The Introduction Thread...

Darren Jeffries

Hey Nick welcome to the forums and the JRM. I'm Aaron. I guess being in Florida we're going to miss ya at the GTS in at the fairgrounds coming up. A few of our other members are on here, but aren't really active.

Yes, I will missed it this time but hopefully next time I get to participate. That will give me time to gain some knowledge about Japanese trains. Although I feel like an old veteran in modeling railroad, this is a whole new field for me which makes it very enjoyable and interested. Jeffery Reynolds is the one that lit the fire for me to check it out. I've been enjoying it a lot so far. Just doing some more homework to see how things are being done. Most likely I will be putting in order to Hobby Search in Japan in the very near future.

:D

Yes, I will missed it this time but hopefully next time I get to participate. That will give me time to gain some knowledge about Japanese trains. Although I feel like an old veteran in modeling railroad, this is a whole new field for me which makes it very enjoyable and interested. Jeffery Reynolds is the one that lit the fire for me to check it out. I've been enjoying it a lot so far. Just doing some more homework to see how things are being done. Most likely I will be putting in order to Hobby Search in Japan in the very near future.

:D

I'm in the same boat. Years of American HO, trying to do N-scale Japanese, it's a little bit of a curve to it. I decided to get in to this about three years ago, but it wasn't until May that I actually started working on it. Jeff's been pretty good trying to keep the new members from getting frustrated with the some of the more unique inherit difficulties with this genre. He's pretty charismatic that way. Specifically having to order directly from japan. I've been pretty partial toward HobbySearch.

Hi I am Rick in Honolulu, Hawaii and I am not a railroad modeler perse although I do have some very old N guage which I acquired in my teens when I used to travel to japan.  I am primarily a modeler in 72nd scale, but enjoy building dioramas.  Currently working on a 144 th diorama of a B24 in the Pacific in WW2.  Just went over to Tokyo in July and October 2008 to visit my son who was working there.  In July made a point to catch the Arakawa line from Minowa to Waseda.  In October caught the Enoden in Kamakura.  Also in October went to the inaka to visit my wife's family so caught the Shinkansen to Kyoto and Kuroshio to Koza.  Also was able to criss cross Tokyo on the subways and the Yamanote to visit hobby shops.  Looking forward to getting ideas from all of you.  I am currently acquiring a full set of 1/60th japanese shops for a diorama, as well as figures, set somewhere in early Meiji era.  In any event thanks for the opportunity to acquire knowledge.

Hi Rick,

Welcome to the JNS Forum. I would love to see photos of the diorama that you're working on if you don't mind. Hope you have a great time here.

Hi Bernard, will do I have accumulated I guess is the best word for it some silver B24's in 144 from I believe FToys Big Bird collection, and have redecalled them using 72nd scale decals shrunkl down on my computer and printed on decal sheets.  It was difficult to get the size right and although it looks Ok my "Dragon and His Tail" decla was slightly oversize for the model.  In any event I have got a set of Preiser USAAF personnel and some 144 2.5T softskins from Hobbylink made by Prohobby.  When last in LA I went to a train shop in West Los Angeles which used to be huge but now is a shadow of its former self, but they did have several sets of an asian produced palm tree product which made that part easier.  Next job is to coat a display case base with acrylic gel with texture.  If I get my act together I'll take pics of all the pieces and describe my progress.  BTW just gor a note from Hobbylink that my 1/60th scale meiji era buildings have shipped.  Awaiting word from perry Miniatures in the UK on the villagers and townspeople which I have on order.

Hi, My name is Jerry Reyes, 36, from San Antonio.Tx.  I've been into N scale for about 13 yrs mostly American Prototype but the Japanese bug bit when I was searching the web for for n-scale. I have a 300 series and E1-Max Shinkansen, and hope to soon get into some other electrics, also building a new layout and getting into DCC. Thanks for accepting me into this group.

alpineaustralia

Welcome aboard Jerry and Rick.

Jerry, I also love the series 300 and the series E1 (two of my absolute favourites) - although my 300 is sitting in peices on my desk as I try to find out why it does not work- see my winge blog about Tomix.

However, unlike you, I am started in Japanese N scale and recently I have started to buy some American deiel and electric deisel prototypes. I have also just installed an MRC plug'n play sound decoder in a Kato SD70Mac and i must admit it makes the trains a little more fun.

I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on this.

hey guys, so my name is TJ Yumoto, call me TJ, I currently live in NY in America, I am Japanese, and love to take pictures of Japanese trains, especially JR, and am looking into modeling these trains in N-Scale. I am still 18 years of age and going to college, therefore it's pretty much impossible for me to start, but i'm looking into it, so i can start in the offseasons and in the near future

Hi Tj,

Welcome to the JNS Forum. Are you living permanently in NY and if so, do you often return to Japan? I work in NYC and if you're going to school here, there are some nice train stores to visit.

hey guys, so my name is TJ Yumoto, call me TJ, I currently live in NY in America, I am Japanese, and love to take pictures of Japanese trains, especially JR, and am looking into modeling these trains in N-Scale. I am still 18 years of age and going to college, therefore it's pretty much impossible for me to start, but i'm looking into it, so i can start in the offseasons and in the near future

Welcome TJ.  The solution may be to start slowly, start a collection and add pieces of track or equipement as you can.  There are some very interesting small layouts.  It doesn't have to be big.

Martijn Meerts

Or start like me, just buy all the models you like (which in my case are a LOT), and never actually get to drive them due to lack of space =)

Hi Everyone

I'm Chris and live in Sydney/Aus.

Looking forward to lurking around here and learning some things about Japanese Railway modeling.

I collect N Scale Shinkansens and model NSWGR ( Australian ) railways in HO.

I also collect 1:400 scale airline models,1:72 military aircraft, Nissan Skylines and scratchbuilt the odd ship etc.

I find that there is a little JR stuff floating around here in Sydney but I bought most of my stuff in japan just recently.

I'm still trying to find a 300 series Shinkansen by Tomix but its very hard to locate!!!!

Thats my story! ::)

Martijn Meerts

Hi Everyone

I'm Chris and live in Sydney/Aus.

Looking forward to lurking around here and learning some things about Japanese Railway modeling.

I collect N Scale Shinkansens and model NSWGR ( Australian ) railways in HO.

I also collect 1:400 scale airline models,1:72 military aircraft, Nissan Skylines and scratchbuilt the odd ship etc.

I find that there is a little JR stuff floating around here in Sydney but I bought most of my stuff in japan just recently.

I'm still trying to find a 300 series Shinkansen by Tomix but its very hard to locate!!!!

Thats my story! ::)

I'm looking for that very same train. The base set is possible to find, but not the entire 16-part train. However, I'm hopeful Tomix will do a re-run in not too long, it's been a while since they did a production run of the 300 series.

Yeah - this is the one missing most from my small collection. They are still pretty prolific over there at the moment and run regulary on the main Tokyo-Osaka line so it confuses me why they would not still have this on their production schedule.

i'd be happy with the starter set but still finding one of those is hard - that is fairly reasonable to find and not going to cost me a small fortune..... :(

Here's a pic i took last week .....

post-130-13569922185453_thumb.jpg

alpineaustralia

Hey Chris

Welcome aboard.

We have a couple of Aussies and, in particular, Sydney-siders here now.

I am hoping that we can get together and buy stuff in bulk to save on freight costs etc.

Where abouts in Sydney are you ?

I am in Sans Souci and work in Sydney.

What do you have by way of Shinkansen

Thanks ...

i'm located in Greystanes - i lived in Sans Souci for 4 years but now reside 'out west'. i work at the airport.

So far my Shinkansen fleet is modest - what I have :

kato N500 4 car

kato E4 4 car

Tmx 700 7 car

Tmx 100 "blue" 4 car

Tmx 100 " Green & White " 7 car

JR700 railstar 3 car

plus

Kato sonic 885 6 car

kato Eurostar

+ some other bits and pieces

Yeah there are a few things on my shopping list - those being an "O" set, a few add on sets  plus an N700 and 300 series for now!

Chris - Welcome to the forum and that is a nice roster you have there and good luck getting the 300 series! Right now I think a good part of the forum is Aussies (great bunch of guys) so you should feel quite at home here.

Good to see the Aussies out in force....

Another member from Sydney - good on yer! Welcome aboard, Chris.

Cheers,

Mark.

alpineaustralia

Chris  - I went the other way (ie from Mt Druitt to Brighton Le sands to Sans Souci.)

Does Berg's Hobbies in Parramatta have any n gauge?

So how many of us from Sydney?

Me, Mark, Chris - anyone else?

Bernard - yes there are a few Aussies. Surprising really given the weakness of our dollar, the difficulty in getting trains here (as opposed to say the US and Europe) and the stronghold (albeit that is is changing) that HO has on Australian train scene.

Nah - bergs mostly cater for HO . I asked them if they can get some in and they mentioned they have a distributor in Melbourne but that they have not ordered anything for a while due to the lack of interest from local collectors. Saying that though, Toms in West Ryde has a few JR N scale sets in there and they order twice a year and stock some ok stuff. I picked up my Railstar Shinkansen from there a week ago.

From my understanding, there are not to many retail N scale places in Sydney....or can someone tell me more!!!! ;D

weljmf - You are our 100th member. By you going the forum we have hit a milestone. Please tell us something about yourself and what got you interested in the Japanese model RR and welcome to the forum.