Mudkip Dentetsu 2.0!

Mudkip Orange

Mudkip Orange

So my cordless drill is worthless (battery dies in 2 minutes). I checked out corded drills at Lowe's and Sears but I didn't like the selection so I ordered one from Amazon.

All the lumber and a big 4x8 sheet of foam is just sittin' there, waiting...

The Tomytec houses all come with a "mystery car." Apparently this guy drives an '88 Celica.

Nitpic time; it's a Celica XX (Celica Supra) MkII (1982-1986), not a MkIII ;)

Anyways, he must have excellent taste! Especially when he drives the MkII with the 2.0l 160 HP 1G-GEU engine :3

So my cordless drill is worthless (battery dies in 2 minutes). I checked out corded drills at Lowe's and Sears but I didn't like the selection so I ordered one from Amazon.

All the lumber and a big 4x8 sheet of foam is just sittin' there, waiting...

Muddy - Which cordless drill do you have? I have a Black & Decker, I got as a gift and it has the same problem dies after fairly quickly plus it's weak.

My Dremel drills are great for the precision work. There is one Dremel cordless drill I would love to have but I can't justify buying a 3rd one, (especially since recently my wife bought me the electric model with everything included) Here is the one I really like:

http://www.dremel.com/en-us/Tools/Pages/ToolDetail.aspx?pid=1100

Mudkip Orange

I have a Black & Decker, I got as a gift and it has the same problem dies after fairly quickly plus it's weak.

Ditto on all counts.

The one I ordered is also fairly cheap, but I figure there's no way for the power outlets to "die," at least not until the next hurricane.

(after the last hurricane people were swimming in highway underpasses. it was awesome)

Mudkip Orange

Got mah drill!

No time to work on the layout this weekend, as I've got two tests on Monday and Tuesday that make up a substantial portion of my grade this semester. But soon...

I'm looking forward to seeing what you do for an "eye-level" layout. I think that can look very good, although like photographs it's going to show up every little detail, for better or worse.

Mudkip Orange

D'oh! Turns out I threw out my remaining 1 1/2" drywall screws when I moved into this apartment in August. All I've got is #6x5/8", which won't go all the way through a 1x2.

Here's where I'm stuck at for the night:

post-161-1356992407271_thumb.jpg

Mudkip Orange

What makes me worry is that he has two of them. I mean, collecting *trains* is one thing, but....

Then you really don't wanna know what I've got holding down the blue foam while it dries!

Oh wait, yeah you do...

post-161-13569924114507_thumb.jpg

qwertyaardvark

Oh god no... i see words on those books like "finance" and "law" and "corporate" and the words "Management" & "Science" in same title... x_x;; If you were at Georgia Tech, you would unmistakably be on the "M-train" :)

Seeing foam placement reminds me, how's the development of the layout of the MD v2.1 going along? will it be the same design as v2.0, but this time with no tv table legs and walls in the way? I see multi-leveled terrain already :grin

Mudkip Orange

My secret plan is to get a job at a financial institution that's "too big to fail," then use my bonus money (generously provided by the US taxpayer) to buy lots of trains! w00t

The Tomytec houses all come with a "mystery car." Apparently this guy drives an '88 Celica.

Which series of buildings come with the cars? - I haven't seen that "feature" on the pages I've been looking at. I'd love to get hold of a variety of nice 1980's+ cars, but I don't much care for the Car Collection sets.

Mudkip Orange

Since y'all are bumpin' my thread I might as well post a progress photo.

The foam sub-base is done. This upcoming week is spring break so I figure I'll probably buy some spackle and continue the scenery sculpting (plaster cloth can go to hades as far as I'm concerned). The top of the hill is flat so I can put something pseudo-religious up there, probably an Inari shrine. Given my budget I think I may just cut out some red construction paper and leave it at that.

post-161-13569924225953_thumb.jpg

• Like 1
Krackel Hopper

So.. did I miss something here?

Version 3.0 - Is it a point-to-point/reversing loop sort of thing?  Mind posting a trackplan so I have a better idea of what is going on?

Mudkip Orange

I have no idea what the trackplan is. The finished part of the layout is half of a dogbone, with a standard Kato doubletrack at one end. what happens on the other side... I have no idea.

Mudkip Orange

So just a little update on my trains and life situation.

MD2.0 is essentially frozen at the state of the last photo. Completing the dogbone loop (which this module was to be a part of) along with the requisite sidings to allow all my trains to be "displayed" at once would've taken about $50 worth of additional Unitrack, and things were so tight I couldn't even spare that much.

In May I graduated and almost simultaneously started temping for the census. A decent chunk of my census checks went back into renting a car (since I'm transit-dependent at the moment) but I still made some cash. I haven't found any "career" jobs, but a friend hooked me up with a job doing tech support/call center work at her company, a job which I start on Monday.

About that tech support job... it's a half hour in a car, but 90 minutes away by bus (complete with walking transfer Downtown). Not an enjoyable commute, especially at the height of the Houston summer. For the time being, then, any and ALL free cash is being hoarded to make a decent downpayment on a car. This precludes all train acquisitions and expenses for the forseeable future.

Most of us go through living on a dime when we start out, you just have to be patient. It will come in time.

I remember digging in between the seats for coins and sneaking out to siphoning gas from the military trucks just to get home. Funny thing was the tanks on the 6packs  were so huge you could get a gallon or two and the needle would not register. They kept a log but just eyeballing the needle gave room for error. (USAF in Italy).

There was one time I ran out of gas 2AM and pushed my 914 1 mile. I needed to go another mile to get to this summit where I could coast into town. I was so tired !! I started pushing again and though "try to start it" and vvvvroooomm I was so happy! when it started I just made it to the summit and coasted to the station. I got my 5 mila lire of gas and made it home.  Those were the days. 

Mudkip it will be hard but its part of living, you will look back and reminisce just as we all do.

Remember this and you will be fine.- Best way out of a bad situation is to never get into one.

Inobu

Best of luck,

• Like 1
Mudkip Orange

The floor I work on has a combination of two-monitor and three-monitor workstations. The other night I cropped and formatted Quashlo's Tokyo Map so it would tile across three screens. I got it set up so Chiba is in the far bottom right corner. This puts the entire Yamanote in the primary monitor, with the extent of Chuo Line coverage dependent on how many monitors I'm running.

An interesting interaction between this formatting and our default desktop setup is that the Recycle Bin ALWAYS loads directly on top of Tokyo Disney. I have a hard time imagining this as anything other than social commentary by the network.

• Like 2