2010 National N Scale Convention - Houston

qwertyaardvark

qwertyaardvark

Upon an announcement of a European summer meet up, I was curious to see how many of us in the US go around the country for rail fan conventions and is planning to go the N scale convention in Houston on June 22-26. I personally am planning to go to it as a educational experience to see how the rest of America does their railroading as well as great way for me to spend a full week railfanning! If there is anyone going to this convention (and i realize forum members in the South are few and far between), I wouldn't mind meeting up with y'all. :grin

If not a meeting in Houston, I wonder how feasible a meeting elsewhere in the US might be...? I figure such a meeting would be unlikely considering how expansive our country is, but I would be amused by a meeting of US, European, Australian, etc groups via tele/video conferencing one fine summer's day :P

Mudkip Orange

Wow, that's some serious cash for the convention and events. At 75 bucks a head I doubt I'll be in attendance.

But I can certainly make it to a JNS meetup outside the convention. We could push a bunch of tables together at Ninfa's and set up a giant Kato layout. It's all fun and games until someone spills queso sauce on the Dr. Yellow!

qwertyaardvark

Yeah, I did see those prices and did cringe a bit... The cost for the traveling to layouts and site visits i can kinda understand with Houston's spread-out-ness and the necessity of private transportation, but 75$ just for the hotel convention did seem a bit steep. I figure I'll try this out at least once since its in the city that I live in. :happy4: On the bright side, if you just wanted to purchase train/building stuff at the convention, the dealers room is open to the public on Saturday. My hope is to score mainly buildings and layout accessories and perhaps some Japanese rolling stock if it surfaces...  :grin

A JNS meetup outside the convention is certainly doable~ Man I haven't been to a Ninfa's in a long while, but sounds like a great place to meet ^_^

qwertyaardvark

Work on a weekend? ;_; The NMRA one looks pretty interesting... :)  Taking a quick look at registration prices there , I'm catching on to the pattern that railroad conventions aren't as cheap as I thought they would be. Not sure where I'd be in July, but WI sure is long ways off from TX.

I cannot complain b/c I am off Mondays when everyone is at work.

Attending train shows are not cheap!  However, if you are able to find hobby shops that are asking for temp. help and pay you in trains, you will be able to get in for free!

:cool: