New Tomix and Tomytec tram stuffs

CaptOblivious

I gotta be honest, I was so looking forward to the Tomix tram tracks but they look too toy like without patterns?  If Kato and Tomix come out with similar prices for their track series, you know which one I would pick.  Having that said, Tomix will probably come out with turnouts and intersection crossover first.

Moreover, why are the tracks so far apart?

post-60-13569923897013_thumb.jpg

post-60-13569923897766_thumb.jpg

CaptOblivious

Yah, not so impressed. It's just like the old Tomix tramways, only all one piece, instead of a kit. I don't know why they insisted on maintaining the 37mm track spacing. It just looks ridiculous to me. But I suppose that also makes it easier to integrate into existing FineTrack plans.

More over, why are they so far apart?

My guess it's 37mm apart, to match their regular track spacing. Kato pulled a neat trick by having tram curves which just happened to expand to their standard tracking spacing, but which shrunk back to "tram" spacing for the straights (The 25mm used for tram spacing also happens to match the absolute minimum distance two pieces of unitrack can be apart, due to the ballast size, so you can link Unitrack to the straights, they'll just be squished in).

One thing to notice from the pictures is like their double track, Tomix has opted to create modular sections, instead of fusing the tracks together permanently. This means it would be possible to create single tram track lines (if it comes in a set similar to Kato's you could split it up to create a point-point line twice as long), and if Tomix releases other curve radii, it would be possible to make tram layouts with more then 2 tracks running side by side.

Yes the 37mm spacing for the trams is tough, really makes for a very wide scene and hard to fit into a smaller street scene. you have to model very large boulevards and makes for big intersections as well.

it is smart they come apart to single track!

i agree kato was smart going between the 25 and 33mm spacings, makes for some interesting combinations that can be done! wonder if its going to end up adding a second japanese ttrak length standard in an increment of 124mm...

cheers

jeff

Hobby Dreamer

Always happy to see new product.

First, the new trams. Trams sales projections must be doing well for more variations to be made. Look for more track and tram availability in the future. We all win..

The new Tomix track is significantly better than their first offering. This looks like a rushed out product to minimize market share damage that Kato will steal. As soon as both Kato and Tomix track are displayed at a train show Tomix will either up the ball or produce special variants such as single track or tight radii. Tomix track spacing had me looking into HO, but one need only to look at photos of Tomix tram track versus Unitram track to see a huge difference.

Honestly cannot seeing anyone choosing the new (or old) Tomix track over the Unitram, except for a few configurations within the Tomix track (sans coverings). The ability to use the new Tomix track as a single track will not go unnoticed by hobbyists or Kato so look for competing product from Kato.

There is one use this Tomix track has right now and that is for either a port or cargo yard, although I don't know if the prototype Japanese ones look like most around the world.

Finally, be interesting to know the height of this new track and whether they are Kato compatible!

Kudos to Tomix for responding to Kato!

Mudkip Orange

The thing about the 37mm spacing on Tomix mini-rail is it lets guys like 103140177 run 20m EMUs on the "tram" track. You can't do that with Kato.

I don't like this new Tomix track, I think I will stay at the Unitram, but I can understand those who will buy these as they can easily upgrade the Tomix based tram network. We are missing the straight and curve packs from Kato.

Moreover, why are the tracks so far apart?

Yah, not so impressed. It's just like the old Tomix tramways, only all one piece, instead of a kit. I don't know why they insisted on maintaining the 37mm track spacing. It just looks ridiculous to me. But I suppose that also makes it easier to integrate into existing FineTrack plans.

We looked that Tomix tram sets on the Yahoo Tomix group and came to conclusion that they are based on Nagasaki Electric Tramways main line.

800px-Nagasaki_Trolley_M5199.jpg

The blocks, lights, and spacing seem right.  There are also a few stop platforms like the original Tomix set.

Nagasaki_Electric_Tramway_station_47_Shimin_byoin-mae.png

Photos source: Wikipedia

I gotta be honest, I was so looking forward to the Tomix tram tracks but they look too toy like without patterns?  If Kato and Tomix come out with similar prices for their track series, you know which one I would pick.  Having that said, Tomix will probably come out with turnouts and intersection crossover first.

I won't hold my breath for crossovers.  There are only four crossovers on Japanese tram systems. One on the Hankai Tramway, on the Tosa Electric Railway and two on the Iyo Railway (Iyotetsu).  That's with 14 tram systems. Crossovers are very much a foreign concept in Japan and these items are strictly intended for the Japanese market.

Mudkip Orange

two on the Iyo Railway (Iyotetsu).

Are you including the one near Komachi? Because I always thought that looked less like a crossover and more like trams and trains briefly operating over the same set of tracks.

two on the Iyo Railway (Iyotetsu).

Are you including the one near Komachi? Because I always thought that looked less like a crossover and more like trams and trains briefly operating over the same set of tracks.

That's right. And really its covered by existing track, so there are really only 3 tram crossovers.

Iyotetsu_Komachi_Sta_inside2.jpg

A little further down the line, there is a 90 degree crossing with the streetcar lines.

Iyotetsu_Cross20060501A.jpg

Iyotetsu_Cross20060501D.jpg

The largest crossover is the one on the Tosaden, and I think that wouldn't satisfy many traction fans looking for special work. You can pretty much build this with existing Tomix pieces. The biggest problem is the lack of short curves for the 90 degree turns.

714px-Tosa-den_Harimayabashi_station_track_map.svg.png

This would be a more typical Japanese tram junction.  Nagasaki has at least two of these junctions. Hiroshima at least five, Hakodate has one and this is in Matsuyama.  Most of these Japanese junctions are not quite 90 degree turnouts, so the one in Matsuyama is unusual.

800px-%E4%BC%8A%E4%BA%88%E9%89%84%E5%8D%97%E5%A0%80%E7%AB%AF%E3%83%87%E3%83%AB%E3%82%BF%E7%B7%9A.jpg

Extra straight sections from Kato would do me for a start before we go talking about junctions and diamond crossings.

More photos have appeared of the new Tomix sections including the underside.

10012314.jpg

http://blog.joshinweb.jp/.shared/image.html?/photos/uncategorized/2010/01/23/10012314.jpg

http://blog.joshinweb.jp/.shared/image.html?/photos/uncategorized/2010/01/23/10012313.jpg

http://blog.joshinweb.jp/.shared/image.html?/photos/uncategorized/2010/01/23/10012312.jpg

http://blog.joshinweb.jp/joshintrain/2010/01/2-33fe.html

It appears to use the new under track DC feeder and should match up very well with Wide PC Rail to create right-of-way and paved track.  There don't appear to be any switches or crossovers at this point which probably means more to come later. The dealers are already pointing out the higher degree of compatibilty of Tomix's tram track vs Unitrack. Kato may have awoken a sleeping giant!! Not a good idea for family business known for sticking to the plan no matter what the market reaction.

CaptOblivious

The underside is VERY revealing.

First; Notice that, as with the new Wide Rail, the side bits can be cut off.

Notice too how the tracks clip together, and that with the side bits cut off, they tracks can still be clipped together.

Which means you have a lot of control over the track spacing: 37mm, 27.55mm or 18mm track spacings are possible! Along straight sections, anyway. There would need to be new radii curve pieces for these alternate spacings to work along curved sections. Also, you need the 605r10º curves to shift track centers from 37mm to 18mm, and there are no curves that will narrow 37mm to 27.5mm. But you get the point :D

As I suspected in my earlier post, by making the individual tracks modular pieces instead of fusing them 2 by 2, Tomix has kept open the door for a variable number of side by side tracks as long as appropriate curves exist. In one of the pictures above we see 3 different curves joined to create 3 side-by-side tram lines, something not currently possible with Unitram.

When you blow the photo up you see the item number is 1790.  The upside down track is a S70 section which is not currently available.  I believe this is separate product from the Tomix 3079 Tram Track set that is being released sooner and the 3079 is a compliment to the Tomix 3076 tram track set.

Tomix 3079 product sheet.

http://www.tomytec.co.jp/tomix/products/n/3079.htm

Hobby Dreamer

Thanks Bill for your great research!

Single tram track is more than welcomed! And this new track, though not nearly as nice as Kato's, is miles ahead of their old cover track.

Was Kato first to come out with the Portrams? Did Tomix catch wind and put theirs out to compete, or was it in their plans to make trams anyway?

Now, which company will start with turnouts and crossovers? (Even if not prototypical for Japan, these make sense for model trams because not every layout can be the same oval..)

Every day is like Christmas here at JNS.

Was Kato first to come out with the Portrams? Did Tomix catch wind and put theirs out to compete, or was it in their plans to make trams anyway?

Tomytec came out with Portrams first.  Kato didn't appear until December.

Tomytec came out with Portrams first.  Kato didn't appear until December.

Yes the Tomytec was released first, but was the Kato tram under development first and Tomix found out and rushed one out first?

I think Westfalen is right about the Portrams.  Kato has put more efforts into the Portram but Tomix clearlt jumped ahead with a static and big engine over window version.

Yes the Tomytec was released first, but was the Kato tram under development first and Tomix found out and rushed one out first?

The Tomytec was announced over an year before it appeared on the market.  It apparently was delayed by problems with the drive which I posted on this board April 29, 2009.

http://www.jnsforum.com/index.php/topic,990.msg7871.html#msg7871

I posted the news of an articulated N scale Tomytec streetcar in a Yahoo group January 16, 2009.

JTMN Blog had the Tomytec cars in April 2009.

http://jmtn.wordpress.com/2009/04/18/preview-of-new-tomytec-items/#more-836

Kato didn't come along with an announcement until JAM in August.