Suica/Passmo cards are temporarily unavailable

5 hours ago, mojo said:

https://www.itmedia.co.jp/news/articles/2306/02/news147.html

Due to a semiconductor shortage, you won't be able to buy a Suica or Passmo card until further notice. If you don't already have one that could be an issue when visiting Japan.

If you need one, you might check with companies that provide services to tourists to see if they have any left.

I read about this in another article and they said the "Welcome Suica" 28 day tourist cards weren't affected?

• Like 1

I read a different article a few days ago. Didn't say totally unavailable.  Said they (JRE) were limiting sales to a maximum number per day limit.

19 hours ago, Bob Martin said:

You can just add/create eCard version, without the need for physical card.

iPhone only though. It's so annoying, my Pixel phone has the hardware but Google doesn't enable it on non-Japanese models. Maybe they have to pay Sony a royalty or something, but even if that's the case Apple enable it world-wide.

Tony Galiani

I did not realize the Welcome Suica is a different card.  My previous Suica did not indicate any expiration date though the one I got for my recent trip did.  I ran it down to just a few yen but disappointed that these come with an expiry date.

Who knows, I may have to convert to eSuica for the next trip - a radical step for me!

Cheers,

Tony

It's a racket to make extra money.   People will put money on and not use it and it will expire...  (Welcome Suica)'

Another little bit of information I spotted today. A guy on Twitter read an old Suica card from found Takanawa Gateway listed on it. Takanawa Gateway didn't exist in 2005.

It seems that JR reallocated existing station codes sometimes. If your software is old or you read an old card, the data might be wrong.

For those planning Japan trips at some point in the kind of near future, realize that the USD is at an excellent exchange ratio right now.  One way to take advantage of that (and trusting it won't get that much better, though if it does thats great) is to start putting money now, at the good rate, on your virtual Suica or Pasmo if you're using an iPhone and have one in your Wallet app or on your Apple Watch.   I put ¥ 5000 on mine and ¥ 4500 on the wife's today at about ¥ 143 official rate.  I put a little on a couple months ago as a test as well in the ¥13x range.  I'll probably put some more on next month and each month as long as the rate is good.  That way, for our hopeful trip next summer, we'll be charged and ready and at what is now a favorable rate.  If it stays up that's great but if the rate becomes less favorable by then we've been able tgo bank some easily without having to deal with actual exchange, cash, or whatever.

I would assume the €, £, AUSD, etc are at reasonably favorable rates as well?  Would probably work for you folks as well if you're planning a trip in a reasonable amount of time and want to start banking some.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Isn’t there a ¥20,000 limit?  Hardly worthwhile, IMO, and you never know where currency rates are headed.  I’d rather load up on ¥ from the bank now if you truly believe the rates will slip. Personally, I’ll just head to an ATM asap and load up my Suica.  

On a related note, a recent 21-day JR green pass purchase was <$600US.  That’s the lowest I’ve ever paid in the past 7 years.

Yugamu Tsuki

I was actually going through this exact thread yesterday with the same idea. I just want to find my old Suica to transfer over.

Every cent counts.  If I can set aside $30-$40 a month and get a better rate while doing it that helps when the time to travel actually comes.  If I've gotten 10-15% better than the rate then, which is my guess based on rate history, then so much the better.

If it doesn't work for you, then just ignore it.

And if all else fails, the ticket machines are still there! (Though JR does charge you slightly more to do that.) And may in any case be your only option on some local lines.

• Like 1
Tony Galiani

@chadbag - Intriguing idea.  Since I am thinking it may be time for me to get into the 21st Century, I have been wondering about going with an eSuica for my next trip.  The fact that Suica cards now expire is also an inducement for that.  And I may go totally bonkers and get an eSim for my phone as well!  I have gone so far as to determine that my phone does have that capability.  Now it is a matter of sorting out the various options on offer.

Ciao,

Tony

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Beaver said:

And if all else fails, the ticket machines are still there! (Though JR does charge you slightly more to do that.) And may in any case be your only option on some local lines.

For now... I was reading that JR has apparently stopped selling some tickets at certain stations. People were buying the cheapest 170 yen ones and then going to unmanned stations where there is no barrier. They could see that about 90% of 170 yen tickets made longer journeys than they paid for.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Tony Galiani said:

@chadbag - Intriguing idea.  Since I am thinking it may be time for me to get into the 21st Century, I have been wondering about going with an eSuica for my next trip.  The fact that Suica cards now expire is also an inducement for that.  And I may go totally bonkers and get an eSim for my phone as well!  I have gone so far as to determine that my phone does have that capability.  Now it is a matter of sorting out the various options on offer.

Ciao,

Tony

I ended up with 2 of the virtual Suica.  One on my iPhone and one on the Apple Watch.  The Apple Watch is the one I actually use while there but the iPhone one was a test when I was having reload problems...  When I'm there I use the phone at drink machines etc until its tapped out and then just use the watch.  The thing about the phone is it lets me load very exact amounts so I can top it off to exactly what I need and zero it out.  The watch, IIRC, is one where you add increments but not exact amounts that you choose (ie, you can add 100 or 200 but not 151).

I also have a virtual Pasmo -- mainly as a test -- but one I'll use at drink machines etc until its gone.  I occasionally add a little to it as a test.  Right now I tried to add 1000 to it and it failed from my Apple Card though the Suica worked just fine...  YMMV.

• Like 1
Yugamu Tsuki

Signed up for the wallet last night and no issues transferring my physical Suica to a digital version, though I had to use MC for refilling since Visa isn't working still.

15 hours ago, Yugamu Tsuki said:

I had to use MC for refilling since Visa isn't working still.

VISA cards have not been working for one year already. Maybe it’s more than a technical problem?

Marc

Yugamu Tsuki

Yeah, I was hoping something had changed. Still not a fan of digital even though it's easier. I enjoy having the IC Pass cases from various franchises to match my trips...