The Introduction Thread...

Darren Jeffries

Hi all,

just caught the Japanese bug. For some years I’ve been collecting UK outline (BR era) waiting until I had time to do something with it. On a whim I took the family to Japan for 3 weeks over Christmas and new year and fell in love with Japan. Also spent a lot of time on trains both fast and slow through some magnificent countryside and large cities. We even got up early on Christmas Day with our two daughters, took the train from Hiroshima to Shin-YAmaguchi and then returned on the Hello Kitty one. I really like the uniqueness of different trains, rather just standard trains everywhere.

When I got back I ordered a bit of Tomix to have a look at, so now am planning a dual level layout with one country on each. The only space I will have soon is 1.8m by 3m, but not too sure I can get the neccesary rise in it and a helix will take up too much room. Might need to wait until I can put up a dedicated shed.

I’ve been enjoying the forum and all the knowledge on it and I have lots to learn about trains in Japan. 

Keith

• Like 1

Keith,

Welcome to the forum! Glad you found the madhouse and got bit by the bug! 

Thats a good size and you should have the room to quite a bit in n scale with it.

start a thread on your layout, always great to watch the projects come along.

jeff

• Like 1

Welcome Keith! Glad you found us! The train bug bites hard and often you will not be able to get rid of it!  😛

You have quite a sizeable layout size, very good for a couple of loops around ~ You could experiment a little with SCARM software to see what kinds of layout you can have with that space before actually building it ~

Have fun!

• Like 1
On 3/5/2019 at 4:31 PM, Keith said:

Hi all,

just caught the Japanese bug. For some years I’ve been collecting UK outline (BR era) waiting until I had time to do something with it. On a whim I took the family to Japan for 3 weeks over Christmas and new year and fell in love with Japan. Also spent a lot of time on trains both fast and slow through some magnificent countryside and large cities. We even got up early on Christmas Day with our two daughters, took the train from Hiroshima to Shin-YAmaguchi and then returned on the Hello Kitty one. I really like the uniqueness of different trains, rather just standard trains everywhere.

When I got back I ordered a bit of Tomix to have a look at, so now am planning a dual level layout with one country on each. The only space I will have soon is 1.8m by 3m, but not too sure I can get the neccesary rise in it and a helix will take up too much room. Might need to wait until I can put up a dedicated shed.

I’ve been enjoying the forum and all the knowledge on it and I have lots to learn about trains in Japan. 

Keith

Welcome to the forum and the Aussie JNS team.

• Like 1
Claude_Dreyfus
On 2/11/2019 at 7:14 PM, GCS said:

And there are a few club, but nothing Japanese.

They’re all British steam engine based *yawn*

Our's did, but Bristol is a bit of a hike to Sussex!

2 hours ago, Claude_Dreyfus said:

Our's did, but Bristol is a bit of a hike to Sussex!

Ohhhh maybe a day trip?

does your club have a website?

Claude_Dreyfus
On 3/8/2019 at 5:38 PM, GCS said:

Ohhhh maybe a day trip?

does your club have a website?

It does (below)...but sadly the layout was sold on a few years ago, so we don't have a Japanese layout at present.

https://www.liphookmrc.com

Greetings from Canberra (Australia).

Just recently decided to get started in Japanese N scale trains (they were an interest for a couple of years already). For the moment I am mostly focusing on collecting E3 shinkansen variants (East i, Genbi) and trying to figure out how to make an acceptable temporary layout.

Edited by KiHa 283
  • Like 1

Welcome kiha! You got the bug! The e3s are nice as they will run on tighter radius and still look good! Just get some track and start playing with temp setups. Unitrak and finetrak do great on temp setups so you can play a lot to figure out what you like and don’t like.

Some fun ideas to do temp setups with

http://www.japanrailmodelers.org/pages/modelingjapan/tempoary.html

cheers

jeff

• Like 1
ChicagoSammo

Morning All,

I've just joined the forum.

I'm about a month away from laying track on our layout so it's a good time to be reading up about all of your hints and tips.

I have a Kato Shinkansen JR 500 Nozomi and Narita Express amongst an eclectic mix of British, Japanese and American passenger trains.

One thing that I am currently searching for is a Loksound V4 Micro or V5 Micro sound file that has Japanese language station announcements so if anyone could point me to a Japanese sound file link I would be very grateful.

Cheers,

Paul

Edited by ChicagoSammo
  • Like 2

Hi all together,

now after quite some time alwas reading i thought i could introduce myself.

I live in Switzerland and work as an mechanic. I started with this hobby around a year ago, shortly after my friend Waisneed. I had the idea of a model railroad for some time in my head, so with the start of Waisneed in this hobby it gave myself the push and the direction 😄

Currently i am building layouts to play around and experiment with DCC, so they are more on the practical side. On the train side i have mostly japanese trains that i like, so nothing particular.

Greetings

Nicolà

• Like 3

Welcome Nicolà! Glad waisneed’s entry into the hobby gave you the nudge over the edge. Nice that you guys can share the hobby, always fun to have others around to play with. That’s how we got our little club here started.

cheers

jeff