The Introduction Thread...

Darren Jeffries

1 hour ago, serotta1972 said:

Looking forward to seeing your thread. Your mug shot, not so much. 😁

Well, you get a photo of my Akita inu insted 🙂 Sadly no longer with me but 16 years was a good innings. 

• Like 1

Welcome Tom, glad you found us!

looking forward to your new layout! Keep us posted.

just use any graphic program to drop the pixel dimension down on your images to like 1000 pixels along the large edge and save as a jpeg file and it will greatly reduce the file size. Also on iOS you can change the image size to small or medium as you select your photos.

The forum keeps on growing here and if we have all the picture at 10mb it will just keep growing our server storage costs over the years, so why we ask for smaller file sizes. 

wow 16 years for an Akita! Was it one of the full sized ones? They are great dogs.

jeff

• Like 1
1 hour ago, cteno4 said:

wow 16 years for an Akita! Was it one of the full sized ones? They are great dogs.

She was a Japanese import. They are a bit smaller and lighter than US Akitas but still only do forteen years normally.  She was amazing to live with, so quiet and respectful. Great dogs.

I really don't know anything about computers and programs !! So what I will do is to take photos from far away and then zoom them on the computer (I know how to do that bit !!!) to reduce the pixel size. Thanks for your help though 👍

• Like 1
Martijn Meerts
On 1/28/2021 at 2:17 PM, Tom C said:

Hello all, 

My name's Tom, I live in France but have an British/German background and normally scratch build N scale Canadian Pacific steam locos. But, for a long time I have harboured a dream to build a small Japanese mountain layout. The time has come to realise the dream 🙂 I will start a build tread shortly. I think I will have to learn how to resize my photos first as they are probably too big to upload here ? I already tried to add a 'mug shot' here and failed. That probably saved you all a horror show 😂 

Any advice on resizing photos would be most welcome.

I would like to express my thanks to the good folk running this site and to the great posts you are all contibuting 10/10 to all of you. 

Thank you

Tom

Hi!

I've increased the maximum file size for uploads, so you should be able to upload bigger files now (I hope anyway :))

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, Martijn Meerts said:

I've increased the maximum file size for uploads, so you should be able to upload bigger files now

Thank you so much 🙂 

• Thanks 1

Greetings from northern California,

Although I have followed these fora for a few years now and made a few modest posts, I held off on doing an introduction since I did not have a layout or any practical experience with modeling. With the delivery of some Peco code 55 track, a few sample turnouts, and a Roco Z21 system, I am finally ready to begin...albeit slowly so I can get the basics down.

My interest in Japanese trains started in 2015 when I stayed in Nagoya for 3 months. I returned to Nagoya in 2016, 2017, and 2018 with ever increasing interest in trains (just had to walk 3 steps outside the apartment and I had a great view of Nagoya station from the north). I've been accumulating information about trains and modeling since then, preparing for now.

Not surprisingly, my modeling interest is JR passenger and freight in the Nagoya / Aichi area for 2015-18. And what a wonderfully diverse ecosystem to explore! There are Shinkansen, Limited express trains, standard passenger trains, the M250 Super Rail Cargo train, Koki container trains, Taki oil tanker trains, Hoki 1100 hopper trains for calcium carbonate and fly ash, and Hoki 9700 limestone trains. Once the Tomix Koki 105s are re-released, I can model the Toyota Longpass Express too. 

Recent posts about module design, general DCC, LCC, and others are greatly appreciated. In particular, Gavin's posts about block detection and automation test/practice layout are very timely as I need to learn the same things - I'm about six months behind or so. 

Looking forward to the many years of fun and frustration that any good hobby provides. And I'll probably need to buy a bunch of new tools. Oh darn.

Paul

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Hi Paul, welcome to the forum, or rather thanks for the introduction!  I lived in Nagoya too, in 2004.  I regret not riding more Meitetsu lines.

Edited by miyakoji

Welcome to the forum, Paul.  Good to see another person from California and northern at that.  I'm in San Francisco and a few other members are down the peninsula of which one is named Paul as well and his forum name is Railtunes.  Before the lockdown, a couple of us used to go to Crocket to the Bay Area NTrak Club to run trains.

• Like 1

Hey welcome Paul, glad you found us!

UC Davis grad here! Many moons ago when downtown was like 3 square blocks. Not as sleepy now! Greatly enjoyed my time there and still get back for visits with friends that have not strayed far (winters and dixon) now and then.

Look forward to seeing your projects!

cheers

jeff

• Like 1

I am also a UC Davis grad (84). Lots of good memories. Movies in Chem 194, Grad burgers, thousands of bicycles dashing madly as people go from one class to another. Some things have changed in 35+ years but some haven't.

If it's alright, I will make posts about things I learn about the Roco Z21, DCC, 3D printing, and other aspects of model railroading in the hope that it will benefit others. I am 'Starting From Zero' so some of these things may be obvious to everyone but me - but who knows? And when I draw the wrong conclusions, you all can help set me straight. 

Paul

• Like 4
21 minutes ago, pbunter said:

If it's alright, I will make posts about things I learn about the Roco Z21, DCC, 3D printing, and other aspects of model railroading in the hope that it will benefit others. I am 'Starting From Zero' so some of these things may be obvious to everyone but me - but who knows? And when I draw the wrong conclusions, you all can help set me straight. 

Paul

This sounds perfect. There are lots of us in the same situation as you. I'm thrilled you got some benefit from the automation thread. I'm also starting to get interested in 3D printing and look forward to learning from your threads. There are some very experienced and helpful people here, but most of us are enthusiastic beginners, learning from each other as we go.

Welcome 🙂

• Like 1
2 hours ago, pbunter said:

I am also a UC Davis grad (84). Lots of good memories. Movies in Chem 194, Grad burgers, thousands of bicycles dashing madly as people go from one class to another. Some things have changed in 35+ years but some haven't.

OMG, I was 83! I was biochem/genetics. Yes many movies in chem hall. Lived at Briggs hall, the coffee house, and puta creek between classes. we probably passed many times. 

Nothing like traffic circles with bikes 6-8 deep! Loved the old comic of the freshman skeleton and bike in the middle of the circle, never making it out of the traffic circle.

back visiting campus doesn’t seem a lot changed (but no more funky coffee house), but downtown and surrounding city have grown! 

go aggies! Hey where else get a bs in the college of ag!

cheers

jeff

Hi All,

Been lurking here for a while before registering 🙂 now bought my first n scale hoping to get back in Hobby again after these years 

160224663_466487187726131_1290794919590025676_n.jpg

• Like 10
serotta1972

Welcome back to the hobby and to the forum. You’re already ahead of someone of us with your setup. Enjoy!

• Like 1

Welcome Englehart! 

glad you signed up and are back in the hobby! You have started that first step off the edge and down the slippery slope. Like your meandering loop to start off with.

cheers,

jeff

• Like 2
The Birmingham train spotter

I'm a Bit late to an Introduction but I might as well make one!

hello Everyone my name is Michael or some know me as Mike.I've been in The Model Railway/Railroad Hobby for 3 years now.I Own 11 OO Gauge British Locomotives and Plenty of Rolling stock.My interests in Japanese Railways and N Gauge Trains was Watching Japanese train spotting videos on YT.My Knowledge on Japanese trains in low but I know Some JRF Locomotives.I have Autism and ADHD but I'm willing to learn about Japanese trains and N Gauge Products!. I currently do not own any N Gauge Japanese but by 2022 I should have some!

• Like 4

Welcome, Michael!!! I had British and some Irish OO gauge as a kid. Feel free to start a thread about your OO gauge stuff in the appropriate forum here. I'd love to see some of that stuff to bring back a few memories.

• Like 1
The Birmingham train spotter

I have some old Triang stuff and Bachmann stuff if you want I'll post pics

• Like 1