.

Not ready to do interiors and lighting yet, some day perhaps.

I like these very much!

IMG_6306.jpg

IMG_6308.jpg

• Like 14
32 minutes ago, maihama eki said:

Looks great!  I like that little balcony on the back with the clothes out to dry.

Thanks, I really enjoyed the build and can recommend them. This one was at just the right level for my ability. Now I will push myself a little more.

2 minutes ago, cteno4 said:

Excellent job roger! Kudos!

Thanks for the encouraging thread, it was a big help! They are a kick!

Martijn Meerts
3 hours ago, Drunkenclam said:

Great job. Soon your be ready to tackle the 'Spirited Away' bath house. 

Don't get started on that.. Starting my IMON 9600 kit was easier than starting the bath house kit 😄

• Haha 1
maihama eki

Social Distancing is good for model train productivity...

Sankei MP04-39 "Bell Tower".  I plussed this one up with a plastic dimensional tile roof (Nanyo Busan), 3D printed Bonsho bell, and scratch-built bell striker.

DSC00280.thumb.JPG.32f5418454b6131f828bbdf2dab90cf1.JPG

I see in the photo that the rope is a little long and making the striker hang crooked because everything is so light weight. Only visible with this level of magnification.

I used the original stacked cardstock bell (right) to size the 3D printed bell (left).

3DPrintStockBonsho.thumb.jpg.07b607522a946b2b307c935b0655d899.jpg

• Like 11

Nice work! My first thought when I saw the picture was wow that tile is great! Cheat! Looks great!

ive been wondering when more upgrade 3D printed options would start coming out, almost seemed like a natch for sankei to do as well.

i wonder if tile roof and ridge caps are in the range of extrusion printers... one of our members has one, going to have to plant it in his head, sure there is a cad file floating around out there for it.

jeff

Thanks! I used the Tamiya Craft Bond glue and liked it very much. It acted more like a caulking in that the areas where I overapplied were easily removed and without staining or creating a permanent shine. I recommend it highly for this application. So far it is holding up well.

Tamiya Craft Bond @ HS

• Like 1

Roger Mc

Thanks for that info, next time I'm ordering something from Hob Sea, I'll put in an order for this stuff.

Bill,

Melbourne.

• Like 1

I’m starting my first Sankei kit and am trying to work out does the plastic go on the inside or between the 2 paper layers? 

Keith

FD59006F-7EB8-449C-9FCC-9BB6E289F9D1.jpeg

Tony Galiani
On 9/14/2019 at 3:46 AM, maihama eki said:

Second small summer project.

restroomcday.thumb.jpg.c7e70a2d14631ee8767c725294f3bcf6.jpg

restroomcnight.thumb.jpg.21f1c93564dd71fce93c045faf40156a.jpg

I just completed this kit.  I was impressed by these photos when I first saw them but now I am even more impressed.  This kit is seriously small and I cannot get over how wonderful this version looks.  Just as trying to play a challenging piece of music gives me an appreciation for the composers and players who make it look easy, working on this kit made me appreciate these pictures even more.

Cheers,

Tony Galiani

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
maihama eki

I finished another Sankei kit.  This is MP03-107, Good Old Diorama Series : House E.  I think I could live in this place, somewhere out in the distant Tokyo suburbs.  This is a nice little kit that goes together without much drama - typical for Sankei.

I wanted to light one room and leave the interior visible, so I added a little interior detail during construction.

DSC00304_sm.thumb.jpg.7fa3ad732b58e7575207329da1a1a315.jpg

Some added details to the outside courtesy of Kabuto Models, Kobaru, Nanyo Busan (tile roof), Tomytec (car), some of my own 3D prints, and some scratch building...

DSC00352_sm.thumb.jpg.f5101b84c02b2f0a76d72a0193bc141a.jpg

DSC00353_sm.thumb.jpg.e64b3bc575584c2284ca570cdc107c39.jpg

Night time photo.  Two small LEDs light the interior and a little front door light that that is a 3D print.

DSC00359_sm.thumb.jpg.9f0202fbdf8dc4ae9d5a4d1b8808bbd3.jpg

• Like 14

Looks very convincing !

7 minutes ago, maihama eki said:

I finished another Sankei kit.  This is MP03-107, Good Old Diorama Series : House E.  I think I could live in this place, somewhere out in the distant Tokyo suburbs.

Plenty of this kind of house much closer in. Check out the fire hazard map and pick any of the orange, red or dark red locations and you'll be sure to find densely-packed clusters of similar ;).

Also unless you like kerosene heaters and kotatsus, probably not so much fun in winter.

• Like 3

It's buildings built like this that make Japanese modelling so appealing to me. It's utterly nondescript, and utterly believable. The lighting is the perfect finishing touch. Thanks for posting this little gem! 👍

All the best,

Mark.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Tony Galiani

Wonderful work.  I think it would be great if you posted more information on the details you added and how you did the lighting.  I would like to try something like this but am not sure how.  I have gotten better results with my Sankei kits as I have gotten more experience with them but this really raises the bar!

Cheers,

Tony Galiani

• Like 2
maihama eki
10 hours ago, Tony Galiani said:

Wonderful work.  I think it would be great if you posted more information on the details you added and how you did the lighting.  I would like to try something like this but am not sure how.  I have gotten better results with my Sankei kits as I have gotten more experience with them but this really raises the bar!

Cheers,

Tony Galiani

Thanks.  I will see if I can add more construction photos and commentary to the next one I do.

• Like 4