KATO 2010 catalog

Never ceases to amaze me how model railway companies produce catalogues of their products and then charge you to buy them, model railways must be unique in this field, no industry type company does this!  can you imagine phoning your IT or hydraulics supplier and asking for a catalogue of parts and they say it will cost you £30

Walthers do the same in the states.

Not only are these guys making a fortune out of selling you the bits they make more by selling you the book of their bits.  I think we must all be mad  :icon_geek:

Never ceases to amaze me how model railway companies produce catalogues of their products and then charge you to buy them, model railways must be unique in this field, no industry type company does this!  can you imagine phoning your IT or hydraulics supplier and asking for a catalogue of parts and they say it will cost you £30

Walthers do the same in the states.

Not only are these guys making a fortune out of selling you the bits they make more by selling you the book of their bits.  I think we must all be mad  :icon_geek:

I never thought of this, but you're right. I've noticed some European and British manufacturers don't even show their products online, Peco only has a not very useful text list, but there is usually a link to buy a catalog. ???

Never ceases to amaze me how model railway companies produce catalogues of their products and then charge you to buy them, model railways must be unique in this field, no industry type company does this! 

Well, catalogs are expensive to produce, particularly colorful ones that contain material beyond simple product pictures. One way or the other, we'd pay for them, either directly or in overhead the company is going to recover on their products. Consider that some of the catalog-driven consumer companies (like Sears) discontinued their catalogs when the web came along.

That said, I agree that it's a bit ironic for the consumer to pay for what is basically advertising. That hasn't stopped me from buying more than a few such catalogs over the years.

these guys are not making much if any money on these catalogs. these suckers cost a lot to produce and print. what they are are the old drool books. they realize that the best way to get folks dreaming is to have something they can keep pawing over in their hands. this is something the internet just cant do. folks still like to have something in their hands at times. direct mail catalogs still work in the right instances very well.

even though technology is changing rapidly around us and modifying our behaviors and life styles it cannot change the human part of us. that part is biological and a million years of evolution. aint going to change over night. we are finding this in museum exhibits big time, when you make an effort to first talk to someone on very basic human terms before you flood them with information (ie the fire hose that technology has been blasting at the public the last decade or two) they really respond very positively!

so the catalog i think just does this, touches the human really well. i know i go over and over and over them just for pleasure of looking at the picture, which i never do with stuff like that on the web sites (just do that to gather info) and im on the computer maybe 12hrs a day...

cheers

jeff