The Introduction Thread...

Darren Jeffries

Mudkip Orange
The EF63 is a fascinating prototype with an interesting history
Hobby Search has more info.

This locomotive was used with the Shinetsu main line of Nagano prefecture, Japan.

It is connected to help other trains.

Because the reason is because there is a sudden incline called the Usui mountain pass between Karuizawa Station from Yokokawa Station.

The Usui mountain pass was abolished by the Nagano Shinkansen having been completed in 1997. This locomotive retired itself with it, too.

Hey friend

My name is Brian Møller Pedersen, i live in a small village in Denmark called Almind near town of Kolding in Jutland, you may try to find it using google earth if you want  ;D

Im 42, married , no children, Pastry chef.

When i was a small boy i had a small train layout from LIMA in scale H0, but kind off lost interrest at that time, dont know why ??

Any way,after returning to Denmark after 7 year abroad (Iceland,USA,Chec Republic)as a Pastry chef, i kind a picked it up again model train, but i was not sure what kind and scale i wanted, so i like most here in Europe, started with Marklin H0 scale, but there was something missing, the lack of materiel , and everybody else had the same trains, so i started looking for some thing else, and that is where i fund Kato and unitrack with the Japanese trains, i was spellbound righ away.

Since then i have been building a all Kato Unitrack layout, with only kato-tomix and micro ace trains, i love them.

My house is to small to have the layout up at all time , so my brother made me 4 plates each 110x110 cm, so my layout is 110x440 cm wide/long,so i can assamble the layout when i want and take it down again after few day, it is a lot of work , but  that is fun also, and the layout is never the same  ;)

For me the hobby is very expensive, because not many Japanese trains are sold here in Europe, so i have to import it from around the world, and that is costly, with shipping and customs and all  :(

Any way, im here.

Kind regards

Brian Pedersen

Denmark

Brian - Welcome to the forum and what a great idea you brother had to make a sectional layout for you. As a pastry chef, you must have interesting hours and perhaps a different time schedule to work on your trains. As for Japanese Prototypes, it's the same in the USA, they are also expensive and I believe a lot of us Americans import them from Japan. Remember, have fun at the forum, the members here are great not to mention very funny.

bikkuri bahn

Hello everyone, my name is Andrew, and I live in Sapporo, Hokkaido, Japan.  My primary interest is in prototype trains, though you could call me an armchair modeler.  If I were to model Japanese trains, it would be HO scale(1/80) compact/modular layout, of an unelectrified  JNR single track line circa 1955-1965, complete with semaphore signaling.

Anyway, my prototype interests range widely- older EMUs like the 103, 113/115 types, the 485 type ltd. expresses ("long bonnet" especially), Blue trains, etc. to more recent stuff, private railway mainly, though JR Shinkansen and recent JR West rolling stock catches my interest.

I am also interested in railway technology- car building technology and builders, bogie design, power systems, as well as infrastructure including stations, track and signaling.  Learning new things everyday...

Lastly, and this is one other "charm point" of Japanese railways, is dense, complex railway operations- especially in the big metro areas of Tokyo and Osaka.  I am fascinated by the different categories of train services- locals, semi-expresses, rapids, expresses, ltd. expresses, rapid ltd. expresses, and so on.  And on top of that you have run-through operations coordinated seamlessly in a way impossible to conceive of (let alone operate) in my native U.S.

Anyway, should you have questions about Hokkaido railways, Sapporo public transport, or Japanese railway books or magazines, let me know.

Well I got to JNS via a roundabout way, I joined Trainboard. I posted about Bullet trains on another forum and got no response I figured there wasn't an interest. Ive been into n-scale for quite a while now on & off since I have other interests. I love most of Kato's trains, I model modern stuff from the U.S. I was recently bitten by some pics I saw online of a JR500 Series Bullet train and had to have one. So I went on eBay and promptly located and purchased an 8 car set although I hear its prototypical to run 16 cars at a time. My daughter has been into Japanese culture for quite a quite now so I guess its a bit of her rubbing off on me. Below are some pics of my incoming set from Japan. Thanks for the warm welcome.

10-510a.jpg

10-511a.jpg

Hey guys my name is John and Im from NYC, Im an IT Consultant by trade and I love N scale trains. Well I got to JNS via a roundabout way, I joined Trainboard after I posted about Bullet trains on another forum and got no response. A member sent me a link to JNS and thats how I got here. Ive been into n-scale for quite a while now on & off since I have other interests. I love most of Kato's trains, I use Kato UniTrak solely, I model modern US freight and a little passenger stuff. I was recently bitten the JR500 bug by some pics & videos I saw online and had to have one. So I went on eBay and promptly located and purchased an 8 car set although I hear its prototypical to run 16 cars at a time. My daughter has been into Japanese culture for quite some time now so I guess its a bit of her rubbing off on me. Below are some pics of my incoming set from Japan, thanks for the warm welcome. I currently do not have an operating layout but Im sure with all the great post from JNS getting up and running wont take too long

10-510a.jpg

10-511a.jpg

Hi bc6,

I'm glad you stopped by and decided to join. As you probably realized that most to the Model RR forums in the USA are N. American prototypes we are a unique group. The 500 Shinkansen is also my favorite train just take a look at my Avatar and it's good to see another New Yawker at the forum! Welcome aboard.

Well I got to JNS via a roundabout way, I joined Trainboard. I posted about Bullet trains on another forum and got no response I figured there wasn't an interest. Ive been into n-scale for quite a while now on & off since I have other interests. I love most of Kato's trains, I model modern stuff from the U.S. I was recently bitten by some pics I saw online of a JR500 Series Bullet train and had to have one. So I went on eBay and promptly located and purchased an 8 car set although I hear its prototypical to run 16 cars at a time. My daughter has been into Japanese culture for quite a quite now so I guess its a bit of her rubbing off on me. Below are some pics of my incoming set from Japan. Thanks for the warm welcome.

10-510a.jpg

10-511a.jpg

Welcoem to the community. I love those 500's. Kills me everytime I hear about them going to the 8-0car config.

Martijn Meerts

Welcome to the forum ;)

You'll be impressed with the quality/price of the Japanese models, I'm still surprised most of the time I get a new model (I'm used to the prices of the European brands ;))

Evening all ;) ...

My name's Dominik and I'm from Germany. Been a railfan for several years now and my interests are quite diverse. Of course I have a huge liking of several European railways, including, but not limited to, those of Germany, France, Switzerland, Austria and Italy. Last year I then developed a taste for the Japanese railways, though I cannot tell for sure how this happened. Maybe I felt like I needed some change from the things I knew, and thus it happened that I took some closer looks at Japanese N gauge models. I had never really considered N gauge before as I was only moderately impressed by those models in that scale I had seen until then, and therefore my European collection is H0 gauge. However, I was immediately impressed by the Japanese models and indeed soon found many types of Japanese rolling stock refreshingly different. Around Christmas then I bought my first two Japanese sets, followed by a locomotive in early April. However, I'm sure these will not have been my last purchases as these models can be almost frighteningly addictive :laugh: . In fact, I just ordered a 10-car E531 to supplement the 5-car unit I already have.

Cheers :cheesy .

Darren Jeffries

Dominik,

Nice to have another fellow European onboard. I know what you mean about addictive, My previous collection was quite the money drain!!

Welcome

Dominik - Welcome to the forum! You should look at the platform club news, Kia (SONIC 883) has a club that is located in Germany, they have some great layouts and meetings.

Hello Dominik, I hope I will not be intruding but, where do you live exactly in Germany?

Not too far from Frankfurt which in itself is a major rail node. Guess this explains my railway hobby in general :grin .

Hi,

I'm Vedo.

I'm in Australia, Melbourne. Father of a 2/12 year old boy.

The interst in trains was started again, having being abandonded at the age of 7, I'm now 40. It was my son who got me started again about 1 year ago. After collecting some HO, and G scales (Circus Train), I've settled on N scale.

I'm new to Japanese trains. But WOW, I love the anime and decorated trains, they look so cool. And they make my son's eyes light up, so it's very rewarding for both of us. I've got some Fleischmanns German style trains and Kato American style trains, and thought Japanese trains boring "all bullet trains look the same"

Then I discovered the colourfull Japnese trains. I'm hooked and collecting. I'm hoping this forum will keep me better informed in new releases, where to get them besides Ebay (which can be limiting), and some of the background behind the trains.

Next trains to get will be Tomix Thomas, Micro Ace Doraemon, and anything else that's colourfull and entertaining.

Have already Kato Orient Express, Kato Mt Fuji, and there is a Kitaro train somewhere in the postal system. Also a Micro Ace Squid, Fox, ? set yet to be shipped.

I'm preddy good with the DCC (have fitted to non DCC ready trains) and other small detailed things.

Track, I've settled on Kato, Tomix is too hard to get in Australia.

Vedo - Welcome to the forum and I have a feeling you are going to feel right at home here. A lot of our members are from Australia.

From what I've experienced at train shows, the Thomas train is a big hit with kids. I recommend taking a look in the gallery, you will see a variety of trains our members have in their fleets, some are very colorful.

Please ask questions and feel free to put photos of your trains in the gallery.

Hi,

I'm Vedo.

I'm in Australia, Melbourne. Father of a 2/12 year old boy.

The interst in trains was started again, having being abandonded at the age of 7, I'm now 40. It was my son who got me started again about 1 year ago. After collecting some HO, and G scales (Circus Train), I've settled on N scale.

I'm new to Japanese trains. But WOW, I love the anime and decorated trains, they look so cool. And they make my son's eyes light up, so it's very rewarding for both of us. I've got some Fleischmanns German style trains and Kato American style trains, and thought Japanese trains boring "all bullet trains look the same", no offence, I'II also be getting one when I have a better understanding about them, it's all still aboit confusing.

Then I discovered the colourfull Japnese trains. I'm hooked and collecting. I'm hoping this forum will keep me better informed in new releases, where to get them besides Ebay (which can be limiting), and some of the background behind the trains.

Next trains to get will be Tomix Thomas, Micro Ace Doraemon, and anything else that's colourfull and entertaining.

Have already Kato Orient Express, Kato Mt Fuji, and there is a Kitaro train somewhere in the postal system. Also a Micro Ace Squid, Fox, ? set yet to be shipped.

I'm preddy good with the DCC (have fitted to non DCC ready trains) and other small detailed things.

Track, I've settled on Kato, Tomix is too hard to get in Australia.

Welcome Vedo,

Also a Micro Ace Squid, Fox, Crab set yet to be shipped.

Nice set, very colorfull. It's three Kiha 40-700 (diesel rail cars) that are, if I'm not wrong, all motorized. I toyed a long time with the idea of buying it. Do you mind posting photos and  videos of the set when you get hold of it?

Martijn Meerts

I have the squid, fox, crab set, and all cars are motorized yes. Also, the Doraemon train is great, the paint job on it is excellent =)

Mudkip Orange

Keihan had a Hamtaro-themed train for a long time, though I've never seen it produced as a model.

Maybe if they do it again with the 3000 series, which is ready-to-run...

Hi everyone,

I'm Ash from the East Midlands in the UK, I am 29 years old and I am a huge fan of Japanese Modern Image Railways. I have been interested in Japanese Railways ever since I was a child and I am the Chairman of a transport enthusiast group that is known as Mirlees Media Group. I work as a volunteer at a railway museum and I will soon be going to work at the Nene Valley Railway as a volunteer as well. I have a small fleet of N gauge Japanese trains which is soon going to be increased and they are an EH500, DF200 and a JR100 Sanyo Shinkansen. I have ambitions to built a medium-sized N gauge layout based around Osaka as I am really into the JR West trains :happy10:. I look forward to using this forum more often and also becoming part of the community :cheesy.

Cheers

Ash

East Midlands

United Kingdom