New Tomix and Tomytec tram stuffs

CaptOblivious

well, its not clear when kato started on the portrams. there was a report that the portrams and unitram were something that took a couple of years for kato to bring to market. Sure that it was a bit of work for tomytec to do theirs as well, especially in keeping the price point low and functioning well. tomy has definitely been the big tram supporter for the last 3-4 years providing lots of shells in their railroad collections and their series of motorizing units for them. a big engine over the windows is the standard for all trams that have been done in the past by kato, tomix, and modemo, so its not a short cut really.

the kato portram with the micromotors in the trucks is something very new and a great technological step forward though! i could see that taking some time to bring to market.

since many trams in japan seem to be going low floor, i think both coming out with a portram like this was just inevitable. will be interesting to see where it goes from here!

cheers

jeff

I think Westfalen is right about the Portrams.  Kato has put more efforts into the Portram but Tomix clearlt jumped ahead with a static and big engine over window version.

Hobby Dreamer

Is the new Tomix track prototypical to Japan? The Kato track is surprisingly so and from the pic Bill posted above so is the Bandai track. I seem to recall that the original Tomix track covers had a pattern.

I'm happy I got the Kato track but really like the single track potential that Tomix offers; plus the tighter radii. No loops that are the same as everyone else for this guy!

No loops that are the same as everyone else for this guy!

There's always flex track and spackle...

It can be done but it will have to be a permanent layout and planned out what areas you what handmade.

post-22-13569923899714_thumb.jpg

post-22-13569923900023_thumb.jpg

Hobby Dreamer

That sounds like a breakfast cereal..  Now with 30% more spackle.. Seriously is spackle the same as drywall compound? This is not a bad idea at least to add turnouts or custom track configurations, until and "if" Kato/Tomix come out with these. I am thinking about a shelf layout for starters to have some "play" time and experimenting while planning a layout. Single track would do best for this.

I like the optic sensors Jeff has written about (for controlling the trams at stops) but would feel less timid to drill into spackle.

Another nice aspect of the new Tomix track is the potential for "S" curves. They help showcase the trams and are ideal for slight elevation changes in the track.

these are similar to the tomytec layout subscriptions you could buy in japan (ie have your layout on the installment plan!), just looks to be all in one! odd thing is its listed as sal shipping and i would bet all that stuff would be over the 2kg sal limit in one lump.

interesting note that kato has talked about doing some sort of unitram track set for modeling a salt lake city tram layout that will be featured in model railroader this year! rumored at $700, wonder what it will include!

cheers

jeff

interesting note that kato has talked about doing some sort of unitram track set for modeling a salt lake city tram layout that will be featured in model railroader this year! rumored at $700, wonder what it will include!

It's the Salt Lake Route, a serial Union Pacific Railroad layout construction article in Model Railroader, not a tram layout!!!!!

http://www.trains.com/mrr/default.aspx?c=a&id=3614

http://www.trains.com/mrr/default.aspx?c=a&id=3738

That sounds like a breakfast cereal..  Now with 30% more spackle.. Seriously is spackle the same as drywall compound? This is not a bad idea at least to add turnouts or custom track configurations, until and "if" Kato/Tomix come out with these. I am thinking about a shelf layout for starters to have some "play" time and experimenting while planning a layout. Single track would do best for this.

I like the optic sensors Jeff has written about (for controlling the trams at stops) but would feel less timid to drill into spackle.

Another nice aspect of the new Tomix track is the potential for "S" curves. They help showcase the trams and are ideal for slight elevation changes in the track.

Don't drill into the Spackle, here is what I would do and it should work with auto-stop unit Jeff has.

You need to use "lightweight Spackle" because it will be easier to make grooves in the rails once it sets.

http://www.homedepot.com/Paint-Tools-Supplies-Patching-Repair-Spackling-Paste/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xgkZaqsx/R-100094504/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

What I would do is after you lay down your train, drill holes where you want the sensors to go and fit them in. Remove the sensor and place a straw or plastic tube in the hole so that you don't cover it up and start Spackling. Once the Spackle sets, paint the spackle the desired color you want (black or gray) then remove the tube and insert the sensor. If the Spackle cracks, you can always re-spackle the crack.

DOH! my mistake, i misread a post on another list! i thought it was odd to be announcing that and didnt think salt lake had a tram anyway!

cheers,

jeff

Mudkip Orange

It can be done but it will have to be a permanent layout and planned out what areas you what handmade.

This is the frigging future, right here.